The King of Spam Gets Personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidrott

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
/sarcasm on
But, if I get emails from people that means I'm liked, right?
And if they took the time to email me, it must be important or something I'll like!
/sarcasm off

Well someone is buying into what he spams out...find said person(s) and smack 'em upside the head. Or, a less physical solution would be just to unplug said person's internet for 6-months to a year.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Having worked tech support for a few different major OEM's you wouldnt believe the stupid things people do. I always loved the calls where people would say they got a pop up that told them they had a virus.. Then it asked for their credit card number to fix it.. And after they put in the number, the problem still didnt go away.. I consider it a crime that I had to actually help that person.. I could see this same lady answering and replying with her cc info to every single email she ever receives in her entire life.

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Why can't they stop spam? It's so easy... Just cut Russia, Nigeria and China from internet and 90% of criminal internet activities will stop. To stop spam, just buy the senderID patent from Micro$oft and use it in every email service, and centralize all the SMTP service on several servers, like DNS and the TLDs. I don't see why this can't be possible? 99% of emails are SPAM, more than 50% of the internet traffic is P2P... what this 1% of real email messages are in bandwidth compared to that...

G

religious fanatics will probably shout scripture -

What in the world are you talking about and how is this worth sticking in?

G

Hey Tom's. Not cool with the religious deal. it would be appropriate to strike it. buts thats just my opinion not the news.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Back off there huh and thehunted, those religious comments are like any other, opinion, perfectly acceptable to all but the zealots; like yourselves apparently. No need to act like the muslims here and get offended at everything. God is no greater than any other idea, except in your puny heads.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
First off, spammers and virus/trojan creators should be shot. They cause untold hours of lost productivity and misery. I would not care one bit if their fat, pimply double-chinned heads were lopped off and set on a pike in front of Cisco's offices.

On another note, this stupid little dig at religion is a total non-sequiter. Where the hell do you get the idea that "religious fanatics" think spammers are out to get them? Spammers are out to get people with small pen ises and gullible idiots. And what do you consider a religious fanatic? The devout Christian that goes to church on Sundays and helps his neighbor? I'm sure you don't mean the actual religious fanatic muslim wearing the suicide vest - God forbid you actually criticize the real evil villains in the world. You might get your head lopped off. But Christians are easy targets cause they are taught not to fight back.

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I like the idea of charging for an e-stamp. 1 cent to send an e-mail would put a serious damper to the spam tidal wave, and not really affect anyone adversely

hesido

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Also, important, personal mail should be sent like this: Using a system similar to captcha, the receiving server should initiate a human verification process, asking the sender a question of some sort. Such processed mail should immediately be taken to genuine message folder, as opposed to normal incoming mail folder. This way, I can make sure my important, personal, and sometimes business related mail ends up in the right place. Why is this so god damn hard to implement?

G

Pay for sending emails? And just who would receive that money?
One of the dumbest things I've heard today.

G

When I began my College Searching I created 3 different Email accounts, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo. all 3 for use with Colleges & University's. I made notes as to which College/University i used the address for & i also checked it daily. All 3 where used for nothing else, & all 3 began to get Spammed out the arse! Now that I have learned that even Colleges are into the Spamming crap & giving out personal information makes you wonder about this country.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Having worked tech support for a few different major OEM's you wouldnt believe the stupid things people do. I always loved the calls where people would say they got a pop up that told them they had a virus.. Then it asked for their credit card number to fix it.. And after they put in the number, the problem still didnt go away.. I consider it a crime that I had to actually help that person.. I could see this same lady answering and replying with her cc info to every single email she ever receives in her entire life.[/citation]

What you fail to realize is, that people not familiar with this technology (computers) won't be able to distinquish between the antivirius and an imposter in an internet explorer window. On top of that most elderly, which incidently are often not familiar as stated above, are too naive to think someone wants them anything bad. They aren't used to this disgusting world we live in, and couldn't possible think it was attempted thieft.
Working with enduser support myself, I too am astounded by the lack of knowledge some people have. But they are simply knowledable in other fields where I possibly am not. So don't blame the user for not knowing better. If you're past 30, chances are you don't care much about computers other than for internet browsing - and then you won't nessecarily be able to tell the difference between real and fake mails, warnings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.