TCL P605 (local dimming) v. Vizio M55-E0 (processing power)

metasound

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
I'm on the fence between purchasing the TCL P605 and the Vizio M55-E0. The TCL had better local dimming, but the Vizio has octo-core processing power where the TCL has 2. When I view them at box stores, the TCL gets very pixelated; the tv screen seems to be catching up to the fast moving, detailed images on screen, whereas this appears to be much less so on Vizio.

Alternatively, I have watched a movie on the Vizio M65 and the blacks were lack luster. Much of the detail of lost in the animated characters hair for instance.

Am I off the mark? I would really appreciate anyone's input on this.

Thank you all in advance.

Solution
You are probably not off the mark but there are some things to remember.
Low end TVs have make compromises. A 4k TV is still being used with lower resolution sources most of the time so the processing power is important. Local dimming makes for better black levels but adds halos to bright objects on a dark background.
2. Check online for calibration settings for both TVs. Out of the box neither will be set for the most accurate picture so maybe the blacks in the Vizio will be better after calibration.
3. Neither set is going to come with stellar factory support especially after warranty. Build quality suffers to lower cost of manufacture.
You are probably not off the mark but there are some things to remember.
Low end TVs have make compromises. A 4k TV is still being used with lower resolution sources most of the time so the processing power is important. Local dimming makes for better black levels but adds halos to bright objects on a dark background.
2. Check online for calibration settings for both TVs. Out of the box neither will be set for the most accurate picture so maybe the blacks in the Vizio will be better after calibration.
3. Neither set is going to come with stellar factory support especially after warranty. Build quality suffers to lower cost of manufacture.

Solution