The 6 Best Things About BlackBerry PlayBook Aren't Good Enough

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Actually, this unit is not the greatest.

RIM in my opinion has again dropped the ball when it comes to designing a new and relevant product. I recently had a chance to test drive one of these units and without prior knowledge of the interface was having a hard time using it. (So part one of ease of use: FAIL)

While testing the unit, it crashed a number of times with simple native apps. The browser app failed every time I went to Tomshardware page and any other site that had heavy flash usage.

The comment earlier about the Fan-boy-ism, try using the device before assuming that. Yes we all know it is a new device and it is going to have some problems, but some of these problems should have been resolved prior to releasing it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I think a lot of these points were really nitpicked to be honest. For example, the number of apps available will increase given time. Sure, there may be only 31 right now but honestly complaining about the number is slightly ridiculous.[/citation]

guess its not good until there are 3000 weather apps so they can say they have a bunch fo apps.. i mean who really cares 70% of them are all the same. Really didnt say anything i found to be negative. Its a rim device its not a toy like the android and ipad. My major complaint about it is its way to freaking small. Which even if i was going to buy it would make me not. The fact it tethers with the BB phone was the major selling point for me. I don't need my tablet to hold my conversations or contacts they are on my phone. i need the tablet for a larger screen for spread sheets and word documents not to play games and watch movies. Its a business device not a toy.

[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]In no way did we bash a whole company based on one product. But you have to admit that the PlayBook is a highly-anticipated product that has garnered a lot of attention and--yes--criticism. It is, in some respects, controversial because it represents RIM's attempt to compete in what is already a crowded tablet field.[/citation]

Are you sure they are trying to compete with them? RIM is a business phone company. Not something i can personally respect apple or android for. I don't want a ipad or android replica i want a real business tablet that tethers to my phone. Honestly i wish they would stop trying to make other peoples products and perfect for the market they cater best to.

[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]Multitasking and app availability are most definitely related, dude. If RIM is going to push multitasking as a marquee feature on the PlayBook, then they need to furnish the user with software to run, plain and simple. Users don't want to play the waiting game when it comes to software, which is something hardware makers keep failing to realize.[/citation]

Since it multi tasks great thats all i really care about. Its not like the apps wont come thats just obvious and less important of a factor on a brand new product. So i don't personally see it as relevant either.

G

Why would a RIM release a device that mus be tethered to a phone for mail, contacts, and calendar? These are RIM's defining features and it seems half-baked to release a tablet that does not support this functionality.

G

Have the playbook for 2 days now, don't understand why Tom is so negative? It's has the best browser bar none. Wonder how paid him to right this, Apple or Google.

Besides, Android 3.0 is slow and rushed product, but that's ok, because it's not RIM.

felipex

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Well in all fairness the author talk about how bad it is that the playbook does not have a back button unless the app specifically has it and then goes on in the next phrase to praise iOS for its elegance when it suffers FROM THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]This is a good point. We all know that iOS has problems too.[/citation]

The article is immensely biased Rachel, cknobman pointed out the author's bashing one thing in the product and then praising the iOS which has the same problem, and your reply is simply a red herring... Because it is not the only instance of this behavior in this article, the author also criticizes the lack of widgets and praises iOS, which lacks them too (unless you jailbreak it) for not failing at that? How come???

G

eewwwww, what a terrible uninformed and flat out incorrect article. i have no problem with a person having an opinion on something thats not popular with most others but there is no way you spent more than 5 minutes with the thing. how can you make a review without knowing how any of it works and leaving out all the so many great features. cant move things icons aorund on the screen? really? there will eventually be every app you could possibly want on this thing but who cares about apps when you can do pretty much anything you want through the browser.

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
[citation][nom]loutech4free[/nom]I find this article ok.It says great ideas but bad finish/execution.Too bad but BB is the latest in the market and could have taken some hints from iOS and android poor features like ''Back button/feature'' and more.For apples defence, its far from perfect but they were there first and they define "sleek" smartphone, imo.Most criticised functions/features like file management, BB bridge, HD movies are a bit baffling for a company like BB who targets Business customers, with the idea to make your life easier.... thats what gadgets are for, no?On the plus side you have multitasking , new Os, and size.What about battery life? or did i miss that?So all in all, BB made a product not really knowing who to target.This is the first review a read on this playbook, so i may come back and amend a little[/citation]
Dude IBM made the frist Smartpohne!

G

"The lack of any sort of centralized file management system is almost incomprehensible for a device that is supposedly marketed at business users."
Not required really, if the app manages it's files well. read http://manialok.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/irrelevance-of-windows-explorer/

What about browser of this device?

G

My perspective;
after reading several reviews on the playbook, including this one.
I had very high hopes for the Playbook;
instead, I am very disappointed.

my 11/17/10 post on:
http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-announced?page=6
my post:

I'm a long time apple user. Since the apple II, and have spent hundreds of thousands on computers since they first arrived. :)
BUT, the ipad is:(quote) "The iPad is nothing more than an oversized first gen iPod touch. And techies and professionals (PlayBooks market) know this"
I one hundred percent agree.

Apple has hyped it and able to sell to millions, but, it's just a toy for kids, like the iphones. all of them.

I was and am extremely disappointed in apple.

I want a SMALL tablet, not that giant clumsy useless (to me) ipad.
The ipad cannot run software I need for my business.
the ipad is way too large to take where ever I go.
It's not near as useful as a notebook or netbook.

Personally, I want a tablet that runs actual useful software!
I want a tablet with a 5" screen! (7" is the outer limit of useful to me.)

We will see how the Playbook works out, and I'm hoping it lives up to expectations.

BTW. I don't think apple has the smarts to actually produce a useful tool that I would want.
the ipad 2 will be the same basic overhyped trash that the current one is. with more bells and whistles, but never with a 5" screen that runs actual mac programs. (Like a real database: Panorama, or iCal, etc. (oh, didn't you know that all iphones, ipads have a rolling one year search limit? yes, they do. forget about finding anything in calendar past one year back!)

my post online about Blackberry Playbook, apple iphone, ipad... 12/17/10

RE: BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to be delayed until March...

Well, unless the ipad 2 is a LOT smaller, 7" or less screen size, therefore actually being able to be carried around anywhere, then RIM will have no problem whenever they introduce this BlackBerry PlayBook, which IS small enough to carry where ever we want.

and, as much as I like my Macs, I think Steve Jobs and Apple computer have ALREADY "taken' a strong blow to the head rendering 'them' drooling idiots". This opinion of mine is due to the idiotic choices that they have made:

IGNORING the fact, on the iphone, that it will search backwards in Calendar only ONE rolling year. Failing to fix this from beginning to iphone 4 AND ipad.

2. Producing this clumsy oversized ipod, using their considerable ability to hype produces and calling it an ipad, fooling too many into buying it.

3. Producing an iphone that is useless for business use. Instead targeting the young and gullible: a toy for kids.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
This device, despite the hoopla, cannot come even close to competing. Its yet another hyped letdown of many from RIM recently. No email app or calender? Seriously? That's great to you in a tablet? Sorry but I think I'll take an independent email app. Most all reputable reviewing sites gave this junk a serious thumbs down. I guess they all mostly wrong?

So please go buy one. If I see you with one "anchored" to your junk RIM phone just so you can use your incredible push email client on a flight I hope I won't be drinking anything.

This isn't about fan anything. Its about a tablet that is DOA right after it made it to the market. RIM's shared fell significantly after the release of this joke and they adjusted their profits forecast at the same time. Fanbois? Go down with your ship.

G

Kiniku is correct.
Thanks for taking the time to post a perspective that is realistic. :)

I do get discouraged with products like this that looked so promising, and fall flat, and the main postings about it are raving how great it is, by people that don't want to see the obvious, or can't see that the product they bought is junk.

Well, they say that only 2% of people are thinkers, 8% think they are thinkers, and 90% of people don't think at all.
:p

In all fairness, most people (that DO see it's true value) won't bother to post on a piece of junk like this. hehe.

G

Actually the Statement that you cannot re-arrange the icons/apps is completely FALSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.