Tech Behind Xbox 360's Project Natal Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
No buttons, (judging from demos) much slower and much less accurate than what Sony does (which is no wonder, considering Microsoft has to solve much more difficult problem of identifying human hand/body position, unlike Sony, that is simply finding out where is the stick)

I suspect Microsoft wanted to integrate something like this into Windows at some point, that's why they went this weird route.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Unless they can reduce the 0.12 sec lag then its use will be limited to only certain games, rts games could be fun with a combo of voice and gesture control, I would also think it great for a game like fight night...but lag would kill that.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]I hope that PC version will be available. May be even it will work with two webcams.[/citation]

Im not sure if it was Gates himself that was asked ( i know for sure someone from the big "heads" of MS said it though ) but said that Natal will be available also for PCs not just for gaming but also for conferences etc through it. Which is all good news. There are a few reasons to believe there is future for "Natal" even if not the first version but by the time of it's revision or second Natal based peripheral from MS it will be quite big enough installbase and interest around it and it's capabilities.

[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Unless they can reduce the 0.12 sec lag then its use will be limited to only certain games, rts games could be fun with a combo of voice and gesture control, I would also think it great for a game like fight night...but lag would kill that.[/citation]

The wierdo, Mulineux said that with all the revisions etc by now the lag has gone and Natal responses have nothing to do with what we last saw. Lets hope its valid. If so I'll be more than willing to go buy that lil miracle called Natal cause with non painful lag it will be sweet to experiment with it.[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]No buttons, (judging from demos) much slower and much less accurate than what Sony does [/citation]

You have to stop comparing this with Move from Sony. Move is targeting to simply take the audience from Nintendo's wii and thats exactly why its the same thing, just more accurate ofc according to the demos. Natal's capabilities go beyond that. Stop thinking just gamewise. As about accuracy lets see if true about the revised lagless kits.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
motion detection is still offloaded to the cpu. sophisticated motion detection requires alot of processing. expect only very simplistic and deliberate motions to be detected.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]manos[/nom]You have to stop comparing this with Move from Sony. Move is targeting to simply take the audience from Nintendo's wii and thats exactly why its the same thing, just more accurate ofc according to the demos. Natal's capabilities go beyond that. Stop thinking just gamewise. As about accuracy lets see if true about the revised lagless kits.[/citation]
Demos that I've seen (and those were official Microsoft demos mind you) looked ridiculous. Driving a car by holding my hands in the air? Oh that's... cool...

What are those "capabilities" that "go beyond that" good for, may I ask? I am pretty glad with my mouse and keyboard and see no reason to do weird hand waving in front of my PC, thank you very much.

Sony has created a GAME controller... A game controller for a game console, what's wrong with that?

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]motion detection is still offloaded to the cpu. sophisticated motion detection requires alot of processing. expect only very simplistic and deliberate motions to be detected.[/citation]

I can picture that happening, though also I can see them creating a second version. One that would be able to process most movements and such but obviously you'd have to have a high-end CPU. When you consider the fact that by the time NATAL comes out for the PC, computers will be able to handle 6 (physical) core processors, it leaves a lot to the imagination as to how far they would go.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Unless they can reduce the 0.12 sec lag then its use will be limited to only certain games, rts games could be fun with a combo of voice and gesture control, I would also think it great for a game like fight night...but lag would kill that.[/citation]

if the lag you are talking about is because of the remote of other consoles... it 'should' be less lag because you are NOT receiving signal from a device that is not connected, rather you are receiving signal from a video receiver that is connected directly to the console... though i don't know a lot about this subject so i could be wrong...

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]What are those "capabilities" that "go beyond that" good for, may I ask? I am pretty glad with my mouse and keyboard and see no reason to do weird hand waving in front of my PC, thank you very much.[/citation]

Did you really tried to understand what Manos said?

Just for an example, think about head tracking.
Head tracking can (already) work with a normal web-cam but would be far better with something like Natal.
It can be used in games to adjust how you view a scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BduSDvUU6MY or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkpdtFZoBE at 1:00 minute)
and could be used while doing work on your PC to allow you to see behind a window or other things ... and you can still use your beloved mouse and keyboard at the same time.

And that is just an example of the "go beyond that" thing.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]djab[/nom]Did you really tried to understand what Manos said?Just for an example, think about head tracking.Head tracking can (already) work with a normal web-cam but would be far better with something like Natal.It can be used in games to adjust how you view a scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BduSDvUU6MY or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkpdtFZoBE at 1:00 minute)and could be used while doing work on your PC to allow you to see behind a window or other things ... and you can still use your beloved mouse and keyboard at the same time.And that is just an example of the "go beyond that" thing.[/citation]

Manos stated the following:
1) that Sony was only taking on Wii
2) that it's "the same thing" (as Wii) only more precise

both is BS.
1) It is Microsoft vs Sony, "Nathal" vs "Move", Nintendo is not directly competing with neither.
2) Unlike with "Wii", "Move" exactly detects sticks coordinates and position

Regarding "head tracking", I wouldn't like to wave my head to scroll the screen neither, thank you very much. I could imagine something semi-usefull that tracks human eyes, but it's soo not going to happen in the next 5 years. And then we'll see.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Manos stated the following:1) that Sony was only taking on Wii2) that it's "the same thing" (as Wii) only more preciseboth is BS. 1) It is Microsoft vs Sony, "Nathal" vs "Move", Nintendo is not directly competing with neither.2) Unlike with "Wii", "Move" exactly detects sticks coordinates and position Regarding "head tracking", I wouldn't like to wave my head to scroll the screen neither, thank you very much. I could imagine something semi-usefull that tracks human eyes, but it's soo not going to happen in the next 5 years. And then we'll see.[/citation]

Not only I'll call BS on your opinions but you really dont understand shit from what they are pointing out to you. I really wont bother to explain it any further. Stick with your close minded opinion on the partial bit you seem mostly interested in and be happy with it then. Take the freaking games out of your head and think a bit broader is what they are telling you amongst other things. ffs. Being a fool just cause its the 1st still isnt flattering.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]manos[/nom]Not only...[/citation]

You obviously have no argument to support your own ridiculous claims.

It doesn't surprise me, to be honest, as your first comment wasn't very promising.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]You obviously have no argument to support your own ridiculous claims. It doesn't surprise me, to be honest, as your first comment wasn't very promising.[/citation]

I can't be seriously blamed for the fact you are incapable to read what they are telling you. Let alone fully understand what I mean. When I have a reason to practically argue with you means I have nothing better to do. Like i said. Try to read properly what they are telling you. If you can't understand it's really your own problem. Not mine. FYI I hope you weren't trying to be insulting with your last post cause that was also weak. Have fun dude and grow the fk up a lil instead of react like a fanboy or a cheerleader.

Status
Not open for further replies.