The Next Chrome Will Load Your Next Link For You

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Really cool idea if they can make it work well, but probably not so good for those with bandwith caps as it will be loading pages they don't even access.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I love Chrome....but it needs a damn print preview. How hard is that to add. I know there's the IE plugin, but I don't want anything to do with IE. Google has some of the smartest programmers on the planet and they can't figure out how to do a print preview?!?

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
The main reason why I stay away from Chrome is because it phones home after every key stroke. That is exactly how this new feature works. Google now knows every website you visit how long you stay there and what time in the day you visit. Yeah the browser might load pages 5s faster but is it worth them snooping on everything you do? I just don't think so.

G

Masterasia:

There's a functioning print preview in the current beta version. It works by rendering a PDF of the web page. Works pretty well.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Not sure if this is such a good idea. This generates an awful lot of extra traffic (i.e. more congestion) and -if you are on a dataplan- uses up your available Gigs. Only if Google indeed managest a substantial hitrate would this work.
Giving us more SPEED like other world countries have would be the better way to go.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
This will break my bank webpage... also automatic clicking on "delete" and "accept" links.... meah... I'll stick with opera.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Please no!
A good idea in theory... until the next page that it preloads is malicious. This completely takes the user out of the equation which eliminates common sense security!

(and i dont want google to determine which sites are "safe" for me before preloading either)

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I wonder if this would accidentally purchase something from an online store? IE: Everyone clicks "submit order" button at a certain page, so chrome assumes it should preload that page, automatically confirming your purchase before you've reviewed it. May be some fun bugs for the first few months. :)

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Does it pre-load the whole page, including scripts?

Or just the art?

I'm assuming it pre-loads just the art since the text-based stuff can be fetched instantly anyway.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So is this a feature that each website will have to implement themselves? From the description is sounds like that is how it will work. I manage a few websites and I guess if a high enough percentage of my users are using Chrome and I have a predictable path, then I can use this feature. As long as the sites themselves are managing this, then I don't think there will be any issue of malware, or triggering deletion of data, etc as some have suggested. Google isn't stupid.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I remember dong something like this in the old days, I use to download web pages at web cafes in collage since i wasent able to get wifi in my dorm at the time.

To be honest though, most of what I do online will also have a streaming service running at the same time. for example when i surfe the web I will be running Pandora... actually I run that for most of the day. If im not running that Im looking for videos, or shopping for something real quick. If my connection slowes down to the point that I cant do the above I take it as a sing that I should go outside and experiance actual human interaction... Like going online at starbucks. :p
Eather way it goes I dont see my self needing to prefetch a page because it just dosent take that long, and not to mention it sounds like a way that someone might be able to use it to plant some unsavery code on your system.

Its a nice feature that would of taken off in 2002 when dial-up was still the main way most got online, but now I dont want to touch it. It feels to much like adding a loop hole in your security, and thats why after 802.11g came out I stopped using that kind of softwear.

Looking at this article the question that comes to my mind is about compramise. How much of your security should you compremise for the speed of your browsing, when we compramise so much already for the conveniance of staying connected all the time?

nick2000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Now you can get infected *without* clicking the link...

Or you can get naughty pictures (or illegal ones) *without* clicking the link...

Great

G

@caguaman - curious to see you sitting with your iMac in a coffee shop - hope it's not the 27'' monster, need a huge backpack for that one ...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If Google could determine with certainty that I wanted to click on the first link, why can't they stop all the results poisoning that goes on? Just wait till tons of people get busted because Google didn't detect that their #1 result for a popular search got poisoned with something less than legal.

Innocent Citizen: "But Officer, I never visited that site in my life!"
Officer looking to make Sargent: "Oh really, what's this in your browser cache? Just what I thought, to the electric chair with you!"
Innocent Citizen: "Don't I get a trial first, and since when is online gambling punishable by death?"
Officer: "Enough of that, wait, what's going on over there, that dog is trying to attack me."
Citizen: "No he's not, he's tied up in the back yard, can't hurt anybody."
Officer: "He's coming right for me" BAM BAM BAM "You have anything else you want to say, I think your elderly grandmother is reaching for a gun, might have to put her down too".
Citizen: "No officer, you have successfully stripped me of my rights and freedoms, you'll probably get a medal, even when the case is overturned."

I don't trust Google to pre-load web-pages. I mean, their search result take less than a second, so in reality, all they're doing is saving me the second or two that it takes to read the first result and determine it's the one I want. What is the point of trying to save a second-or-two? This would only really benefit slow connections where it might take more than a second or two to load the page in the first place, but if that's the case, last thing I want my browser doing is tying up my connection for data it THINKS I might want. If I'm on a high-speed-connection, what is it really saving me? Are people so pathetically impatient these days that they can't wait 2-3 seconds longer for a webpage to load? They want Google to pre-load webpages, increasing hits to those pages, and allowing those pages to track your information at the same time undoubtedly.

Goddamn I hate where the world is going these days. "I can't wait 2 seconds for a webpage to load, I needs my Justin Bieber Wallpapers RIGHT NOW!!!". Christ, remember when you wanted to know something, you used to have to look it up in a book (and if you didn't own that book, you had to go to a library)? But the worlds going to end if Google doesn't pre-cache search results to YOUR browser for you.

Whatever, I don't use Chrome, google can do whatever the hell they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.