Test: Are Mobile Ads Killing Your Smartphone Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Power usage over time is interesting but not necessarily accurate. Power usage on most phones drops more rapidly the first 20% than the next 20% and so on (measuring SOC would be more accurate but harder to do).

I would also be curious the effects of the reviewer make a difference (given that you can't run the exact same set of steps from one test to the next).

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if anyone is worried about battery life then he or she should get and extended battery....they are worth the price....sure it will make the phone thick and heavy but who care

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Power usage over time is interesting but not necessarily accurate. Power usage on most phones drops more rapidly the first 20% than the next 20% and so on (measuring SOC would be more accurate but harder to do). I would also be curious the effects of the reviewer make a difference (given that you can't run the exact same set of steps from one test to the next).[/citation]
What do you mean by "the effects of the reviewer?"

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Though, I turn on the connection only when I need to browse. I don't need to be online and on messenger sorts of apps, especially if I don't intend to really type replies on the tiny screen. Without internet, the add supported apps behave as add-free.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]luissantos[/nom]"Ad-Free" and "Without Ads" mean the same thing.But just for the sake of it, can you please elaborate on what you meant?[/citation]
It means we advise you to "Pay for the version of your particular favorite app that doesn't have ads."

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"The only other thing of note with this phone is the graphic quality was much poorer than the iPhone, with its Retina Display, and the Lumia, with its AMOLED screen. The games just didn't look anywhere near as good."

Moto is well known for skimping on their screens lately, and this particular phone is no different. To compare this with the latest iterations of iphone and lumia is like comparing ___________ (fill in blanks about non-comparable entities).
You want it to look good? Get some of the latest Samsung, HTC or even LG models on board.

luissantos

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]It means we advise you to "Pay for the version of your particular favorite app that doesn't have ads."[/citation]

No, I mean, on your tables you have a column for "Ad-Free" and another for "Without Ads". In the English language both terms have the same meaning, so I'd like to know what is the difference you meant to express.

(And just in case you're wondering, I wasn't the one who voted down your answer)

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]luissantos[/nom]No, I mean, on your tables you have a column for "Ad-Free" and another for "Without Ads". In the English language both terms have the same meaning, so I'd like to know what is the difference you meant to express.(And just in case you're wondering, I wasn't the one who voted down your answer)[/citation]

Looks like it is just labelled incorrectly. The without ads column should say something like 'the effect ad-free has on battery life as a percentage'.

G

Pay for apps made by developers who have no clue how to optimize their software and require all sorts of permissions they have absolutely no reason to use?

No thanks, I'll root and install AdFree instead. App devs pretty much include ads to FORCE you to pay because they are so annoying and persistent. This is not the way to sell a product and I absolutely refuse to support such behavior.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]tlm man[/nom]No thanks, I'll root and install AdFree instead. App devs pretty much include ads to FORCE you to pay because they are so annoying and persistent. This is not the way to sell a product and I absolutely refuse to support such behavior.[/citation]
No dude, we include ads to get paid when people are too cheap to buy something for 99¢ (out of which we actually get 60-80¢). I don't get how you're perfectly willing to pay 100$+ for the hardware (that does not do ANYTHING by itself), but you can't pay 99¢ for the actual game that you really like? And to top it all, you just have to block the ads... we're not all millionaires, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.