The iPhone Has Been Tracking Where You Go

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Hey, maybe Apple can put a statement in the EULA that they can collect your bank data and access your account and withdraw money at will, then they could do away with that pesky new product development altogether.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
It is called fascism. That information is very valuable once they aggregate it all into their mammoth databases. Apple should be paying its customers for the privilege of this data, not the other way around. I am thoroughly disgusted that there are so many people who are so stupid not to care about the implications of things like this. I wait impatiently for the day when having a freaking brain is required for survival...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shadowmaster625[/nom]It is called fascism. That information is very valuable once they aggregate it all into their mammoth databases. Apple should be paying its customers for the privilege of this data, not the other way around. I am thoroughly disgusted that there are so many people who are so stupid not to care about the implications of things like this. I wait impatiently for the day when having a freaking brain is required for survival...[/citation]
Years of being drip-fed having civil liberties erosion, Bush used 911 to ram-rod the patriot act into law, even thought its the most fascist act since Mussolini - even calling it "patriot" act as if to imply if you are against it you are a traitor.

To quote the film "The American President" and substitute leadership with freedom:-

They want freedom. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

No one fights to stop their freedom being taken away, they are giving it away for free so they can browse the net and play Angry Birds.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
So the phone keeps a log of which cell towers you've been connected to. When you sync to your computer it doesn't store it in an encrypted format unless you tell it to. Neither the phone nor your computer sends this data to Apple or anyone else.

Seriously, big hoo har over nothing? If anything it gives you a fun way to visualise where you've been. What's next, getting upset that your phone automatically geotags photos you take for you?

Phone networks already have exactly this same log of connected cell towers themselves which can be obtained by warrants if need be. Use a mobile phone and someone somewhere could potentially find out where you are. All this does is give you a local copy of what the network has. If you're really bothered about this then you're best not having a phone. Or a bank card. Or a permanent address, let alone an IP address.

If this was an optional feature I'd leave it on so that I could get cool looking graphs showing where I've been. If you've got an iPhone, try the software out. You'll quickly see how poor the resolution is meaning it's only interesting for an overall approximate view of where you've been - it's probably got about a 500m resolution *at best*.

saintjah

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]How is this a bad thing? the only people who shouldn't want to keep a personal record of their movements are criminals...[/citation]

Seriously? You sound like a paranoid cop who thinks everyone is guilty.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You show me where in the EULA that Apple constantly tracks your whereabouts in a secret file that secretly sync to your home machine.Then prove to me that the home machine doesn't have a facility in iTunes that secretly uploads it to Apple for the purpose of... who knows what?[/citation]
Other than this comment being dumb (cause 'back_by_demand' did not read the article, or EULA) I do get one point out of this.

Why are EULAs so long and complicated? Shouldnt a law be introduced to include a dot point summary at the start with line number references?

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Crapple users have to be the funniest group of people ever. If anyone other than their holy jobs did this they would all be crying foul and how wrong it is and how they want to invade their privacy. Crapple does this and the users are just like meh, daddy jobs knows what's best for me and look, I can make a cool little map, teh he, my icrap is so awesome.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]How is this a bad thing? the only people who shouldn't want to keep a personal record of their movements are criminals...[/citation]
As another user stated.....if a thief gets your phone, it gives them access to ALL of your movements... sounds like a new way to steal someone's identity...and their possessions as well..

G

I really don't care. I'vew always known that a GPS enabled phone can track you - that's the point.

- Dana Curtis Kincaid

fastfashn

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Also, unlike the fearful, silly, Tea Party Teathuglicans that hang around everywhere and make comments about President Obama, liberals, Apple users, gays (etc), I know my equipment works. I've had this particular iPhone for more than two years, and it hasn't glitched. If I were using Windows Mobile (bleah), I'd have a paperweight by now. An obsolete, non-functional paperweight.

So, again, I don't care if there is a GPS location file. Really. I'm not afraid of the closet of anxiety like some people are.

- Dana Curtis Kincaid

fastfashn

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
"s another user stated.....if a thief gets your phone, it gives them access to ALL of your movements... sounds like a new way to steal someone's identity...and their possessions as well.."

Ummm... No, it doesn't. You get more accurate locations from adding your present location to Facebook or one of the other I am here services.

axefire0

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom] If you've got an iPhone, try the software out. You'll quickly see how poor the resolution is meaning it's only interesting for an overall approximate view of where you've been - it's probably got about a 500m resolution *at best*.[/citation]

The resolution is most likely 50.0m, the resolution granularity of GSM triangulation dictated by the way GSM is designed. Howeer, the CDMA version may have a different resolution.

notanakin

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]fastfashn[/nom]Also, unlike the fearful, silly, Tea Party Teathuglicans that hang around everywhere and make comments about President Obama, liberals, Apple users, gays (etc), I know my equipment works. I've had this particular iPhone for more than two years, and it hasn't glitched. If I were using Windows Mobile (bleah), I'd have a paperweight by now. An obsolete, non-functional paperweight.So, again, I don't care if there is a GPS location file. Really. I'm not afraid of the closet of anxiety like some people are.- Dana Curtis Kincaid[/citation]

Hmm, so I'm assuming that if the previous President had made it a law that every phone must keep a log of your location for a year you would have had no problem with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.