The Big DTV Switch: The World Didn't End

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samihaha

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I find plenty of contents online, free or fee-based. This switch to DTV will reduce the number of audience on TV channel even more. This switch will hurt TV stations, although great for internet content providers. Paid programming like NBA TV, WSJ (with video), now look a lot more attractive. Hulu and Fox Direct, CBSnews, NBCNews.com provide full episodes online free of charge. I just watch Conan O'brien, the Office, and the Family Guy. Of course, people who are inclined to waste time watching jerry springer can find similar quality contents on youtube.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]I've had HDTV since 2004. People need to get on board, plus this should have happened long ago. It's 2009 folks what's taking you so long. Hdtv can be had for nothing now. Even though there is nothing on LOL[/citation]

what the hell, you're kidding right? I could buy a used budget car for the subscribing fee and replace it every year for the monthly fee!

We're not all having diamond door knobs you know! Oh and just so you know, diamond ain't cheap :(

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerther[/nom]what the hell, you're kidding right? I could buy a used budget car for the subscribing fee and replace it every year for the monthly fee!We're not all having diamond door knobs you know! Oh and just so you know, diamond ain't cheap[/citation]

What are you talking about? HDTV OTA is free and over cable it's like $20 more than your regular bill... You can buy a car for $240?

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
[citation][nom]chripuck[/nom]What are you talking about? HDTV OTA is free and over cable it's like $20 more than your regular bill... You can buy a car for $240?[/citation]

Don't know where you live, but here in reality you can't get any kind of cable subscription for less than 60$ a month.

tat2demon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Looks as if Americans aren't as stupid as government officials make them out to be after all.

700k calls in the first two days says "yes they are!".

If five years of announcements spamming your TV, newspaper and radio are not enough to warn you about the change you don't deserve a TV, or a phone to complain about the change for that matter.

They started talking about it on our local news about 9 years ago. I doubt the timing was much different anywhere else in the country.

In the last 2 years they showed 30 second commercial warnings so much it was irritating.

G

I had great DTV signal before the switch in Rougemont NC (North of Raleigh/Durham NC) But after the switch I'm missing at least half the channels! I've rescanned twice now with mixed results. I have an HDTV and a new long range antenna. I was able to watch LOST and other shows in beautiful HD. Now I can't get more than a black screen telling me their is no signal for that frequency. I also had a small HDTV in the bedroom with "bunny ears" that was able to receive most channels as well... and now it can't get a thing!

So I was loving it before the switch... now it sucks really really bad. Hopefully I'll find a solution soon.

roorunner

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
lol, I like that statement "Looks as if Americans aren't as stupid as government officials make them out to be after all." - Yup the new goveenment thinks we are stupid and need bigger government to take care of us.

As far as the switch - yup, the Iowa PBS moved to a digital channel I don't get though I have cable. Oh well - there goes my pledge money. Me no see, me no pay.

G

"quote"
What are you talking about? HDTV OTA is free and over cable it's like $20 more than your regular bill... You can buy a car for $240?

I paid $250 for my 1990 VW jetta 2.5 years ago, and I am still driving it. I have put 78,000 miles on it since.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Democratic Motto. Your constituency are retarded children and you are there caretaker.[/citation]I prefer to say that the Democratic MO = Nanny Nation.

G

I am very angry that our government felt the need to mess with stuff that worked fine. I had no complaints with OTA, free, low quality TV. If you want/need 1080P you could get it from cable and pay for it. I'm on a budget now, and that budget does not include a new TV or a monthly cable bill.

Now as for DTV reception using a converter box...it stinks. I live in the metro NY area, and got all the major channels. Now when it rains, I lose two. VHF was easy for me to get. UHF does not make it through the local buildings and trees. I have an older corner-reflector UHF Yagi up about 25 feet. The amp is at the end of the coax, for distribution. Sure, when it works, the picture is great, and so is the sound. Just not enough to make up for what is lost. Oh yeah, and I have to disconnect one other set because the overall antenna signal (after the distribution amp) is not enough to power the converter (no sets work at that point).

To make DTV work, I'll try for a large directional commercial array with mast mounted amp, but there's no guarantee. No coupons for that; the experiment comes from my pocket. And don't get me started on the DIY coathanger. I made one and tested it at the work place. We are not "local" enough, but did get some limited reception. To be fair, it worked a whole lot better than rabbit ears or the silly circle UHF thing on the old set. But again, we will not get what we had without spending money well beyond the converter box.

Please tell your Senator and Congressman that the next time they get the urge to fix technology, they should try to fix Washington politics first. Maybe then they'll have credibility. I won't hold my breath.

johnqpublic2009

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
One last comment before I finish my rant.

By doing the switchover during the rerun season, not a whole lot of people are even watching right now. I submit that there would have been a near revolution if the change came in the middle of the more popular series, like 24, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol, (insert your favorite), etc.

I predict problems in the fall, when the regular season starts in again. Joesixpack goes down the basement to watch. He'll dust off his converter box, plug it in and attach the rabbit ears, pour the brew he purchased with the last of his unemployment checks, press the buttons, and WTF!!!

johnqpublic2009

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
One last comment before I finish my rant.

By doing the switchover during the rerun season, not a whole lot of people are even watching right now. I submit that there would have been a near revolution if the change came in the middle of the more popular series, like 24, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol, (insert your favorite), etc.

I predict problems in the fall, when the regular season starts in again. Joesixpack goes down the basement to watch. He'll dust off his converter box, plug it in and attach the rabbit ears, pour the brew he purchased with the last of his unemployment checks, press the buttons, and WTF!!!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Had no effect on me. Did not need a converter box, but got one anyway, well, cause here in the southeastern U.S. come hurricane season might just end up needing one. I see no problems should the need arise but with mother nature you never know.

G

Switch Happens... Get Over It and Simply Deal With It... Welcome to the future... the bottom of the barrel has just been raised... someone throw down more rope please

The following link may be helpful for anyone having trouble with reception

reception maps: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS