Solved! Tablet AND smartphone? Why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello! (I don't know if this is the right category to post this question, but it seems to kind of fit.)

I have been wanting to get an android tablet for while, but then a important question hit me....

Is there any point in having a tablet AND a smartphone?

I am planning on getting an android smartphone sometime this year or early next, and I just wanted to know if there was any point in having a tablet as well as a smartphone.

I am just trying to see if there is any point having both because I really want a tablet, but if it would be redundant with a smartphone, I guess I might save my money.

So, is there any advantage or use in having both?

Please reply!!

Thanks!!

--- Yogman

P.S. I posted this question in the smartphone section as well, I am just trying to get a better and different answers.

Solution
They have their different purpose, this is how I would classify them:

Smartphone- for constant on the move, out of home situation with no external power situation. Enough power for running phone specific app, web browsing and media playback.

Tablet- short period of stops between move, out of home, no external power situation. Enough power for running table specific app, web browsing and media playback, with better result compare with smart phone.

Netbook/ultrabook- for long period of stops between move, out of home, external power available for occational recharge. Enough power for office application, web browsing and media palyback.

Laptop- for long period of stops between move, out of home, limited battery life and often relies on...

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you very much for your answer! Out of most of the post, I think this is one of the better answers!

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you for your help, and I will take your point of view into consideration! Still not absolutely sure what I will do in the end, but these posts have been really helpful! :)

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
If you want a portable computer, you dont need a tablet, you need a notebook, thats for both indoors and outdoors.

I think a a tablet is great for taking notes, as in a lecture. You cant do that on a smartphone....well you can, but not that fast/great

If you have a tablet, you still NEED a smartphone. If you have a smartphone, than you have a smartphone. You only need a tablet if you need a tablet, it has nothing to do with phones.

jobs4mvr

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
I am a bit surprised that most people are such a black and white thinkers - you can have either this, or you can have that - that's it? Come on people, you can do better than that!

Most don't seem to feel the need to be able to have both in the same device - i.e., a Smartphone and a tablet in one. Ever since I had my first Smartphone (the G1), I have always felt that it is so inconvenient and painful to carry a phone to make calls and a tablet with a larger screen a little larger (and definitely not one of those 10" monstrosities) than the typical 4"/5" smartphones out there, and also having to tether the two in order to do something when you away from Wi-Fi...

So, after some research and hunting, I went out and bought myself a "ViewSonic Viewpad 7," a 7"-UNLOCKED-GSM-Phone-cum-Tablet for LESS THAN $300!

It's been over 6 months now, and have had no problems with it - and have turned heads wherever I go. Yes, I cannot hold it against my ear like a traditional phone, but then I have a "Schosche" BlueTooth with a pair of earpieces fitting into both ears, clear audio, it's awesome. Yes, I can get internet whenever and wherever I am (though the connection is "E" most of the time) without the pain of tethering. Also, do not have to hold the phone against my head (cancerous or not, I do not know, but why take a chance when you can avoid it, I am thinking...).

- It is not the best (but again, there are not many others out there), but is sufficiently equipped for phone calls and my browsing needs.
- Do not have to tether.
- Fits into my pant pockets!
- Is NOT a 10" device.