The 9 New Features Coming in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
the smoother UI, offline voice typing, and the new voice search functionality is what I'm excited about. Great work as always Google!

I know OEMs will take forever to release this update for their devices, so I hope a new cyanogenmod will be in the works soon.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Will this be released for the S3? I'm new to Android phones and I've seen that many phones don't get updates for whatever reason.

G

My poor unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus is still on 4.0.2. Getting tired of Google not pushed OS updates to developers and their best customers. I'm already Apple in every other way. Don't make me leave you!

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Dammit SG3 will take months to get it official just like every other Galaxy. Looks like I'll be rooting and running a custom mod sooner than I thought. Hope Cyanogen gets on it quickly!

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
MS may have been the first with voice commands on a smartphone, but it is by far the worst. Looks like what Apple made popular, google has 'perfected', and MS will catch up in another 3-5 years.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
All of these features are great. Too bad we won't be seeing Jellybean on our phones until 2014 after the carriers and manufacturers get done adding all their stupid apps and bloatware.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
These are great updates ... but like everyone else said it will take forever for manufacturers to actually get this to their phones. That's my biggest complaint owning a droid. Shoot I dunno if I will even get ICS. Annoying as hell.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
1. I'll believe it when I see it, and fully expect each manufacturer to mess this up on their respective devices.

2. This sounds awful, I absolutely detest this function on my ipod touch. It makes me re-arrange things multiple times when I simply want to delete one app shortcut and replace it with another one... Sincerely hope that this function can be disabled.

3. Not appreciating the significance.

4. Couldn't care less but A for effort?

5. See 4.

6. Great, but when I share photos, it's rare that I'm sending it to a person/device I'm near. Never understood the benefit of NFC for transferring files.

7. Sounds great to me, I'd love a more detailed notification tray. Plus now I'm going to go look up marmoset pictures and youtube videos... Thanks!

8. Don't care.

9. Interesting depending on how it's implemented.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]GalaxyNexusFan[/nom]My poor unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus is still on 4.0.2. Getting tired of Google not pushed OS updates to developers and their best customers. I'm already Apple in every other way. Don't make me leave you![/citation]
What are you talking about? Mine's on 4.0.4. (it prompted to update automatically) Otherwise, go to settings, about phone, system updates, check now.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]GalaxyNexusFan[/nom]My poor unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus is still on 4.0.2. Getting tired of Google not pushed OS updates to developers and their best customers. I'm already Apple in every other way. Don't make me leave you![/citation]
You may be on a non-Google provisioned phone. This happened on my Galaxy Nexus in Canada, which was supposedly maintained by Samsung rather than Google. I simply flashed it to a Google maintained build (search for how to flash "yakju" if you have a GSM model) and you'll be getting the updates as you should.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thank God for XDA, and ppl who are on them crappy US carriers, root the damnd phone and get a custom or an international rom, stop waiting on your shitty carrier for a bloatware filled rom.

G

how about some good streaming capability over Wifi? something proper like what xbox360 did with shared media.

jundaboy

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
stop comparing everything with iOS crap. Android had voice recognition way before apple. (vlingo etc.) and even those were better that siri.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
You all who are wainting for updates should contact your phone manufacturer! We allso need a list of phone makers that are best/worst pringing up these updates and we should chose those makers. Otherwice we will newer see updates in timely fachion. Google can not force manufactures to do it, customers can. The problem is that most phone users newer ever update their phone... (and unofficial updates does not count because they don't mean anything to phone makers...)
Allmost hope that Motorola would be first "pure" Android phone so that it would allways get updates as soon as possible without any junk... But it would make other phone fanufactures so pissed of that it may be impossible to do without some counter measures...

Status
Not open for further replies.