Tablet Makers Start Bailing On Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Part of the failure is due to the fact that an Apple tablet competitor better be cheaper than Apple!

Some (MOTOROLA!) failed miserably at this in addition to have an unstable product.

As for an iTunes like interface.......DoubleTwist :D

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The reason I haven't bought one yet has been money and the models available. I hadn't seen any models I wanted to buy until the Galaxy 10.1 came out. That one looks sweet, and I really want one, which can't be said of any previous Android tablet. I will be getting one as soon as I get the money together. I just got a promotion and (substantial) raise at work, and I should be able to afford one in a couple months. As the economy improves, opportunities for selling Android tablets should increase substantially. It's just a matter of the President getting out of the way and letting the economy improve.

wfrantz

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I use iOS and Android devices... I just recently purchased the Asus Transformer with 3.1 on it. I love the product. Then again everyone knows Asus makes great stuff :)

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
In fact, without the "central hub" is the advantage of Android.
iTunes, IMO, is the annoying pest that puts regulation on the user. Uploading your own music to iphone is just a pain in the @ss, because you have to deal with the sync. That's inconvenient!

I wonder who wrote this one-sided opinion article?? :p

jnc852

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I dont understand the point of tablets or the people willing to waste $$ on them.... We pretty much all have smartphones and computers now, so i dont understand where a tablet for $600 fits in. there are soooooo many other things i need besides a device that is "the perfect bridge between smartphones and notebooks". I'd even rather take that cash and spend it on a better laptop.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]When W8 tablets hit Android tablets are done.[/citation]
Hi kind of agree, but with reservations.

When Windows start to run on smaller devices like a tablets, I think we'll definitely see a jump in sales of the tablet market. The reason is that a lot of people do not need the computing power of a massive desktop for day to day work. And when you start interfacing monitors, keyboards, and mouse to the tablets, then the desktop sales might take a hit. :)

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jnc852[/nom]I dont understand the point of tablets or the people willing to waste $$ on them.... We pretty much all have smartphones and computers now, so i dont understand where a tablet for $600 fits in. there are soooooo many other things i need besides a device that is "the perfect bridge between smartphones and notebooks". I'd even rather take that cash and spend it on a better laptop.[/citation]

I'll let you in on the thought process:

1. I'd like to read internet news, political and techie, in some way other than on my computer screen, preferably without the keyboard getting in the way. I hate newspapers and magazines because they produce so much trash. My phone's screen is far too small for that. So, this leaves a tablet. Also, it could be presented in a format similar to a magazine where my phone or computer could not.

2. I like the handheld games like Gem Miner and Angry Birds, but my phone screen isn't very good for that. My fingers are just too thick, and I often misclick things. A tablet would be good for this.

3. laptops, while nice for their uses, are too bulky for sitting on the couch and doing things like this. a tablet would be nice for this.

4. I'm hoping future apps for tablets will include things like remote controlling my HTPC so I can adjust volume, rewind, pause, and select things to watch from my tablet, along with tools for troubleshooting and administering PCs and servers (I'm in server support) without having to hook up a monitor and keyboard, and perhaps even hacking tools for resetting a server password. (I frequently have to deal with this on test servers, where a previous tested reset a password and doesn't remember what it was.) I would also like a tablet where I could hook up a USB to serial connector so I could administer FC and network switches and headless servers, but that would be a pretty narrow market. (The app could show the command line interface and have components of macros off to one side to avoid having to type everything out all the time.)

5. It would also be nice to hook up and watch Hulu shows while waiting at a mechanic or government office. Those places get so boring.

I could go on with lower priority uses, but these are my main ones. They really do have some good uses.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
The reason why Apple won is because of its simple to use software. Perhaps when Microsoft start shipping Windows 8 for ARM, maybe they can compete with Apple.

FireBean

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have a Acer Iconia A500 for the Wife and she LOVES it. It is the most feature packed tablet and one of the cheaper ones. Hell, you can even plug in a USB keyboard and it works on the spot! But, I still need my trusty old desktop to get real work done.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
The way I see it is Tablets are unpopular and the only reason people get an Ipad is to use their own invested apps/media/music on a bigger screen. PERIOD. Apple offers the iPad at a cheaper price (other than the fact that Apple bulk buys the same product materials for all their products) because its a gimmick to make sales for more media. Like a gambler loosing all his money and trying to win it back - Apple reels you in and then rips out the hook.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
"people" always complain there's no competition, yet when there is, they complain there's no "central hub" -single-vendor-like place to go to? dooh!

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Uhh...RIM isn't in the Android tablet sector....

Agree that Motorola screwed up hugely...it was buggy as hell, felt chunky instead of sleek, and had nearly zero apps support because they didn't seed developers w/ tablets to help them get apps onto them (their virtual emulator sucks)-:

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
The way I see it a getting a tablet is the same as getting a big screen TV.
Do you need a Big Screen TV? No.
What do you use a TV for? To entertain you.

You don't get a TV to do work on, because it's not made for that. The same is true for a tablet. Just because you can hook a computer up to a TV, doesn't mean it'll replace the Desktop for everything. Watching movies, playing games sure. Writing a Essay? Good luck with that.

All the above holds true with tablets also. The facts are that not everyone uses computers to work. Would you rather be stuck behind a desktop screen watching a movie, or sitting on your couch?

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Why don't Google just provide a FREE central point
where everyone can find those unrestricted Android stores?
Maybe some of them could be "Apple-like"

epyx

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I don't believe this article...without sources this article doesn't ring accurate. Acer Iconia tablet sales are very strong and I don't believe manufacturers are going to leave the market to Apple and RIM uncontested.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The biggest reason Android Tablet sales are weak, is the price. If these companies really wanted tablets to boom they need to be priced to eat the netbook market, but instead they tried to price their products similar to the iPad. Why would anyone spend $500+ on a 10" or smaller tablet, when they could spend $500 on a 15" laptop with much more power, capacity, and compatibility?

G

I bought the Nook. GREAT no-frills tablet. Let's me surf the web with Flash, check email and read books. Doesn't cost $500+ with a monthly 3G plan. Just a simple tablet for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.