Texting Teenager Walks Into Open Manhole

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcheesle

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Seriously, enough with the America bashing. I lived in Europe for several years and saw plenty of sue happy people there as well. My friend was sued by a bicyclist who was texting while riding and veered into the road. Needless to say, the lawsuit went nowhere but more than likely neither will this.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i had a friend, who was valedictorian for a school this past year, text at a party and fall into a fire. He had 3rd degree burns on much of his hands, and had to give his valedictorian speech in front of nearly 2000 people with both of his hands completely bandaged.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Joebob, i spent a week on the jury of a civil case in which our local ambulance chaser was resprenting a person who was suing because the plaintiff and the defendant got into a shouting match over a parking space in front of a building. The defendant nudged the plaintiff with her SUV, causing the guy to fall onto his ass. The plaintiff went first to an ER, was given some basic pain meds and told he was fine (this was after x-rays btw), whom then went to another private practice, and was told the same thing by the doctor of the private practice. Now, all in all, this guy incurred maybe 3 days of lost work and less than $1k in doctors bills, and you know what they were trying to sue for? Over $1.2 million.

After the case was over i talked to the defending attorney, who told me he deals with similarly absurd cases from this guy and a couple others on a monthly basis.

That all being said, please don't tell me that we've been "spoonfed" nonsense statistics, because i've been there, i know for a fact these things happen. Just because it doesn't make the national news doesn't mean its not happening on a regular basis in local courts.

Frivilous litigation is literally one of the top problems in the US, in my opinon. Medical coverage would be stupidly, i mean absurdly, ridiculously, fantastically cheaper than it is now in the US if it weren't for BS malpractice suits against hospitals and doctors. We have the greatest legal system in the world, easily, but that doesn't mean it is perfect.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Well see the reason she is suing is because it really was the manhole's fault. It texted her right before she fell.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
It's people like Alexa's mom that make me hate what my country has become. I will always love the United States because it is my country, but people like this are just unbelievable...

The girl didn't even get hurt and I'd be interested to see if there will be a counter suit from the city.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]Well see the reason she is suing is because it really was the manhole's fault. It texted her right before she fell.[/citation]

That was hilarious

G

Lol I've heard a story from my mom, that some drunk friends on top of a roof got one of the guys to reach down to a window to try to steal cigarettes. His friends couldn't hold him and dropped him on accident. He fell into an open manhole. They ran downstairs scared out of their minds thinking he was dead for sure only to see him running up the stairs MAD that the assholes dropped him. He was completely unhurt except for scrapes and bumps.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Leaving a manhole 'unmanned' (tee-hee couldn't help myself) is still bad. No she (or her parents) probably don't deserve money but still. Imagine if it was an elderly lady who broke her back/hip while falling? What if it was a blind man? Uncovered manholes are taped off for a reason. Stupid people is one of those reasons.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
This brings me back to a bag I found in my store which read: "THIS BAG IS NOT A TOY", god that gave me a good laugh.

They are working towards making everything retard-safe, because of people like this.

Soon our cars will have signs on the front that say, "DO NOT STAND HERE" or "MOVE".

G

Hopefully, either it'll get tossed out and they wasted money filing suit, or they'll get counter-sued for the frivolous lawsuit. I like the commentor above that said the city should sue for littering (lost shoe). Lol! Also, you can't train a 15-yr old not to be an idiot - there's a 90% chance it'll happen regardless of what you do/say/threaten/preach/beg/.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I love it! That's what America so stinkin great. You can almost "break a leg" and then turn around and sue somebody even though it was your own fault!!! I love out stupid jugdes in this pathetically immoral and Godless society. I'm gonna jump in front of a Plane landing and if I live I'm going to sue every person (that lived) on that jet and then the airlines! Haaaa and as pathetic as I sound here if it were real I would probably win!!

G

Brilliant! As if falling down a manhole isn't embarassing enough for the poor girl her parents have to sue and in doing so inform the world of this highly embarassing situation and because they're the ones making a fuss she doesn't even get the lucury of name surpression! I suppose when poor Alexa falls into a deep state of depression and attempts to take her own life they'll again, sue someone for damages.

Advice to parents. Don't embarass your teenage daughters like this. The financial gain isn't worth ruining her life.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"it's the thought that counts" always found that saying funny...
when we try, or are responsible for something ALMOST going very BAD, we are always punished, sometimes to the same extent as if it actually HAD gone BAD.

the same is rarely true when we try or are responsible for ALMOST creating something very GOOD...

Redviffer

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Perhaps the city will adopt a different way of setting up for work on an open man-hole. I can know of certain places where if you have an open cover, you actually set up a barricade around it, not just cones. This would hopefully be able to alert someone of a possible hazard ahead (you also set them up for work on almost any type of work: electrical, mechanical, etc.) Still, I say, no harm, no foul, and no suit.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I think you and I are the only two people who think this way...It just does not matter what she was doing... a manhole was left unattended.WHAT IF it was a 4 yr old riding down street on his bike?What IF it was you driving your car and ran into it? doin 40 your not gunna swerve in time.The point is: this girl is an idiot but it should not have been possible to happen.OHHH here ya go... your TXT'ing walking down the sidewalk when some drunk fool runs you down. It's your fault because you were TXT'ing? get your heads out of your asses.[/citation]

If she was just walking she would have noticed the cover was open and walked around it. but no this darwin award winner was texting while walking without looking where she was going.

FAIL!

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]The girl should be sued.. The "American Way of Life" is 'sue everybody for anything'. She was the hazardous part of the equation. Once she isn't paying attention she is the one likely to cause an accident.[/citation]

Hoenstly I know, I mean think about this....there are some people who text and drive too. So if you can't walk and text HOW THE HELL CAN YOU DRIVE?

Never mind that, I CAN'T believe the parents are actually suing. You are responsible for your surroundings, it's not everyone elses job to keep YOU safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.