Teenage Killer Caught Through Xbox 360 Game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sn0w

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Maybe GH was used to actually record the conversation? Not sure if thats even available in GH but only thing I could think of... regardless of whatever the means. I'm getting tired of TG news on TH. Please do more reviews of hardware and get back to what you guys do best.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]So the nearest object to the mic determines the the title? So if the mic was near a toilet the tittle would read "Teenage Killer Caught Through Toilet"? Just odd.[/citation]
LOL

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]In order for something as trivial and meaningless (in terms of relation to computers and games) to get in toms news, you know there must have been pressure from toms execs to get x number of stories in every day. I can see the big boss now speaking to the writers..... "I don't care how irrelevent the story is, I want 5 headlines a day from each and every one of you".There truly is no other reason why this has occured.[/citation]
Or they knew they'd get more hit counts by having all of us bitch and complain about a grossly incorrectly titled article. Maybe?

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
More likely they hid the mic inside the guitar hero mic. From the source story it look like the confession was taken during an all night jam session of the game.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Selling him out isn't the word. He cooperated with authorities to put a killer in jail and was awarded for his efforts.[/citation]

Awarded isn't the word. He hung one criminal(nephew) out to dry, so that another could go free(himself).

Self-Interest removes all noble intent. He is scum. Both are.

[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]And it is punctuated with some great grammar: "Police then were able to arrest and charge the youth with second-degree murder."[/citation]

Fix'd :)

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]gsxr1181[/nom]Wow, what a way to spin a story!Is this Toms or Fox News?[/citation]

So I had a comment already written and the POS website, wiped the comment when I logged in. I m really not sure what this article is doing here, or if I ll come back after it. Its almost as bad as gamepolitics.com that has nothing to with gaming, and everything to do with the last time someone was killed while playing COD. Weak, very weak.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This really is abit like reporting how the wire the narc was wearing was under a polo shirt and calling that fashion news.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Selling him out isn't the word. He cooperated with authorities to put a killer in jail and was awarded for his efforts.[/citation]
In other words, he sold him out :p

mofogo

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Or they knew they'd get more hit counts by having all of us bitch and complain about a grossly incorrectly titled article. Maybe?[/citation]

Yeah we got trolled...

G

[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]Awarded isn't the word. He hung one criminal(nephew) out to dry, so that another could go free(himself).Self-Interest removes all noble intent. He is scum. Both are.Fix'd[/citation]

Lol, how can you compare a DUI to a murder? Average people get DUI's all the time, it doesn't make them scum. By your logic, everyone who watches out for their own back is scum. Welcome to the real world, son. I stand by my previous (and correct) statement.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]mofogo[/nom]What the article fails to mention is that his uncle had offered to sing along to "Don't Stop Believing" and when he was failing b/c he is was liquored up the teen yelled, "You better not fail or I'll take you out like I did that girl" at which point the uncle showed him that the mic was not plugged into the game, but into a recording device. *sunglasses* YYEEAAHHHH![/citation]

Reading this totally made the crap article worth it.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
This article is nothing short of embarassing, and certainly not what I've come to expect from toms since becoming an avid TomsHardware reader many years ago.

I'm not sure who I blame more; the writer who wrote something so ridiculous or the editor that let this one slip.

"Caught through Xbox 360 game"

1) He was 'caught' by the hidden microphone, not Guitar Hero.
2) The word 'caught' implies he was attempting to flee somehow. Surely he was incriminated by the microphone?

The fact that the guitar hero game happened to be sitting redundant near the hidden microphone doesn't meant that it was involved in the process at all. You could just as easily attribute the success of this to the furniture in the room. "Teenage killer caught by his sofa"... etc.

I'm hoping that an editor actually reads these comments, realises what a ridiculous story this is, and pulls it. Then has stern words with the writer, before having stern words with themselves in the mirror for a complete lack of editorial competency.

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
WTG tom... thanks for wasteing my time... now if it'd been a mac that was used to video tape the conversation that'd be acceptible, but puting a mic next to a game doese not qualify as news...

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
the law should be equal or worse, imo for killing someone u should be hanged. actually hanging doesnt hurt so how about so other form of killing for punishment.

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I wondered why in Tom's typical fashion why I hadn't read this on 3 other sites a week or two prior to them posting, but then I read the article and realized no one else would publish this crap with this title.

Status
Not open for further replies.