The Best VPN Services and Apps of 2017 (Including Free Options) (Archive)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctbrowncoat

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

Got it. Thanks

Feb 13, 2018
My experience doesn't match the authors at all. My first VPN PureVPN had great speeds in my opinion. Once I learned it has logs I quit ofc., but the service was not 6/10 in my experience. Other VPN I loved ProtonVPN is not even on list. Also great speeds, seem safe and secure because its same company as ProtonMail we all know and trust! Lastly I use NordVPN right now and my speed loss is nearly inexistent. It has many features and superb customer support, I do not think this review is fair. I suggest giving all these services another shot - NordVPN and Proton has trials, Nord also has 30 day refund guarantee so it doesn't cost anything to try. Pure has no trial, but I don't know, you have a budget for these things anyway probably.

R_1

Estimable
Herald
I still strongly advocate PIA.
I tried NORD, the speed was just as good but I found it took longer to connect. I was unable to watch netflix through nord unless I went to the specialty servers and even then netflix knew I was in the states not the UK. PIA is cheaper to boot for these reasons alone I prefer PIA.

Feb 21, 2018
I use NordVPN for streaming on my firestick. Setting up my router was a b****, but once I got used to it it's all smooth sailing. 5/5 GG NordVPN!

Mar 12, 2018
This is my second year with NordVPN. I have tested it and compared it throughout the years with other VPN services. The features that they offer are exactly as advertised and I am happy with the speed. The support informed me even at the very beginning that the speed might be affected by more than their servers or even my own network speed but such things as my device or OS and driver versions. However, their service just kept improving in the past year so I'm really happy with it.

Mar 13, 2018
What a shame ProtonVPN is not on the list... Well I have tried few of these too, but my experience seems to differ from the author's. I moved from Express to Pure and after their log scandal blew up I moved to NordVPN. Set up on my router wasn't easy but the speed drop is almost unnoticeable.

Mar 20, 2018
Installed NordVPN on my Asus router without any issues and found the connection to their UK and France servers to be twice as fast as the one I had with my previous VPN provider.

Apr 3, 2018
I decided to try few of the services from this list. My first one is NordVPN. The set up was not just easy but more like intuitive. The biggest speed drop I experienced was 10% but even that was pushing because of the distance to the server. Have been trying my favorite streaming websites and have only had issues with Netflix France. I'm going to finish my month subscription next week and go try another VPN but I'm not sure which one yet.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How does Opera's built in VPN compare? The only problem I've found is if one uses Yahoo or AOL, you get the site designed for wherever Opera's VPN dumped you. And AOL will not you change countires while Yahoo will.

Status
Not open for further replies.