T-amp for Energy RC-10?

Lee Morrow

Honorable
May 31, 2013
So I was thinking about getting a pair of energy RC-10s, but I don't exactly have the budget for an integrated amp. I'm only planning to use them for desktop speakers anyways. Are these speakers efficient enough to get by with only a good t amp?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Those speakers are fairly efficient so don't need a lot of power in a near field application like yours. A t amp won't get the full quality out of them but should work. Be aware that the speakers have a 4 ohm minimum impedance so are bit harder to drive than some and that the power rating of those little amps is usually exaggerated in the description so you have to get the spec sheet and look at it carefully.
If you budget is more than $100us then a used stereo receiver or integrated amp might be better sounding and more flexible.
Those speakers are fairly efficient so don't need a lot of power in a near field application like yours. A t amp won't get the full quality out of them but should work. Be aware that the speakers have a 4 ohm minimum impedance so are bit harder to drive than some and that the power rating of those little amps is usually exaggerated in the description so you have to get the spec sheet and look at it carefully.
If you budget is more than $100us then a used stereo receiver or integrated amp might be better sounding and more flexible.

Solution