T-Mobile Cuts Unlimited Plan to 2GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Sigh, it was bound to happen. Lets just hope verizon and sprint can now attract more costumers that dont want anything to do with at&t anymore.[/citation]
I don't get it. Verizon's plans aren't any cheaper. Why is Verizon considered the good guy here? IMO, Verizon and AT&T (and now T-Mobile included) are just the same.

Aggrolicious

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
At least with Verizon you get great coverage and awesome speeds (especially 4G LTE). Sprint lies by calling WiMax 4G, it's more like 3.5G. : )

G

well in bulgaria my plan is unl data 1000mins free call 50 free sms and mms for 15$ :)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]anonymous-[/nom]Here in Thailand I get unlimited Internet for $20 - included with the normal voice and SMS service. If the T-Mobile plan is worse, then I call it sub-third-world network service.If you are in the States, you may be surprised how much better the public bus and other services elsewhere are - more comfortable to Just surprised no one complains about this - it's as bad as paying $20 for a McDonnalds hamburger (with a 2 year contract).[/citation]
Spot on!
There is a saying, every country deserves their leaders. In this case, greedy corporates, and politicians letting them do as they wish with evident "benefits" for the people.
"Anonymous to Sony way" might be one of the courses of action to take. Simply vote with the wallet is the other, but they will still make their big big cuts from those that go "meh, I don't need 5-10 GB/month", and whenever any small competitor tries to do what technology today allows, unlimited and/or low price, they will just low the price till the competitor gets out of business, or buy them out.
... "sub-third-world network"... that's a great way to put it. May I quote you on future articles on traffic limitations by providers?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
so now for unlimited... that leaves sprint... and only sprint, guess I'm stasying right where i'm at, but if they take away me unlimited everythign i'll probably just swap back to a dumbphone with txting plan, when are they did back in 1984.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]G00fySmiley[/nom]so now for unlimited... that leaves sprint... and only sprint, guess I'm stasying right where i'm at, but if they take away me unlimited everythign i'll probably just swap back to a dumbphone with txting plan, when are they did back in 1984.[/citation]
That's what I did, but where I live the problem is way worse.

G

you (the article author) don't understand the term "bandwidth", do you? It is a rate (per time) not an amount summing up...

jafox1hardware

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
What the hell
I thought Tomshardware was about technology & news what with all the Ads trying to sell clothing shoes and even swim suits how come you are not policing your site?

This seems to be getting worse every time I visit the site, have I missed something is it supposed to be alright for people to do this, are they paying for the right to do this????

zolutar

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I frankly am fine with it. First its a Soft cap. 2 gb free flowing then throttled speeds thereafter. now for you data hogs, why not get a real ISP or a true data stick and stop slowing the networks to a crawl with your torrent downloading on a freaking tethered phone.T-mo is right, most phones dont need more than a gig. Heck a blackberry rarely needs more than 200 mb/mth.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]zolutar[/nom]I frankly am fine with it. First its a Soft cap. 2 gb free flowing then throttled speeds thereafter. now for you data hogs, why not get a real ISP or a true data stick and stop slowing the networks to a crawl with your torrent downloading on a freaking tethered phone.T-mo is right, most phones dont need more than a gig. Heck a blackberry rarely needs more than 200 mb/mth.[/citation]
Then lower the price of 2 GB limits in comparison to unlimited. Just don't advertise unlimited and change it half way. I guess that's the way it is supposed to be with technology advancing.
But, the answer is here: [citation][nom]anonymous-[/nom]Here in Thailand I get unlimited Internet for $20 - included with the normal voice and SMS service. If the T-Mobile plan is worse, then I call it sub-third-world network service.If you are in the States, you may be surprised how much better the public bus and other services elsewhere are - more comfortable to Just surprised no one complains about this - it's as bad as paying $20 for a McDonnalds hamburger (with a 2 year contract).[/citation]

djdanrt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Stupid companies going about this the wrong way. Any kind of restriction of the internet only slows down the evolution of it. Look at all the streaming services like Netflix or the cloud computing. If a lot of the ISPs had their way 10 years ago we would still be getting 1mb and charged a fortune for it. How would this rich internet content, or Netflix or cloud computing fit into it. I thought of the idea of streaming movies long before Netflix but I knew it would never happen into we had the bandwidth. To me the carriers are shooting themselves in the foot. We need things like fiber and 4G as mainstream! When they are mainstream more things like work from home will be more feasable along with cloud computing. Plus tons of new things I cant even think of right now.

G

blobl: you (the article author) don't understand the term "bandwidth", do you? It is a rate (per time) not an amount summing up...

Technically yes, but data providers have been merging the definitions together for decades now. In this case, they are using the term bandwidth to indicate a total sum of data downloaded per month, even though this is actually incorrect usage of the word.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I think people should stand first for doing what they wish, whatever they wish, to the devices they buy, including tethering and hot spot.
Yes, some are standing. Anonymous are standing for the right to own a device.
Companies on the other hand should be regulated to provide for the people, including, but not limited to, not providing metered service, either mobile or fixed. That's my opinion though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6peRQV5hFEQ
^^ "The UBB Deception" for those that have already seen it. A nice view for those who have not.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
the limited part of the plan is the rate...standard until 2GB, then limited beyond that.

if we want to get wordy...TMobile implies unlimited data at the maximum possible (rates fluctuate, i think?) bandwith. they, then, serve up unlimited data heavy rate restriction imposed when the data amount surpasses 2GB.

fine...but only if you bill it as such. my guess is that they aren't being very clear about this up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.