Solved! Tapper not showing up now Win 7

Aug 21, 2018
Need help/advice on re installing the driver for my Itronix GoBook VR-1 8.1.5.0 driver. My computer did at one time come with Vista and this driver works with it and XP and 2000 if not mistaken. When I bought it reconditioned it had Windows 7 and is what I wanted. The driver on an XP laptop says its a 7.12.7.0 but the one I installed on here to the best of my knowledge is the Synaptics 8.1.5.0 installed it on this one and has worked great for over 4 years and I was able to disable the tapping on the touchpad.

I had been stupid and l paid Avast do a cleanup and then it does not show the tapping now. Avast did put every back to normal but it didn't fix my touchpad issue. I have reinstalled the same driver as it had before and is the only one that I found in my saved doc's.

Can you help me at all or am I on my own again? The tapping is really screwing me up for sure.

Solution
I'll suggest going into device manager and updating the touchpad driver (in the right-click menu) to the latest WHQL driver on WindowsUpdate/Windows Catalog.

Barring that, Synaptics no longer have touchpad drivers for download on their website (they used to have a non-WHQL v17 there) so you'd have to peruse the support files for other, more recently supported laptops to find a later driver than is listed for yours. v8 is extremely old (circa 2005) and only has the most rudimentary scroll functionality. I prefer to use the v12.2.8.0 XP driver even in 32-bit Win 7 because I don't need the gesture support in the later drivers, but of course the later ones officially support Windows 7.

Of course, none of this will work if your touchpad...
To enable (or disable) the "Tap to Click" on your touchpad, try the following...

1. First go to "Start" and then "Control Panel"
2. Locate and click to open the "Mouse" icon (or word "Mouse").
3. Next go to the "Device Settings" tab.
4. Here you want to click the "Settings" button and then click "Tapping".
5. To turn it on, make sure the box is checked. To turn it off, uncheck the box.

Aug 21, 2018

It was there at one time after I installed the driver but it is not there now and it happened before but that was like 5 years ago but somehow I was able to get it back and now due to Avast and trying to clean up my computer with their program it is gone again????

Yeah, a lot of those 'cleaning' options programs give you for cleaning up a computer are not usually wise. I have seen way to many problems from them.

I can't think of any other settings in there. Have you tried using "System Restore" to restore to a point prior to the changes Avast made? I know you said you had it undo its changes, but that doesn't mean it actually undid everything.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
I'll suggest going into device manager and updating the touchpad driver (in the right-click menu) to the latest WHQL driver on WindowsUpdate/Windows Catalog.

Barring that, Synaptics no longer have touchpad drivers for download on their website (they used to have a non-WHQL v17 there) so you'd have to peruse the support files for other, more recently supported laptops to find a later driver than is listed for yours. v8 is extremely old (circa 2005) and only has the most rudimentary scroll functionality. I prefer to use the v12.2.8.0 XP driver even in 32-bit Win 7 because I don't need the gesture support in the later drivers, but of course the later ones officially support Windows 7.

Of course, none of this will work if your touchpad is actually made by Alps or ELAN microelectronics. In fact "8.1.5.0" sounds more like an ELANtech driver version than a Synaptics one.

Solution
Aug 21, 2018

Well I did try the system restore and that didn't help but was worth a try I guess? Thinking back to the last time this happened was because of a MS update years ago. It took me a while then to get it back to where it showed the tapper.

Aug 21, 2018
Well guys after doing the system restore and got every thing on my desk top back where it was before I decided to do the driver again and this time I did what I should have done the first time and that was to uninstall the driver and then rebooted my computer. After that just the normal looking mouse was there. Then I used the driver file I had used and installed it. Then the touchpad showed but the tapper didn't? I could still tap but because I was removing and cleaning up some crap left from Avast and having to remove a program that got put back after I did the restore and I think I had restarted my computer at least 4 to 5 times then I noticed it was not tapping any longer so I m now very happy old man A+A+A+ I just checked again and the tapping is still not showing like you would think it should? Thanks guys for your advice and trying to help me out and I sure do hope this never happens again.