Solved! Tablet AND smartphone? Why?

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello! (I don't know if this is the right category to post this question, but it seems to kind of fit.)

I have been wanting to get an android tablet for while, but then a important question hit me....

Is there any point in having a tablet AND a smartphone?

I am planning on getting an android smartphone sometime this year or early next, and I just wanted to know if there was any point in having a tablet as well as a smartphone.

I am just trying to see if there is any point having both because I really want a tablet, but if it would be redundant with a smartphone, I guess I might save my money.

So, is there any advantage or use in having both?

Please reply!!

Thanks!!

--- Yogman

P.S. I posted this question in the smartphone section as well, I am just trying to get a better and different answers.

Solution
They have their different purpose, this is how I would classify them:

Smartphone- for constant on the move, out of home situation with no external power situation. Enough power for running phone specific app, web browsing and media playback.

Tablet- short period of stops between move, out of home, no external power situation. Enough power for running table specific app, web browsing and media playback, with better result compare with smart phone.

Netbook/ultrabook- for long period of stops between move, out of home, external power available for occational recharge. Enough power for office application, web browsing and media palyback.

Laptop- for long period of stops between move, out of home, limited battery life and often relies on...

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
What is your intended usage? For general calling/sms/music, the smart phone will serve just fine (plus it's more portable).
On the other hand, for web-browsing, watching videos, movies, the tablet gives a better experience. Apps are also more fun on the tablet (although, android apps tailored for tablets are not as varied as those for iOS)

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Well, I would mainly use a tablet and or smartphone for watching videos, playing games, and browsing the internet at home (when I don't want to be at my desk) or at places that offer wifi. I would also use it for random apps also! :) And when Netflix's comes out for the tablet, probably that...

So... What do you think?

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I would just stick with the smartphone personally, but that's mostly a budget decision. If you have the finances to buy both and would like both, go for it! They tend to fill the same niche with slightly different benefits for either, but they can both be very convenient in their own right. But it would be really nice to not be running down your phone battery as you watch videos/play apps/etc.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

I don't know... I mean, I want a tablet, and I am not quite sure when I am going to get a smartphone, but....

I mean, a tablet would be nice for movies and browsing the internet (Especially on the go), but I just don't know...

Phones are horrible for any type of prolonged use unless you are a teenager and can't move 2 feet without sending a text. Then you'd want one because the tablet is too large to carry around easily.

They would have 2 pretty separate uses, they complement each other pretty well. When you are not so mobile, use a tablet, when not at home, use the phone. Ebooks, internet browsing, movies, writting things longer than a few words, all better on a tablet.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

So you don't see having a tablet and a smartphone as a waist of money?

I personally really want a tablet, I just want to make sure I am not screwing myself by getting a tablet, then later also getting a smartphone...

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Won't be replying after this, just popped in for a second...

I own multiple of both, and work in the industry, and my recommendation is a cheap WiFi tablet (save money over 3G/connected version) and a Cheap semi-smart phone, preferably with tethering.

You don't seem to need the higher end of a smart phone, and don't seem to need 3G Tablet as much for on the road since it wasn't in your primary description.
A good browser phone (not full-on high-end smart phone) would give you good SMS, Phone and some browser capability and probably twitter/facebook. A phone tethering option would be a plus to give your tablet a connection while on the road when you need it.

Cheap Android based browser friendly tablets are easy to come by, especially if you are willing to buy second generation. Same with Smart phones, alot of last year's FoYo upgradable phones are pretty cheap right now, just be sure the battery is in good condition or cheap to replace.

If you want more of either option then you weigh the balance of each and add money to the price of each accordingly.

If you think you want both at the same time but can't afford it, then a big screen smart phone (like a Samsung Galaxy IIs or HTC Amaze, etc) is OK and gives you a good browser page while being a little on the small but manageable side, but watching Netflix on a phone is not that great unless it's on a bus/train, not sitting across from it at any distance, verything else is manageable with the others, even using a tablet with a bluetooth headset for call if you have the right tools to enable that on your tablet.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Ok, well if and when I get a smartphone, I will probably getting one of the nicer ones (Lets say for instance the Droid incredible 2, or droid 3), and as for a tablet, I would probably be looking at the Asus transformer (without the keyboard), or the Acer Iconia tab or like wifi only tablets...

Now that being said, what do you think? Just smartphone? Smartphone and tablet? What do you think?

Pyree

Distinguished
They have their different purpose, this is how I would classify them:

Smartphone- for constant on the move, out of home situation with no external power situation. Enough power for running phone specific app, web browsing and media playback.

Tablet- short period of stops between move, out of home, no external power situation. Enough power for running table specific app, web browsing and media playback, with better result compare with smart phone.

Netbook/ultrabook- for long period of stops between move, out of home, external power available for occational recharge. Enough power for office application, web browsing and media palyback.

Laptop- for long period of stops between move, out of home, limited battery life and often relies on external power. Enoguh power for office application, web browsing, media playback and some mulitmedia application.

Desktop replacement laptop- for out of home, long period of stops between move or static out of home, limited battery life and almost always on external power. Enough power for almost every consumer activity including 3D and gaming application.

LAN box, moveable desktop, etc- static out of home, no battery or only UPS, always on external power. Enough power for almost every consumer activity including 3D and gaming application high end 3D and gaming application.

Desktop- Static at home, no battery or only UPS, always on external power. Enough power for almost every consumer activity including 3D and gaming application high end 3D and gaming application.

Solution

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

This help a lot, but it doesn't really answer the question. Is it worth having both a smartphone and a tablet?

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

You're going to have to make that decision for yourself. You've already gotten a ton of well-thought-out responses and peoples' opinions either way, but eventually the decision is your own.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished

If you dont know why you should have one or the other, it is clear that you are completely unaware as to why you want either of them. If you dont know why you want something, chances are your going to go get something that doesnt do anything for you. Everyone needs a phone anyway, so i say go with the smartphone, buy a laptop if you want portable computing that is of any real use.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

You miss understood what I have been saying..... I know exactly why I would want a smartphone and/or a tablet for, I am just asking if having both would be worth it...

Pyree

Distinguished
I think you are getting persuaded by ads and is about to become a victim of the society's consumerism where you must have everything. Just be really careful.

Can you estiamte how much time you are going to spend using your smartphone vs your tablet?

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Well, seeing as I don't have either yet, how will I estimate?

Also, it would depend on what instance. I might not use a tablet a ton at home, but I may use it alot when I am out... But I really don't know how much time I would waist using it.

Since you don't have smartphone or a tablet yet, I recommend going with the smartphone 1st. From there you can decide if you want to buy a tablet as well.

Think of a tablet as a larger phone but without the ability to make phone calls. Skype is excluded though, 'cause while you do Skype-to-Skype and Skype-to-phones (for a fee), people cannot contact you from their cellphone to your Skype account. Actually they could with a program called OpenSky (not free) installed on their smartphone, but I don't know what happened to that program. You also can use Skype to make emergency phone calls as well. Of course, don't forget that people still use landline phone like businesses and regular people. While many people have cellphones, not all of them are smartphones.

So go get an Android phone or an iPhone. You can use it to play games, read books, watch videos, surf the web, etc. Oh yeah, I forget, you can make phone calls with them too (I think). If you find doing such things on a small screen it a bit too much of any annoyance or it strains your eyes, then that is the point where you start considering if buying a tablet is worth it.

Remember if you are going to buy a tablet and bring it with you everywhere you go, then it is another thing you would be carrying around. Theft and misplacement should be something you need to think about.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The point is just because :D. It's nice to play android games on a bigger screen, and there are some nifty uses for tablets. It's great to replace a laptop as far as something portable to contain reading material or watching netflix (love it on my ASUS transformer) or any other multimedia use. A tablet is not going to replace even a low end laptop when it comes to doing any kind of real work like word processing, web design, graphic design, or programming.

Pyree

Distinguished
^+1 on the productivity part apart from if your get a Intel base tablet with attachable keyboard.

May be a dumb phone and a tablet, if you want to save some money. But If you have the money, there is nothing that can stop you from getting a smart phone and a tablet.

Don't get both smartphone and tablet if you have to save money for both of them and your reason for getting them is because many people have got one. That is what I will classify as buying for the wrong reason.

Are you going to be moving (walk, jog, bike?) and using the device when you are looking at and interacting with the screen? If you are, then the screen on a tablet is too large and will be clumpsy as well as occupy too much of your view that you cannot nevigate. You need a smartphone.

Of course, you can alway stop walking, jogging, biking a and use the tablet to do your thing first. But that is the secrafice on mobility you need to make.

But if you are out of home, and most of the time is travelling in transport, at office, waiting in a transit, airport etc, then get a tablet.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Just FYI on a side note, If I were to get a tablet, I would probably get the Asus Transformer (or the transformer 2 when it comes out). How do you like yours?

TRENDING THREADS