The Lamp With No Light Bulb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]etrom[/nom]Way to go, China! Keep your annual GDP growth close to 10% while lack education, health and proper work conditions for citzens.[/citation]
You'll be happy to know China's spending on education and health care grows faster than 10%.

[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Instead of hiring exorcists and other foolish "professions" how about improving the living conditions of the employees? It's not like they can't afford to make improvements. Of course this isn't going to happen if anyone recalls the first suicide that was reported on it was after they detained tortured one of their employees who later took his life after.I'm not going to buy anymore Foxconn products or anything they are linked to like the iPhone.[/citation]
The exorcists and monks are not there to “capturing” the spirits as in “Ghost Hunters” or “The Exorcists”. They are there to “lead” the spirits to the great beyond and calm the nerves of other employee.

If you are going to stop buying Foxconn products, you better start by not buying anything that use electricity that isn’t a fridge or lamp.

BTW, anyone ever done a research on suicide rates (both on and off job) for major corporations? I assume Wal-Mart and EA would take the lead.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]_cubase_[/nom]"Before we go I just wanna check if I left any walls on" ...just doesn't have the same ring to it.[/citation]

It's not like you say, "before we go, I just wanna check if I left any lamps on." You usually just call them lights. They would still be lights if they were embedded in your walls.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
So if I want to change the color of my wall, I can just tune the lights to that color? Seems easier and faster than painting!

G

I get irritated when people leave their Christmas lights on all year. It's tacky. There's no end to my frustration to have Christmas-like string lights illuminating my house :(

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]LED rate over 100,000 hoursThat's 24/7 for 11.4 yearsNo one uses them that long, they will stay on at most from dusk till bedtime so even a conservative estimate of 30% of the waking day would extend the running time from 11.4 years to 38 years.In 38 years if you even need to replace a lamp LED, just buy a new goddam lamp, not only will the warranty have expired but likely the guy who sold it to you will nave retired or even died of old age.As far as large scale ceiling LED coverage, if 1 LED goes you ignore it as you wont even see it if the panel is white and the LEDs are white, but if you really really need to replace it then they would probably be like tiles in 2 feet square replacable units.[/citation]

Just because something is rated as lasting that long doesn't mean it will last that long. There are defects, things break, just because something can last a long time doesn't mean it will last a long time. I've had light bulbs of various different kinds, not just traditional ones, burn out with in a few months when they are supposed to have lasted up to several years, because, I'm assuming of defects. I have had LED lights break, or wear out, long before they were supposed to.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Actually, the whole thing would be cost prohibitive atleast for the next couple of years. Unless you're willing to spend $100 on a lampshade when you can have a normal one along with the bulb for just $10.

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I'd like my floors to light up as well. It would prevent me from kicking the dog as much making the 3AM trip to the bathroom or kitchen. You'd think he'd learn by now where it is appropriate to sleep...

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]I'll stick to incandescent lighting over anything else[/citation]
You're backwards. Let me guess, you also think that global warming is false, and you believe in a great sky fairy who controls all of the universe?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mikie tim t[/nom]I'd like my floors to light up as well. It would prevent me from kicking the dog as much making the 3AM trip to the bathroom or kitchen. You'd think he'd learn by now where it is appropriate to sleep...[/citation]
The dog is waiting for you to learn where it is appropriate to walk at 3AM :p

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Cool idea for ceilings, but too impractical for walls. I need to repaint my walls periodically due to all the scuffs and nicks. What about drilling into the wall and pictures/hangings etc... I suppose if the panels are so cheap and power is routed robustly enough, it may not matter to just nail right through and take out a few LED's but somehow, I don't think so

Whiznot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
A collection of these would be a blast combined with a couple of mescaline hits and a couple of wild young women.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]FUtomNOreg[/nom]gpace, they wrote the title like that to get your attention not to be completely correct. As for getting your attention, it worked didn't it?[/citation]
Ah, journalists. Anything for more publicity, right? All about feeding the ads.
Wait, can we even consider Tom's journalism, or is it just blogging?

G

Didn't led light use to cost like almost no money? And now since they are used as actual lightning the prices went up insanely? I mean those little leds exists in computers or hardware from the early 80's.

[citation][nom]gpace[/nom]I'd personally like my ceiling to emit light, and the walls as the TV and speakers, but to each his own.[/citation]
My TV emits light; doesn't yours?
(I couldn't resist)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This LED lighting is a great idea with seemingly endless applications within our houses.

I think it would be awesome to replace lamps with roof or wall panels. having a "sky-light" in your basement would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.