The actual difference between Dell XPS 15 and Lenovo Y530/730?

Jul 14, 2019
Hey all, so I'm looking to buy a laptop that will handle heavy multi-tasking, Visual Studio and tons of other stuff open. I've been looking by specs, needing something like following:
RAM: 16GB
Processor: I7, 8750
SSD: 512GB
Display and graphics are that great of importance.

I also would like the laptop aesthetics to be nice and have a thin bezel. So I've come across Dell Xps 15 and Lenovo Y530/730 with the exact same specs.

Now, I understand that XPS has a more premium look and maybe the build quality, but also has its own issues (thermal throttling etc.)
For double lower price, there's Lenovo Y530 which still has that premium feel but maybe slightly lower build quality, however great thermals.

Even though Y530 is marked as Gaming, I don't intend to game much tbh, so it seems like a perfect alternative to Xps.

I've been people saying Y530 performance isn't as great as Xps, but I'm wondering whats the catch? The same specs, Y530 with better thermals how can it perform any worse?

And finally, generally which laptop of these or any other would you recommend for my needs?

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2019
what's your budget? don't a gaming laptop for productivity work. look for a laptop with a u series processor and (maybe?) a light gpu if you'll be doing light gaming or video rendering, but an mx150 should be enough for you. you'll get way longer battery life and it'll be thinner & lighter.

personal recommendation is the ASUS Zenbook UX533FD. i picked mine up for ~$1400 and it has 16 GB RAM/512 GB SSD/i7-8565u. it's thin, light, has long battery life, etc. im a software developer and i frequently have visual studio open alongside quite a few other programs and it works great.

TRENDING THREADS