Taiwanese Man Dies After 40-hour Diablo III Marathon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Japanese salaryman that died from overwork is not as rare as it should be. I believe many would consider the work we do to be meaningless, so dying from diablo 3 might not be that much worse.

xbatusayx

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
All Chinese and blood related should be like this after destroying everything.. they already destroyed enough business from fake products/duplicating services/strategies and selling it for lower price.. now their eyes have set to blizzard $_$ and they even own the world based on historic maps their ancestors (who lived in the time of pangea) have created.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]WTF? 40 hours of gaming can't kill a guy.If it did, my roommate who drank a case of Monster and stayed up for 3 days to be the first guy on his server to hit level 70 on WOW when their first expansion came out would've died years ago.Seriously, a man can go 40 hours without water--so how can gaming without food be the culprit? No, this guy had a heart attack or was already dying of malnutrition or something.[/citation]

He's sitting in one position in a crappy little chair the entire time. This can cause a blood clot in your legs that then travels to your brain and then causes a hemorrhage.

lokii_0

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
How is this even possible? There aren't even 40 hours' worth of content in the crapass suckfest which is Diablo III.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]Yup, boring game, meaningless death.[/citation]
The case is solved. He died of boredom, while trying to "play" that crap.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
really...how stupid can someone be?...maybe he took to many drugs to make him stay alert....could be caffeine overdose or something else...the most i've played a game was about two days....still i pause to pee and eat, lol

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]He's sitting in one position in a crappy little chair the entire time. This can cause a blood clot in your legs that then travels to your brain and then causes a hemorrhage.[/citation]

Pretty much what I was going to write, wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the official prognosis. Get up and move once in a while, my god, I couldn't imagine sitting in the same chair for 40 hours straight and not getting up at least once to move around.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I don't understand how these guys can marathon game like that. After a couple hours I gotta do something else no matter the game. I probably hit 5 hours a couple times on Skyrim this winter when I grade 3 sprained both sides of my ankle and my foot (so I couldn't walk for 2 months) and my eyes would burn on top of the headache...[/citation]

dude i belive you need a better screen if your eyes burn for only 5 hours of gaming. got the same problem with my crappy work screen. but at home i can game for 10 hours no problem.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]How could you succumb to this Asian?You played for 40hrs? I guess the WILL of the TEMPLAR is STRONGER!!![/citation]

thumbs up for that. Kormac FTW! he is one cheesy templar.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
a friend of mine went 4 days without sleep (being in the army and in Iraq will do that to you)

that person most likely had some other condition that was made worst by trying to play a boring game for 40 hours

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
In a way, I envy this guy: If I gamed for over 3 hours straight, I'd get a migrane headache so strong that I would quite literally vomit my guts out... Even with an analgesic...

I guess it is my body's evolutionary mechanism to not sit on my ass for 3+ hours staring at a glowy thingy...

So I bought a FitDesk to compensate... Now I can at least work out and game at the same time...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I don't understand how these guys can marathon game like that. After a couple hours I gotta do something else no matter the game. I probably hit 5 hours a couple times on Skyrim this winter when I grade 3 sprained both sides of my ankle and my foot (so I couldn't walk for 2 months) and my eyes would burn on top of the headache...[/citation]

72 hours of continuous play with everquest... passed out at the keyboard somewhere between hour 73 and 77 though.

i want to say i wasn't a complete moron, drank water, and ate good food while i was marathoning the game.

now though... i usualy sit at the computer for 12 hour period of time, but never a good 24 hours... most of the time though i need to move so maybe a 5 hour straight session and 15-30 minutes of walking and back to it.

but i had no friends when i did the 72 hour thing, and i have no life so i can be at the computer 24/7

[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Why is always some Asian guy that dies from playing a computer game?[/citation]

depends on the country... but generally, its not that one marathon that kills them, its the running on energy drink alone that does, and the fact that this marathon probably came after a prior marathon and that after another one. this was the session that did him in...

you also have to imagine that some of those countries are hellish to live in, so any form of an escape is great. korean gamers have the possibility of celeberty status and the equilivant of a million $ career if they get great at starcraft, so alot play till they die trying to get that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.