Teen Goes on Axe Rampage After Losing Game

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
And guys, stop talking that the whole story is BS. It's Daily Mail! Is there any sence in discussing the orange press?

G

The point is, the title hooked us in, didn't it? It's about selling ad-space people. I doubt anyone from admin actually bothers reading the replies. So say whatever you want, as long as we are coming back for more, they don't care what we think, they're still making money on the page hits.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]portuguesemafia[/nom]Another game related murder. Where are the kids parents in all of this? Parents fault if you ask me.[/citation]

I hate when people say this. Yes, the parents are partially responsible but can we STOP TAKING THE BLAME FROM THE KIDS. He was 17 for crying out loud, not 9. He IS responsible to.

Don't get me wrong, the parents definitely need to not be letting there kid just sit on the console or whatever for hours a day of his life but I also know plenty of people who did just that and succesfully hadn't axe murdered grandma next door. That's just awful. Make him pay, but not the gaming industry and certainly don't just point the finger at the parents automatically...

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]mitchmeister03[/nom]Really, this is nuts. How is this the games fault. I'll admit I may have had some issues with game rage, but I'll admit I have some anger issues (holes in walls are proof). I would never blame killing someone on a game. The title of the article makes it sound like that's the entire fault, the game. So stupid.[/citation]

The title doesn't say "Teen goes on Axe Rampage because game told him too". For once, this title is really straight forward... The teen went on an Axe Rampage... and it was because he lost against his brother... playing a video game... That's what happened...

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Readers, please don't read when you see the these loaded article titles. The are trolling for a high number of hits. The general consensus from all of tom's readers is that articles spun like this are generally bs. They follow the same formula: "Dad rapes teenage son after playing 15 hours of GTA IV" Then once you actually read the article it vaguely mentions that the was a repeat incestuious pedophile, with a history of alchohol and drug abuse. So from now on, I will encourage others to do as I do, not click on BS articles in hopes that Tom's will have enough sense to stop posting them.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]sylvia648[/nom]I think he was one of those European soccer fans you always see rioting after a game. No, but in all seriousness this is yet again another failure of the American Mental Health System (or the lack there of) and people not being able to get health care be it psychical or mental in this greedy/piss poor country. In my county the mental health system won't take someone without saying they're either suicidal or homicidal. You have to be at the breaking point before anyone will help you in this country (works better that way to fill the jail cells so TWA and MS can use the prison labor for free). It's the same with that guy that shot up that woman's gym and the Virginia Tech shooter. There were signs and people knew about this, but no one cares in this country till something happens. Never proactive, only reactive we are. Blame the parents is a good place to look, but also blame the society at hand.[/citation]

Well said.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]frankzz[/nom]Im sorry to call you out on this marcus, but this is the second fear creating article youve written today. The other example is WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE WILL FAIL some of YOUR COMPUTERS... then at the very end... oh, ya, it only "affect(s) a very small number of users". Some is not equal to very few. This article basically states what everyone else said up above. Fifa isnt violent at all... He lost a game to his brother. Think what would have happened if he lost a highschool football game. I think he would have flipped even more.. maybe a axe and a machette or even an uzi, since apparenty at one point in his life he played GTA.Can you please try to put the more important facts in the first paragraph? The article would get bashed a bit less i think. This kind of writing smells like one of those all day agenda driven news channels.Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to show where the article gets such contempt from the readers[/citation]

That article is because it wasn't OS X, duh. If it was something Apple, you would only hear praise and how Steve Jobs personally sent him a thank you note and an invitation to the cult convention courtesy of Tom's.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]portuguesemafia[/nom]Another game related murder. Where are the kids parents in all of this? Parents fault if you ask me.[/citation]

FIFA is not a game about violence! He might have gone mad if he lost on chess or just any bet or anything. Also they have said it: he is mentally not OK.

A young person I know who looked completely normal. One day just got mad just like that. He threatened his boss, his colleagues... and at the end they took him in the mental hospital nearby (he was a doctor on a shift at that moment). There the psychiatrists discovered that he is a schizophrenic.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Toms is making quite the name for themselves lately.
Ahhh yes i remember the good old days when Ben and Rob who were straight up.Now we get this kind of thing.Total trash reporting.
Just think for a moment.....You would THINK that toms would try to set the record straight.What about the average folk who reads this from a pc site,what must they think if the people who promote pc and gaming in general blame the industry they are involved in?
Ever hear of shooting oneself in the foot?I just want to know why you guys do this kind of thing?

rjranay

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This is such an ignorant and blatantly misleading news title!

... Callaghan later consumed a bottle of vodka and stormed out of his home with a knife and axe.

let's follow the steps:
1. fellow losses game
2. consumed liquor
3. stormed out of his home with knife and axe
4. went on the rampage

now if we re-write the whole story to follow really what's on the title, then logically this should be the steps:
1. fellow losses game
2. went on the rampage with knife, axe and what not...

gets?!

lordcrazex

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Would the same tragic incident happen if the kid were to lose an actual football game played on a field instead of a computer game?

Since the obvious reason for his temperament was due to a history of violence when subjected to drinking alcohol, i guess he would still be committing the same crime after losing while playing tag or failed to bake cookies during cooking class...yet, the title blames games for allegedly 'ruining' a kid's life...

such a misleading argument to me...sigh~~~~ (-_-)

sslazio77

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
#1 - I would rage too just for the fact that I was playing Fifa and not PES.

#2 - I would rage even more for playing a 2008 game in almost 2010.

#3 - I wouldn't have lost.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Disgusting, yet like the other incident involving the father shooting his son, this seems more fueled by alcohol then the video game that inspired drinking in the youth.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I don't see who this is videogame-related. Ok, so he played and lost 3 FIFA games in the same day. I'm pretty sure he also watched the game that day. News-related manslaughter? He probably drank some coffee too. Maybe the coffee was cold. Coffee-related murder?

Let's face it, videogames are part of daily life for most of us now. We can't make associations with reprehensible events that easily.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Parents now adays cannot raise their own children so they blame what their children do. How did he get the alcohol? They can't pin this on the game but as i've said before some kids shouldn't play games.

G

TH comments are so whiney. You guys are a bunch of babies. Boo Hoo! I miss video games. I miss my mom.

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
[citation][nom]sylvia648[/nom]I think he was one of those European soccer fans you always see rioting after a game. No, but in all seriousness this is yet again another failure of the American Mental Health System (or the lack there of) and people not being able to get health care be it psychical or mental in this greedy/piss poor country. In my county the mental health system won't take someone without saying they're either suicidal or homicidal. You have to be at the breaking point before anyone will help you in this country (works better that way to fill the jail cells so TWA and MS can use the prison labor for free). It's the same with that guy that shot up that woman's gym and the Virginia Tech shooter. There were signs and people knew about this, but no one cares in this country till something happens. Never proactive, only reactive we are. Blame the parents is a good place to look, but also blame the society at hand.[/citation]
How is this a failure of the US Mental Health System? The guy is in the UK, moron. Your comment is another example of fail on the internets.

Status
Not open for further replies.