Tech Giants Unite on World IPv6 Day

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
uh oh! Its time for all the tea-baggers in the usa to start buying survivalist supplies and get ready to run for the hills for the next end of the world!

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]uh oh! Its time for all the tea-baggers in the usa to start buying survivalist supplies and get ready to run for the hills for the next end of the world![/citation]

*In my best Dogbert* OUT OUT YOU DEMONS OF STUPIDITY!!!!

Ok, I feel better now. Back to relevant topics.

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]The idea that it contains your MAC address isn't really that bad, that information is already included in regular IPv4 packets. Its also pretty easy to change your MAC address anyways. So for Joe user this isn't really going to make a difference, and for techies we can easy subvert any additional loss of privacy[/citation]

Agreed...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]So, my router and switch will need to be flashed?[/citation]
Unless you have a really old router it most likely already supports IPv6, and even if it doesn't your ISP isn't going to get rid of their IPv4 addresses anytime soon. The last thing ISPs will do is force their customers to change. As I said earlier, this really will apply more to emerging countries such as India and China that have are having rapid growth in internet usage.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]This will take a long ass while. consider how stupid general internet users are, they be like "wth is ipv6? internet is internet, right ? and what is an ip address? info just comes straight to my comp cuz I paid for it?"[/citation]

I remember a couple of years ago people were talking about "Internet 2", which was just IPv6 and nothing more. Like a bad movie sequel, the people who heard this retarded rumor jumped on it and were really excited to see the "Internet 2" and anything new it might offer. I don't really know what they expected above what is already available, but it they soaked it up (and it never came).

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]So, my router and switch will need to be flashed?[/citation]

The router will need a firmware update to support IPv6 if it already doesn't.

The switch shouldn't need anything. It does speak IP, but speaks Ethernet. Ethernet doesn't care about what protocol it transports......

Status
Not open for further replies.