Texting Teenager Walks Into Open Manhole

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbigfoot

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
umm lest see here Girl is texting in NYC i thought it was illeagle to use ur phone on nyc streets. i know its a ticketable offence for using ipods while walking in nyc so she should get 3 tickets 1 Usingphone while walking, 2 wreckless endangerment wha if the guy was in the manhole he could have been injured, and 3 littering she losyt her shoe. thats 3 strikes so she would need to spend some time in Juve as well. Dumb people.

G

Alexa's mother should sue her daughter's brain for being so stupid!!!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
In the grocery store, a customer drops a grape on the ground. An old man trying to pick out oranges slips on it, and breaks his hip. Should that person have a right to sue the store? Or, say, in the same store a worker is clearly mopping, but forgot to setup cones... any idiot could have seen that the worker was mopping, but a customer fell, and sued.

Its a matter of trying to draw a line on where liability starts... and its sticky business. Like, going to the GYM today, say the equipment randomly breaks, and I get hurt? Do I have a right to sue the GYM (it was entirely NOT their fault, since the equipment was in good shape), or just the manufacturer of said faulty equipment? Its my reasonable assessment, that I shouldn't have a right to sue the GYM unless they were negligent, but in our system you could sue them anyway if no releases were signed stating otherwise (and often you sue them anyway).

In this case its pretty irresponsible to leave an open man hole unattended around the idiot general public, even for a moment... and, I even feel a little bad for the girl. The whole situation had to have been painful, dirty, and embarrassing... Especially while on the phone, I can see how someone could neglect to check for holes in the ground where they shouldn't be, and simply glance ahead to make sure he/she wasn't going to walk into something. Not understanding who to sue, is understandable (who was responsible for the workers?), and the for what? Well, what's this sort of neglegence called?

Meh. If it was my teenager I would let it go. Not because there isn't a legit case to sue, but mainly because that since she didn't get hurt (more than some scrapes and bruises perhaps), that there wouldn't be much to sue for, and the resulting court case would totally humiliate my daughter. The girl just made an innocent mistake, its her parents who are the fucking idiots.

What's the price on total nationwide humiliation these days?

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
this is hilarious, she fallls into a manhole while texting and her mom is suing. They probably don't have jobs and this is there only source of income

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Oh my god...she escaped without serious injuries and yet her mother is talking she got injuries on her pride..
bullshit

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]The girl should be sued.. The "American Way of Life" is 'sue everybody for anything'. She was the hazardous part of the equation. Once she isn't paying attention she is the one likely to cause an accident.[/citation]

Send all Jews... I mean Lawyers to Israel and 'sue everybody for anything' - won't be the American way of life any longer! :)

NYCGPS

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
rofl.

wow, it is fuxking assholes(and their families) like that costing us honest & responsible tax payers millions of dollars on just LEGAL fees.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I think I will start blogging about how often the word "sue" in a news story is a cue for word vomit about how "suing is the new American way". You guys have clearly never been on either side of a real litigation, you have simply been spoon fed nonsense statistics like "this one time this guy tripped on the sidewalk and sued for 10 million dollars!!!". If you are so unhappy with the "new American way" then start voting! The lawmakers govern pretty much everything related to the Legal system (not to mention the laws themselves and civil laws like Tort).

Don't bother giving me crap about how "oh in country X we have it so much better" because to date there is no perfect system that balances personal rights with legal liability, and it just so happens that the US system loves to side with the little guy (thanks, mainstream media.)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
In general I’m against suing for almost everything. In this case I think it is grose negligence to leave a manhole cover off. This person could have been killed. Who cares if she was TXTing… What if she was walking and looked up @ a plane? Or saw a lambo and starred for a second? Or saw a cute guy and turned her head? Her actions don’t change the fact that there is no way a man hole cover should EVER be off and unattended, It’s just dangerous.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I think the family should sue, be assessed payment of court costs, and awarded a large "s**t happens" poster or "world's biggest douche rocket" statue.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"the family will be suing"What's wrong with this society? Doing something stupid -whe all have- is one thing. Than trying to make a buck off of it... shame on you :-(You didn't get hurt; be happy!Peter[/citation]

Don't you know, one stupid deed deserves another...

G

Whoever had to resuce this dumb girl should be charging them for the rescue! She is lucky she didn't walk out into traffic and get plowed down by a school bus! I hope the courts do not take on a case like this and waste time. So if she walked into a light pole and got knocked out, her parents would probably still try to sue the city. What a joke. They need to pass a law for cases like this. When you LOOSE the case, you have to pay all COURT COSTS and ALL LAWYERS Costs that the defendant had to shell out to defend himself against cases like this. People will then think twice beofore taking people to court on silly things.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This case will never happen. They just passed a law in VA that says you cannot text while driving, that is a precedent for, "texting distracts you and you put yourself and others at risk."

Seriously, this family is out of whack, first thing I thought of when I saw she fell in a man hole is she is lucky her face didn't fall forward and break her skull/disfigure herself permanently on the other edge - they are relatively sharp.

Sadly though, a lot of taxpayers money and states time will be wasted on this before it gets thrown out.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I couldn't disagree with most of you more! If I'm assuming the time line in the article is correct, the workers opened the manhole and then proceeded to place the safety cones, sorry but that is ass backwards, cones first then open the manhole...DUH! It's like driving down the highway and then putting on your safety belt, or bicycling half a mile before putting on your helmet, or only after take off or landing do you place your safety belt on. Bottom-line the open manhole was left unattended. It shouldn't matter if she was texting, or her attention was disrupted by a passing siren, or someone calling out her name.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]o0RaidR0o[/nom]I couldn't disagree with most of you more! If I'm assuming the time line in the article is correct, the workers opened the manhole and then proceeded to place the safety cones, sorry but that is ass backwards, cones first then open the manhole...DUH! It's like driving down the highway and then putting on your safety belt, or bicycling half a mile before putting on your helmet, or only after take off or landing do you place your safety belt on. Bottom-line the open manhole was left unattended. It shouldn't matter if she was texting, or her attention was disrupted by a passing siren, or someone calling out her name.[/citation]
You are under the assumption that if the cones were already up she would not have fallen in. You must not know many 15 year olds.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Kill the whole damn stupid family. Oh wait, they're not worth the cost of bullets. Torture them to death and sell tickets to make some money off of it.

These idiots don't deserve to live and waste human resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.