Tablet PC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hey guys, right now I"m using a Toshiba Portage M700 Tablet PC. I really love it for school. It's the best thing to be able to flip it and write hand notes directly onto power point slides in Onenote. It's also nice before I'm study Electrical Engineering so can program on it as well. However, it is slowly dying on me. It freezes up pretty often when there are a couple things running and the battery life now is under 2 hours is problematic for 2 - 3 hour lectures. I was thinking of buying a new tablet pc. Would you guys have any suggestions on some of the best deals for the money. Don't need anything amazing.

Thanks,
Alex

Solution

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
1. What is your budget? under $1500, but hopefully won't spend that much

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 12''-13''

3. What screen resolution do you want? doesn't matter much

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? replacement laptop

5. How much battery life do you need? the longer the battery the better at least 6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) programming/note taking

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? not much 250Gb?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. whatever is cheapest

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? want it to last be at least 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? just normal CD or none at all.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. have heard Lenovo have good tablets, but not really sure

13. What country do you live in? USA

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for those suggestions guys, I"ll look more into them. One of the biggest worries is the battery life, didn't see how long the lenova had.

Most have a SSD option these days. And they use a bit less power as well.

You should compare the cost of doing an SSD upgrade yourself vs using Lenovo list prices. The differences can be pretty interesting.

X220 with the middle battery option (63Whr) = tested 491 minutes in BatteryEater Reader's test (maximum battery life, all wireless off, minimum display brightness).
410 min for WLAN surfing and 342 min during DVD movie run.

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Would it be difficult to put in my own SSD? Have a decent knowledge about how to do it with a desktop. But wouldn't have any idea with a laptop or tablet.

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Some of them say 'slightly used for 4 months' or 3 months, ect. But say they are in good condition with no screen scratches. Not sure how highly advised it is to buy a used computer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.