The New iPad Has a Really Massive Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ha1o2surfer

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
one important thing to note is the iPad battery isn't supplying 12volts (I don't think it is, the old iPads battery was 3.8) like the MacBook Air battery so it is still quite small in comparison. In general, 3.5Volt Battery at 40Wh has way less capacity than a 12volt battery at 40Wh

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ha1o2surfer[/nom]one important thing to note is the iPad battery isn't supplying 12volts (I don't think it is, the old iPads battery was 3.8) like the MacBook Air battery so it is still quite small in comparison. In general, 3.5Volt Battery at 40Wh has way less capacity than a 12volt battery at 40Wh[/citation]
100% wrong.....that is why they reported the battery capacity in Wh and not mAh.....

w=A*V

The lower voltage just means you will get a longer charge out of a same capacity battery (again, see above equation)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]100% wrong.....that is why they reported the battery capacity in Wh and not mAh.....w=A*VThe lower voltage just means you will get a longer charge out of a same capacity battery (again, see above equation)[/citation]

Indeed. Ha1o2surfer, the 'Wh' is a measure of capacity, so you can directly compare the numbers.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ha1o2surfer[/nom]one important thing to note is the iPad battery isn't supplying 12volts (I don't think it is, the old iPads battery was 3.8) like the MacBook Air battery so it is still quite small in comparison. In general, 3.5Volt Battery at 40Wh has way less capacity than a 12volt battery at 40Wh[/citation]

Ahem, I am not an electrician, but 40Wh is 40Wh.
If you drain it at 12V you get fewer Amps than draining it in the same time frame at 3.5V.

Any electrical engineers here that can clarify this ?

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]you dumbass, Wh is Watt HOURS. it has nothing to do with your stupid equation w=A*V.It is equal to power times HOURS. NOT amps and volts you retard. god, how do dumbasses like you survive life?[/citation]

Oh god. How old are you?
watt=Volt x Amp
watt hour= watt/hour

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
So they made it lager to boost battery life yet taking the risk that this Lithium polymer battery just just puff up and catch fire isn't the best thing but for most just more battery life.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
What we need is an 'external' Battery port.
The port should be the same on all devices so an IDENTICAL external Battery can be used if the juice runs out. And as they are all IDENTICAL you could ask ANYONE to lend you his/her external backup in a squeeze.

Of course each device's internals of the battery port would then have to be in charge (pun intended) of converting the supplied power to the needed voltages and currents.

ha1o2surfer

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I was just thinking that the less voltage a battery is designed at the more amps/watts it has to draw at any given watt. A laptop drawing 10 watts at 12 volts will draw a lot more watts if it has to run at 3.6 volts. it's a good thing I'm not an electrician haha

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]you dumbass, Wh is Watt HOURS. it has nothing to do with your stupid equation w=A*V.It is equal to power times HOURS. NOT amps and volts you retard. god, how do dumbasses like you survive life?[/citation]

um... I'm guessing you're new to physics and math. Watts=Amps X Volts. It's quite simple An hour is 60 minutes in case you need that help.

ha1o2surfer

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
we don't know the amperage anyways. shouldn't have said anything lol but I'm betting the iPad battery does not have a similar amperage capacity as a macbook air battery anyways. (7.3volts actually I was wrong)

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
P=A*V (power is product of current and voltage, it is measured in Watts)
power describes rate at which energy is consumed or spent. two devices can have same power even if they are using different voltage (one with lower voltage will draw more current).
device with higher power can consume same energy as low power device, but it can do it faster.

Amount of energy stored in battery is measured in Wh. it is capacity (quantity different from power) and it is used to compare products regardless of voltage regardless of battery voltage. Wh is Wh, you may not like it but aoneone was correct. two batteries with same capacity (Wh) store same amount of energy and can do same work - regardless of battery voltage.

I am an EE.

G

" iPad may be thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, but all that heft and bulk (which is actually quite minimal)"

Minimal? The iPad 2 is already too heavy. It is not comfortable to hold for more than 10 minutes.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Being that I know absolutely nothing about power calculations I am not going to bother to even say anything about it. All I can say is I like the idea of having 4g radio with a High PPI display while still having 9 hours of life while using the 4G radio.

[citation][nom]ik242[/nom]P=A*V (power is product of current and voltage, it is measured in Watts)power describes rate at which energy is consumed or spent. two devices can have same power even if they are using different voltage (one with lower voltage will draw more current).device with higher power can consume same energy as low power device, but it can do it faster.Amount of energy stored in battery is measured in Wh. it is capacity (quantity different from power) and it is used to compare products regardless of voltage regardless of battery voltage. Wh is Wh, you may not like it but aoneone was correct. two batteries with same capacity (Wh) store same amount of energy and can do same work - regardless of battery voltage.I am an EE.[/citation]

Learned something there. Thanks for clarifying.

G

I love how a bunch of morons try to show their intellect . . .and completely fail in the process. This is why you shouldn't comment on the supposed errors of others when it really doesn't matter if they're wrong (i.e., a comment on the Internet . . .)

You may just make a fool out of yourself in the process. Stop trying to stroke your ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.