Technical support , AC adapter, motherboard or stupid technician???

chaoscrum

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hi

Recently my Acer 7738g stopped receiving power from the ac adapter.

Its been like 1 month since it started doing some kind of flickerin with the power receiving. Also i was overheating.

SO one day i opened it and i applied the thermal paste on the CPu and GPU which i have done it many times on the same laptop. After applying and closing the laptop, i tried to put hte laptop on power but it didnt respond to the press of the power button, so i opened it, rechecked everything and closed it again , still with the same result.

The Laptop although WORKS FINE with the BATTERY, you can log in into windows etc.

I started thinking that the dc jack is responsible so i ordered a new one. I got it and replaced the old one. It's the dc jack with the cords type. Still no response from my power button. Then i started thinking that it might have been the ac adapter but i took it to a technician and he said it is working.

TO sum up, we have a laptop that works fine with battery but it takes no power from hte ac adapter.

SO i deciced to give my laptop for service( to intentify the cause of this behaviour). The reply i got was that the motherboard was faulty and acer wants 680 EUROS for its repair.

SO i want to ask the experienced users here , if that is Possible. To have a fully working laptop by battery on a faulty motherboard and a faulty Motherboard not being able to receive power ac adapter making the laptop for garbage

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
It is completely possible for a failing motherboard to suffer the exact symptoms you are having to deal with right now. It's happened on many laptops from many brands, nothing but equipment failure... sorry :(

Hi :)

Agreed... in my Laptop repair company we see LOTS of lappies like this...usually AFTER an amateur has been inside it :(

All the best Brett :)

chaoscrum

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Thank for your replies guys :(

Its just after i gave my lap to that company for repair i learned from a friend that one of his friends gave her lap to the same company to see whats wrong and they said that the motherboard was faulty/ burned.
But she gave also the lap to someone else , just a father that likes PCs etc and he fixed it without buying anything