That Facebook Settlement Email Supposedly Isn't Fake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You're no spelling expert either, wtf is loosing!? Don't you guys learn how to spell basic words?

You're obviously no English teacher. Before coming off as some condescending prick you might want to actually proof read.

Lawyers win.. Nothing else really needs to be said.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]From my understanding Facebook has very little the real value, most of the value in the company is intangible, kind of like with Apple. 20 million hurts them a lot more than your thinking.[/citation]
I'm no apple fan boy but what are you talking about? Apple's value isn't intangible like facebooks. They make physical products, have real factories and have physical assets. that comparison is completely inaccurate.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ewood[/nom]I'm no apple fan boy but what are you talking about? Apple's value isn't intangible like facebooks. They make physical products, have real factories and have physical assets. that comparison is completely inaccurate.[/citation]
really now... they produce stuff? i thought they contracted damn near everything out to sweatshops and foxcon, and at the very most, had a few places they owned put the stuff together.

sure apple has servers that act as stores, but they make next to no software of their own, final cut being the only one i can think of off the top of my head, and i have no idea how much that is used in a pro setting compared to adobe, avid, vegas, and a few others that im forgetting.

hell i would venture to guess that facebook has more physical value than apple does, if only for the servers they run. where as apples value rides on designers, marketing, and lawyers making damn sure they don't have competition in the phone/tablet/music front.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Im all for FB getting sued and loosing... but whats the point when the most that each user will get is $10? In the meantime if I do something like steal 1 99cent song, I could be sued for hundreds of thousands? I'm no math expert, but something doesn't seem to add up...[/citation]

Yep, what does not add up there is the fact that the ppl with the money always have more Rights. Welcome to the real world. Dont worry, sooner or later ppl will give the death penalty to politicians jsut like they did in france with LUIS XIV (the king).
It is known very well that History has a way of repeating itself.
The problem is that the good politicians will never have a chance, as noone will pay for their campaign unless they get something in return, in wich case, the politician is corrupt by definition.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cats_Paw[/nom]Yep, what does not add up there is the fact that the ppl with the money always have more Rights. Welcome to the real world. Dont worry, sooner or later ppl will give the death penalty to politicians jsut like they did in france with LUIS XIV (the king). It is known very well that History has a way of repeating itself.The problem is that the good politicians will never have a chance, as noone will pay for their campaign unless they get something in return, in wich case, the politician is corrupt by definition.[/citation]

You might be interested in this then, I don't know how big the movement is but there is one try and get money out of politics, they're trying to get it into an amendment. I know one branch that is run by the Young Turks I think, and really this is the only significant way that we can do anything to try and get change.

The way I see it most of the Washington government is corrupt as it stands and needs to be rid of, state level and local level government isn't exactly correct yet, it's one they start getting farther and farther along in their political career that corporations take an interest in them.

And really with multimillion dollar salary waiting for you when you're out of politics I can't blame a much, put six zeros after any number and I'm willing to sell my soul to you, I don't like it but everybody has a price and everyone can be bought.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"From my understanding Facebook has very little the real value, most of the value in the company is intangible, kind of like with Apple. 20 million hurts them a lot more than your thinking."

Apple: Market cap $433B, revenue $54.51B, net income $13B
Facebook: Market cap $68B, revenue $1.26B, net income -$11M

Apple's stock market value is 6.4 times that of Facebook-- with **43** times the revenue and actual profit. AAPL-to-FB is almost literally and Apples-To-Oranges comparison...

*revenue and net income is from each companies' last quarterly financial statement

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"From my understanding Facebook has very little the real value, most of the value in the company is intangible, kind of like with Apple. 20 million hurts them a lot more than your thinking."Apple: Market cap $433B, revenue $54.51B, net income $13BFacebook: Market cap $68B, revenue $1.26B, net income -$11MApple's stock market value is 6.4 times that of Facebook-- with **43** times the revenue and actual profit. AAPL-to-FB is almost literally and Apples-To-Oranges comparison...*revenue and net income is from each companies' last quarterly financial statement[/citation]

forgot about money sitting around, though i still stand by facebook has my physical value than apple, because the way stocks work, lets say a pencil costs 1$ and people want to buy shares in it, suddenly the pencil can be more valuable even though its only worth 1$

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
But a $1 pencil is only worth $1 and long-term it won't be worth more than any other comparable pencil.

The market cap of a company is typically more than it's physical assets because it is accounting for the future value of the companies revenue and profits.

If you think that in five years $1 pencils will be worth $10, then you might be willing to buy 'shares' of pencils at higher than that $1 per full pencil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS