Tablet For Wife - Ipad Air, Sumsung 10.1, other

dargo72

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Hello,

I am looking to get a tablet for my wife. Now originally I was gong to get her a laptop, but by the time I customized any of them to a higher screen resolution level, the prices skyrocketed. Combined with he fact that my wife does not really "need" a laptop due to her activities (see below) and the fact that we have multiple other desktops and laptops in the house.

OK, so my wife's daily routine with the desktop she currently uses is basically, Skype Video chat twice a day, a lot of Utube video watching, instant chatting with friends oversees, and posting in forums.

As you can see, she doesn't really need a laptop, although if I got her a tablet I would get one of those wireless keyboards for when she wanted to type more than a few words.

To be honest, the main reason I was looking at a laptop was screen-size, preferring a 13.3" vs an 8-10". However, after reading more about the screens of these tablets and see some in person, it may not be an issue. (Also, I intend to take her to check everything out and make the final decision).

Now, I am not an Apple guy at all. All of our phones are Android (Samsung) and I've always refused to buy Apple anything due to their business practices and their prices.

However, for my wife's needs, it appears the Ipad Air is a viable choice. I'm really looking for something that just works seamlessly for her and she does need 1000s of apps (although I know Apple has many). What's more important is that the apps she does get work without the hiccups I see from time to time with Android.

Now, the Galaxy seems very nice as well and it is upgradable. However, based on what we're using this for, I don't really foresee the need to upgrade at any point. I think I'd be much more likely to get a new model 3 years down the road or so.

Now, I realize I am leaning towards the Apple. Is there something important that I'm missing here? Is there a better tablet that I'm not even thinking of? Can I get programs like Skype, Viber, and Whatsapp for the Apple?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

nick3232

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
You can get those apps on the Apple tablet,but the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Note/Tab are much powerful tablets.With Apple you are paying for the brand.I prefer the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Note/Tab,With the note being the most powerful