The Classiest Drive Enclosures You'll Ever See

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjpereira76

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
This is a pretty interesting piece. I can definitely see a market for executives who are all about appearance and don't want to clutter their desks with tech stuff. I do think $100 is way too much, though.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Immediately I see one problem with these puppies... wood is a poor conductor of heat. That's why people can "fire-walk" over 500 degree coals without burning their feet. As such, the drives will tend to run very hot in these enclosures.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wood doesn't exactly conduct heat very well, in fact its more of an insulator. Probably not an issue with a 2.5" drive, but still, not a feature I'd want to pay money for. OTOH, it does look pretty cool.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]You people are ridiculous. You sit here and rag on his articles without even realizing, your ragging on his articles, that you just read, in the comments section of his articles. The guy has a job working for Tom's Hardware. Anyone ever heard of respect?[/citation]
Respect is earned, not entitled.

G

I can make the same thing in about 2 hours with a router, jig saw and a belt sander. Wow, $150....I don't think so.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Between 2000-2005 I would take drive enclosures, pc cases, etc.. and lay down some wood panels on the exterior of the items. Its very thin and is real wood. Gives a nice clean look without issues of heat. If this outfit were smart they would make simple enclosures lay some wood panels down and have some metal portions (like the outter edge of frame) and have a satin or brushed alum look. That with the wood would look pretty nice.

Maybe Ill just get back into doing this and use recycled wood panels or something.

In the past wooden enclosures would not pose a problem however with the devices in todays world gaining so much speed and power. I would say an all wood enclosure is a bad idea.

G

[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]You must be young. Putting wood on virtually anything was HUGE in the 80s. Houses were finished with wood paneling and cars had it inside and out...as disturbing of a thought as it is.[/citation]

I thought the whole wood/brown/earthen look thing was from the 70s, and that the 80's were all about the sharp edges, bright neon colors and futuristic looks? Still.. not that I would know too much about 70's- I wasn't even born then. :)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hellraiser06[/nom]neiroatopelcc :U know who this new writer person is?Yeah, Kevin Parrish with a new name.[/citation]
How do you know? Somehow I don't believe it.
Kevin usually makes a typo in at least every second sentence - and this was well written albeit irrelevant.

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Thing with respect is, that you start out without it, and have to earn it. He'll get there if he matches his news pieces to the reader base.[/citation]

That seems to be a very pessimistic way of looking at it. I always give them the respect I would want from someone new. Let them prove with deeds whether it is deserved or recalled.

It might be a slow news day; of course a new writer is going to get the bottom of the barrel. Don't judge him on what he writes about as much as how he writes it.

As for the product? I could make for about $20 in about a half hour not counting drying times. This could be considered classy, but for $150 minimum I would expect a heat dissipation solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.