The Google Pixel 8 Pro didn’t get this upgrade — and it’s a problem

Oct 6, 2023
Storage is the least of the concerns. #1 concern is functionality and performance... Wifi 7 enabled P8P! Great camera and more... Tensor 3! Everything is cloud-based now anyhow; Google Drive, Photos, Mega, Proton Drive, etc. (all free cloud storage); even Gmail has up to 15GB for each free e-mail account. 128GB is plenty for the on-device storage; just transfer & backup the important things on the cloud, or to a PC hard drive - - AWS Amazon cloud; Microsoft account cloud... no problem. Pixel 8 Pro is now the #1 phone available! One thing I will say is that advertising a titanium outer case band on a phone (Apple iPhone 15) is a nothing-burger... who cares?! A phone is swapped-out or traded in every 2 or 3 years anyhow (useless to promote a titanium outer band around the phone). As far as Samsung, they have too much bloatware. Everyone lags behind the top-notch first to receive Android updates and versions provided by Google Pixels. I can't wait to get the Tensor 5 on the Pixel 10 Pro too! In the meantime, I'll be trading-in a P6P for the P8P very soon (depending on who has the best deal).

Reactions: leoallen
Oct 6, 2023
For many years, I couldn't understand why so many people are still hung up on "more storage equals better" on smartphones. As so many services are now cloud based, at this point for me storage is an afterthought, if a thought at all. But then I got in a conversation with someone who pointed out that not everyone lives in places where their carriers don't charge for data, so they're still stuck in the era of downloading everything. With that in mind, this article really only applies to those who still download a lot to their cell phones. For people like me (I've been using the Pixel phone since the first model and continue to upgrade to each Pro release) 128GB storage is more than enough. In fact, anything above that is literally a waste for me.

Oct 6, 2023
The author seems to feel that because 128GB isn't enough for him, that it isn't enough for almost anybody.

The entry-level storage doesn't matter as long as the device is still reasonably usable, and 128GB is plenty for people who take photos/videos on a casual basis, those who pay for cloud storage, and those who are happy with moving their media to local storage (such as a NAS) every so often. Which people who care about privacy might want to do anyway.

The photos I have from my entire life, including scans of photos and slides all the way back to the 1950s, consume only 100GB.

What matters is price. Don't complain because Google provided an extra storage/price point that's useless to you. They dropped the adder to get to 256GB down from $100 on the Pixel 7 series to $60 on the Pixel 8 series.

I have a hard time accepting that the author would be less irritated with Google if they actually eliminated a purchase option. So if Google made the entry level Pixel 8 Pro the $1,059 256GB model, then the author would be happy? Probably he would then complain about price, even though this flagship would still be well under a comparably-equipped phone from Samsung or Apple, considering Google's steep promotional discounts.

Oct 6, 2023
For many years, I couldn't understand why so many people are still hung up on "more storage equals better" on smartphones. As so many services are now cloud based, at this point for me storage is an afterthought, if a thought at all. But then I got in a conversation with someone who pointed out that not everyone lives in places where their carriers don't charge for data, so they're still stuck in the era of downloading everything. With that in mind, this article really only applies to those who still download a lot to their cell phones. For people like me (I've been using the Pixel phone since the first model and continue to upgrade to each Pro release) 128GB storage is more than enough. In fact, anything above that is literally a waste for me.
Yeah, and that's the thing. Sure, there are some people that may end up being able to benefit from more storage, or want more storage, but to try and make the claim that the majority of people NEED 256GB as the base storage is simply ridiculous. While it would definitely be NICE if they upped the base storage, it's definitely not something that's needed, and as they said in the article, if you compare the 1TB option to the iPhone 15 Pro Max, it's $1400 to the iPhone's $1600. For those going the Pixel route and absolutely NEED more storage, you only pay $60 per extra 128GB that you get.

Oct 6, 2023
I'm curious, why is this a "problem" exactly? The 8 Pro at 128GB starts at $999.

iPhone 15 Pro at 128GB starts at $999. If you want the Pro Max, you get 256GB at $1199.

Do you know how much you get the 256GB 8 Pro for? $1059. And the regular iPhone 15 Pro for $1099. If you absolutely NEEDED 256GB, you are still paying less for 256GB on the Pixel vs the iPhones. The only difference is that the 128GB option gives people a chance to pay less if they DONT need 128GB. People who want the Pro Max? Tough. You have to pay $1199 for 256GB even if you don't need double the storage of the regular 15Pro base model.

Reactions: dennyjoshuar
Oct 6, 2023
Yes, you cannot make a judgement about base storage in a vacuum. It goes hand-in-hand with price.

For example, if Google was to offer a 96GB entry-level Pixel 8 Pro for only $200 total, how could that be seen as anything other than an unbeatable option for users who have modest needs for storage (or who are happy to save $800 and transfer their photos to cloud or local storage occasionally)?

Similarly, if Google was to drop the 128GB option but raise the price of the 256GB option to $1,500, would this author celebrate the fact that Google has seen the light and now has an entry-level device with 256GB? I doubt it; he would complain about the price.

Jean Yus

Estimable
Jul 6, 2020
Rent a storage unit. Go to office depot and buy 700,000,000,000 memory sticks. Place memory sticks in storage unit. You'll never need to stress about Pixels having enough storage again. You're welcome.