Teen Jailed for DDoS Church of Scientology

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]all in all, the site deserved it[/citation]
Yea I agree..Prison time is a waist of tax payers money...That 30 grand fine would be good enough because in this day and age 30k would hurt a lot of people.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Scientology is not a church, it is a cult and that cult can go fuck itself. I hope some of those cult members read this site. Tom Cruise, David Miscavige, and the rest of those wackos can suck my dick.[/citation]

At one point every religion/church was a cult until it became widely accepted and adopted by the masses. A religion can't start out with millions of members. However, I STRONGLY believe the "Church" of Scientology is REALLY messed up. The South Park episode did a great job!

G

The Scientologists are going to be briefed about this "huge win" - they put a teenager behind bars for their "terrorist act" of messing with their website. They'll be cheering in the halls after hearing of this accomplishment! I wonder how much they'll cheer when they find out for themselves about the violent abuse of staff members, forced abortions, forced family separation, about staff being held against their will and other such GROSS VIOLATIONS OF CIVIL AND HUMAN RIGHTS that are part of Scientology's daily activities, particularly at the highest levels. See THE TRUTH RUNDOWN series at tampabay.com/scientology - the St Petersburg Times has been working on exposing the truth about Scientology, which I consider a dangerous cult.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
this is rediculous. The year and a day plea deal is no deal for him. should have at least kept it under a year and sent him to county. Plus it is rediculously easy to pull off a DDoS attack. The judge doesn't seem to understand what he ruled on.

lawsudz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
[citation][nom]505090[/nom]year and a day is a standard sentance, under a year is county jail and over a year is prison. So they ether give 364 days or a year and a day.[/citation]

You're wrong (well sort of). This is a federal crime. For most felonies (as opposed to misdemeanors) the minimum sentence is "over one year". Hence one year, one day.

For everyone complaining out there, so long as he is found guilty, which given computer evidence is usually a sure thing, he couldn't have received a lesser sentence for the crime.

505090 - you're right in that you will never go to county jail for more than a year. but that is because of other factors not relevant here.

G

This judge should be held accountable for his actions. Idiot judges who have no concept of reality or no true idea of justice should be removed from office. The fact that our legal process moves so slowly only allows these idiots to do terrible amounts of damage to us and OUR system. That sentence was not justice.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
That judge is an incompetent idiot. How can you justify a year in prison for that. Hes probably 65 and never touched a computer.

G

The term "protected computer" was used to jack up the seriousness of the charge.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 1030 : US Code - Section 1030 (2) Protected computer means a computer (B) which is used in interstate or foreign commerce or communication, including a computer located outside the United States that is used in a manner that affects interstate or foreign commerce or communication of the United States;

I can't think of any computer connected to the Internet that doesn't engage in interstate or foreign communication. (You're doing it now!)

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I bet all he did was download LoIC and run it to take part in the whole anti scientology thing, the punishment is WAY overblown.

“I don’t believe this is something that just came upon Mr. Guzner... I don’t believe a young person gets involved in this act on a lark just because he’s surfing the Internet.”

Ignorance is a blissful thing.

G

LOL@the people calling Scientology a "cult". Guess what? All of the "major" religions were cults, then once they had enough followers and political pull, they became religions. They're all a crock of shit anyways, and scientology is no more greedy than the others(tithing ones income, anybody?), nor are their beliefs any more crazy than:

"Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree..."

Status
Not open for further replies.