Tablet Forecast Increased as Apple’s Dominance Grows

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The good news is that if billions of dollars worth of ipads are in use, the rest of us can ask our friends why they own a ipad and why they can't live without their ipad.

I looked at the notebooks at Costco yesterday and to my surpirse they only had Windows 7 starter and only larger laptops has a operating system called Windows Premier. Now I am bginning to undersand why the entire world are buying Apple Products because XP is nowhere to be found and the new stuff does not need to be commented on.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I enjoy my windows 7 tablet, and will enjoy it even more once windows 8 is released. Its a failure in marketing that has kept the ipad crowned at tablet king.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
iZombies will buy whatever Lord Jobs serves up to them

Kind of reminds me of that Apple commercial that was based on "1984" EXCEPT Apple ISINGSOC!

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Other companies need to focus in creating very solid and original products that will have a real market supporting them but they shouldn't count on Apple's own mistakes to succeed.

Also understand, consumers and light users don't need powerful workstations. Actually consumers went in the opposite direction first with the netbook introduction and now with tablets and they are the biggest market or force driving the industry.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
None can reach the sales #s of Apple because Apple is the only one with a zealous religious following.

The USA media delivers and trumpets the sermon of their boy Steve Jobs unconditionally. They are largely responsible for the hype surrounding the iPad , Apple, and for why Apple's gullible fanboys fail to see the light. It is called manipulation and brainwashing.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I don't think it really has to do with a better tablet coming out, I think it has more to do with what is happening with the Droid phones.

1. There needs to be a droid tablet with the advertising along the lines of the Droid commercials w/ verizon ... good marketing. Other than the Samsung 10.1 there is very little android tablet marketing going on out there right now.

2. Price ... the reason why android phones are taking off is because they provided a product with a very close set of features matching the iphone at a lower cost. In many cases much lower cost with the earlier phones and we are starting to see more expensive droids now that the droid market share is catching up to the Apple market share.

3. More apps - This is getting much better, I have had my ASUS Transformer for I think about 2 months now, and in that period of time the tablet based Android apps have gotten better both in quality and selection. The android market has also improved in both quality and quantity, don't get me wrong its not scratching the iPad yet but then the iPad's had a solid 1 1/2 year lead over the reasonably priced android tablets (I say reasonably priced because the xoom was not so reasonable when it was first released in a 3G only option).

We are starting to see some of these things, the ASUS Transformer is selling now for $350 and the apps that are available are much better. Netflix was released today via an update. Honeycomb is getting better with two updates since 3.0 was released in the last six months. More and more game developers are porting their apps from the iPad to the android tablet platform. Most people forget that the android tablet market has only existed for less than 1 year Acer A500 and Motorola Xoom started it, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 gives people a sexy sleek device and the ASUS Transformer gives them a more cost effective option. Keep in mind that most of these Android devices have equal if not better specs than the iPad and iPad 2, it takes time to build a development demand for companies to port their products.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Oh, and the media seems to think that because the HP TouchPad failed, that all non-iPad tablets are failures. Sadly enough, the HP TouchPad and Blackberry playbooks never had a chance in the market vs Apple & Google they just didn't want to admit it. HP and WebOS failed in the phone market before HP decided to push the tablet on the technology, they should have learned from their first mistake. Blackberry is watching their market vanish to the iPhone/Android avalanche, and instead of putting their time and effort into creating a Blackberry phone OS that really could compete with a App Store infrastructure that could match to android/iOS they decided to waste their money on the tablet fad. They were instant losers before the products hit the shelves.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
As an Apple zombie who prays to Steve Jobs 5 times a day and secretly has a mancrush on him...

1. Apple has done a better job, that's why they are in the most profitable company. That's the reason why HP, DELL, ASUS, to name a few would give a testicle to be in their place.
2. It's not about specs or how many cores or how much RAM, etc. These are things that matter to us as tech people, but the rest of the planet doesn't give two shits for the most part. They want it to work out of the box, they want it to look good, and they want it not to crash. Finally, they will (as history shows) pay more money for it.
3. You can keep bashing Apple, but they aren't winning because they suck. It's called business - Google says their product is the best. Dell says they products are amazing, Samsung says their products get you laid... Apple does the same and delivers mostly (save the antenna on the iPhone 4).
4. What will change it is acknowledging the above, stop making excuses, and building a better product. Stop playing catchup. Learn where your strengths are and capitalize on them and learn when not to enter the market. HP Failed and Blackberry is doing the same if they don't watch it.
5. Failing to do the above, means you will continue to fail until Apple stops doing it's job.

Now I give an example: I purchased an Android tablet Viewsonic Gtablet for my mom to use - I had to root the damn thing and remove all the crapware and horrible OS. I also had a great time navigating the Android App store which was an exercise in pain.
Rooting is something that most people (99% of the public) don't know or want to know how to do... They have better things to do... Apple realizes this and capitalizes on that market which has money to spend.

I come here to learn about new products, and trends. I love reading the smart comments - for the most part, people here are smart and funny to boot but the hate has become ridiculous - It's like Apple just punched your baby and kicked your dog. It's a frikkin' company just like Google.

#peaceout

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
"Exactly how is "dominance growing" if apple went from 94% to 74%?"

This.

You can't buy that kind of marketing. Here we have "respectable" companies saying ridiculous things like "dominance growing" when clearly it's shrinking. To somehow turn, loosing 20% market share as something good. Blows my mind. Also, this same company is predicting Apple to control the loser share of the tablet market by 2015.

Every time they mention Android they say negative things like "slower-than-expected sales " and every time they mention Apple, they say things like "lion's share." For a company that is going from 94% to 44% in just a couple of years. Freaking amazing the amount of bias. It's like saying the Android explosion is slower than we expected, and the Apple sauce it's making is surprisingly rigid, for apple sauce.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Personally I still think that tablets in their current form are a fad. They currently don't have any real use. They have limited functionality and nearly every feature they have they do worse than a standard PC/laptop.

That's not to say that they won't ever be successful, just that currently they are mostly useless, just a shiny new toy to throw money away on.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]bounty[/nom]"Exactly how is "dominance growing" if apple went from 94% to 74%?"This. You can't buy that kind of marketing. Here we have "respectable" companies saying ridiculous things like "dominance growing" when clearly it's shrinking. To somehow turn, loosing 20% market share as something good. Blows my mind. Also, this same company is predicting Apple to control the loser share of the tablet market by 2015.Every time they mention Android they say negative things like "slower-than-expected sales " and every time they mention Apple, they say things like "lion's share." For a company that is going from 94% to 44% in just a couple of years. Freaking amazing the amount of bias. It's like saying the Android explosion is slower than we expected, and the Apple sauce it's making is surprisingly rigid, for apple sauce.[/citation]

"94% to 74%" only addresses 1 statistic concerning tablets. What are the other figures? Where are the graphs, tables, etc, to fully flesh out your "opinion" that its shrinking? I can think of a couple ways in which the iPad's dominance could be growing, that would not negate the 94%-74% statistic. For example.. as more manufacturers enter the fray, Apple will obviously take a hit on a % stat, but sheer volume of sales going up, compared to stagnant sales from competitors would indicate growing dominance. Popular Opinion, as to what device to go with, can be an indicator. Also, and this is just from memory(which could be incorrect, so take it with a grain of salt) but I could have sworn I saw something outlining Apple's iPad at 70%. If that is true, it being at 74% right now, would be a 4% growth. But as I said.. I could be remembering incorrectly, or mixing up two completely difference products. Meh.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
The future of the Tablet is clearly in Apple's hands since no other company has shown any type of innovation in their products. It's also clear where Apple plans to take this market - there is a push to integrate both Tablet & Notebook devices into one sleek device (look at what Apple is doing with OS X Lion). There are all signs of brilliant innovation that cannot be seen elsewhere. If the rest of the world can't see that and react with equally innovating products, then yes Apple will continue to dominate the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.