T-Mobile Takes Music to 11, Drops Streaming Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hmmm, that's pretty significant for people with non-unlimited data plans. I'm with T-Mobile and have unlimited so it really doesn't do anything for me. I actually have Rhapsody premium service and have used it for years and stream music all day and night so I run up a pretty good data usage each month.

Let's hope they don't keep track on the back end and throttle your data after a certain amount of usage.

sc14s

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
This is bad for music streaming services, and , as when AT&T did it, its something that is anti competitive , so if this does catch on elsewhere would be bad for the consumer because it gives the advantage to the company holding the data plan and the disadvantage to companies like pandora, rhapsody, ect.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This is bad for music streaming services, and , as when AT&T did it, its something that is anti competitive , so if this does catch on elsewhere would be bad for the consumer because it gives the advantage to the company holding the data plan and the disadvantage to companies like pandora, rhapsody, ect.

This isn't bad for streaming services at all. For one thing, any music service can be voted in under the way T-Mobile is doing it. Secondly, no other service is being harmed in any way. If a person doesn't want to use one of the services then nothing has changed for them, they go on as normal.

Truth is, this can actually help ALL services even ones who's content isn't delivered outside the cap. Services can now market to people saying to use the extra data they now have available to give their service a try.

Also, Pandora and Rhapsody are 2 of the services T-Mobile is allowing to be streamed outside of the data plans so have no idea how you think they are any way being disadvantaged.

G

I have unlimited data, in 3 cities across the USA! That is what I think when I hear t-mobile.

Well you are not thinking clearly then. Wake up, this is a new T-Mobile. Outdated slams against them are outdated.

RedJaron

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hmmm, that's pretty significant for people with non-unlimited data plans. I'm with T-Mobile and have unlimited so it really doesn't do anything for me.
Let's hope they don't keep track on the back end and throttle your data after a certain amount of usage.
Actually, since you have the unlimited plan, this sounds like you can stop paying for the premium Rhapsody service since that's now included in your wireless bill? And I read my email on it ( got basic T-Mobile here, ) and they say this doesn't get counted in anyway against your normal data usage so throttling shouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.