Taiwanese Man Dies After 40-hour Diablo III Marathon

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]He's sitting in one position in a crappy little chair the entire time. This can cause a blood clot in your legs that then travels to your brain and then causes a hemorrhage.[/citation]

I believe a blood clot is called an infarction, but I get your point. He may have dropped dead from a myocardial or cerebral infarction. (heart attack or stroke). Unless when he fell from exhaustion, and hit his head hard enough to cause hemorrhaging in his brain. It's a shame people still haven't learned from others who have already died from doing the same stupid thing, and after far less than 40 hrs. I would hate to think if my last 40 hrs on Earth were spent playing a game.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]what's worse? dying at 18 by some clot or assholes making jokes about a dead person?[/citation]
Dying at 18 by a completely avoidable clot cause you were a moron is worse, jokes about them are completely acceptable :p

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]I believe a blood clot is called an infarction, but I get your point. He may have dropped dead from a myocardial or cerebral infarction. (heart attack or stroke).[/citation]
Infarction is tissue death caused by lack of blood flow so a clot could lead to an infarction but it is not in itself an infarction. If it was a clot it was most likely a Deep Vein Thrombosis which can cause a clot that can break off and do bad things to you. BTW I love House seems I learned some things from that show :)

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Blood clots in your legs. It's more common then you would think, happens in the USA a lot in the IT industry. Hence why they sell $400 ergonomic chairs, ergonomic keyboards, etc. They help to keep you from putting pressure on one single point on your body which would cause a blood clot after several hours.[/citation]

That's just crazy. I work in IT.. but I survive because I live a healthy outdoors live.

Do they not do that in the US?

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
When you stand in the same position without moving your body parts for more than 6 hours, it can create a blood clot and leads to cardiac arrest.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
"Chuang had checked himself into a private room in the café on the 13."
He should never have done that in the first place. Being alone for that long without food/drink or other people's attention is dangerous. Those internet cafes should enforce some strict policy to prevent such tragedies from happening again.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]oj88[/nom]"Chuang had checked himself into a private room in the café on the 13."He should never have done that in the first place. Being alone for that long without food/drink or other people's attention is dangerous. Those internet cafes should enforce some strict policy to prevent such tragedies from happening again.[/citation]

what tragedy ? an idiot who can't seem to understand that not moving at all in 40h or not eating / drinking anything can be a problem? Lets face it its his fault and his fault alone, next people will say : well don't put screws on the microwave cause people will dismantle them while they are in use and kill them self's ... They should just remove all the warning labels from stuff, there'd be lot less idiots in this world to contend with, maybe even solve some of the overpopulation :p

contrasia

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]I don't think there is ANYTHING on earth I want to do for 40h straight.Yeah, I know what you are thinking... and that is included :)[/citation]

I always thought breathing would be a good thing to keep doing for 40hrs straight and beyond. But if it's not your cup of tea....

He probably ate fine, wc'd every so often (though it's possible he brought drybags to pish into), so I'd think it'd be closer to their final determination as to the cause of death. Staying in a sitting position increases the possibility of DVT (Deep-vein Thrombosis). Chances are if he was seated for such a prolonged period of time, and then got up really suddenly, it'd cause either a cardiovascular issue of instant death from DVT. In fact it's possible that by a certain point staying seated might of been the only thing that kept him alive as long as he did.

That's why you get flight socks for long flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS