The Next-Generation's iPhone 5, 4S Parts Exposed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]Some people in this thread really need to grow up a little..Why would Apple read Tom's? This site is filled to the brim with PC yuppies and puppies. Yes, they knew about the antenna problem though. Got proof they *didn't* fix it on the iP5?Also, once again.. The BOM for the iP4 was close to 200(16gb model). Throw in the cost of manufacturing, the OS, and *gasp* "profit" that all companies are after(even more than your, lol, friendship) and the demand for the product, and they figure it's worth that. And considering each release does better than the last.. They could probably sell them for a tiny bit more. Hell, if they sold them for cheaper, I'm pretty sure more people on this site would have one.. Even a few of the Super Anti-Apple Haters here too. ;P That doesn't count the trolls though.. I'm pretty sure all of them already have one...or two[/citation]

Nope, us Apple "haters" are just not mentally retarded that you mac retards are.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]And where are these complaining Apple people? Apple has the highest comsumer satisfaction rate which is measured and published. So, making statements to fullfill your own inner angst? There's therapy you can apply for. Probably covered under your health plan if you hold a job important enough to have health care.[/citation]

lol, brutal dude. You do have a point though. You don't see Apple people complaining about the competition much. But hey, some people enjoy plastic phones.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Nope, us Apple "haters" are just not mentally retarded that you mac retards are.[/citation]

Yes, your lovely mastery at english has proven and debunked my logic. Grats to you. ;P

G

@tmshdw

and by your reasoning shame on all the other car manufacturing copying Ford with their 4 wheels and engines, cant they be more original, and for shame on Apple for copying AT&T kaypad layout for DTMF when designing their keypad layout.....

sometimes function really does dictate form (funny how most screens are a rectangle shape), Apple did not invent the form, what they did was popularize the device, at which point yes everybody and their friend is guilty of jumping on the tablet/smartphone bandwagon, it just so happens there are only a handful of way you can draw a rectangle

and if you really want a lesson in real history you might want to check out the LG prada, a phone which came out before the iPhone, but oh wait.... doesn't the iPhone look similar to it, so who is the copycat now

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Apple must have a time machine or something, because when they release the iPhone 5 and it looks and feels just like someone elses phone they will somehow magically convince the world it was their idea and they own it.

Anyone want to prove me wrong? How about the name of the iPhone, the iPod menu, the iPad name, the Apple logo, the list goes on and on...

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]MigthWantToCheckLGPrada[/nom]@tmshdwand by your reasoning shame on all the other car manufacturing copying Ford with their 4 wheels and engines, cant they be more original, and for shame on Apple for copying AT&T kaypad layout for DTMF when designing their keypad layout.....sometimes function really does dictate form (funny how most screens are a rectangle shape), Apple did not invent the form, what they did was popularize the device, at which point yes everybody and their friend is guilty of jumping on the tablet/smartphone bandwagon, it just so happens there are only a handful of way you can draw a rectangleand if you really want a lesson in real history you might want to check out the LG prada, a phone which came out before the iPhone, but oh wait.... doesn't the iPhone look similar to it, so who is the copycat now[/citation]

You mean Apple saw pictures of it in December, and not even a month later had a working iPhone, and released specs, dimensions, and pictures of it? Yeah.. That's kinda impossible.. Except for the possibility of corporate espionage.. But that's extremely far fetched man. I don't think it's a coincidence that LG hasn't pursued Apple in court for it. But nice attempt at a history lesson, and a very nice username ;P

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Uh oh... Samsung may be able to sue Apple for making a bigger and thinner phone.[/citation]

If samsung has the patents for bigger and thinner ;P

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Apple sucks, all their products sucks, i am glad i never used itunes or their ipods, because the interface just plain suck, i mean when i had the chance to use itunes, it seems that they would delete every song from my playlist when i just wanted to make a few changes or add / delete few songs but they will totatlly wipe your ipod/iphone when you sync. Only the first gen iphone was even remotely had solid build and feel, all newer iphones just felt cheap but cost so much. I hope apple dies!!!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]viciouz2000[/nom]Apple sucks, all their products sucks, i am glad i never used itunes or their ipods, because the interface just plain suck, i mean when i had the chance to use itunes, it seems that they would delete every song from my playlist when i just wanted to make a few changes or add / delete few songs but they will totatlly wipe your ipod/iphone when you sync. Only the first gen iphone was even remotely had solid build and feel, all newer iphones just felt cheap but cost so much. I hope apple dies!!![/citation]
You are confusing the issue, the problems you have with iTunes are USER ERROR
I personally dislike Apple, mainly on issues like profiteering, reality manipulation, bullying, litigation, theft, snobbery...
But build quality is something you can't really pick apart, sure the 8mp camera phone is something you could have found on a phone 5 years ago but it will be very well made and it will look good.
I have a Samsung Omnia 7 Window Phone and an 1st gen 1gb iPod Nano, why? Because The phone is better but the music player sucks and the iPod rules.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I really don't get the iPhone made from cheap parts comments.

The machined metal band/antenna, glass front and back, retina display etc. are all way more expensive components than the components used in 99% of all Android phones and yet almost all of the higher end Android handsets cost just as much or more for unlocked phones. The hate is down right blindng to the majority of Apple haters. The Android reality distortion field is in full effect more than any Apple effect ever was.

I laugh every time I read one of those Apple just steals technology and puts their name on it comments when they purchase small companies that make things like voice recognition, or streaming media technology. Yet they wave the champion Android which would by the same measure be stole technology that Google slapped their name on.

Sony-Erricson, LG, Nokia, Casio, Motorola, Viewsonic, Panasonic, Sharp, Sanyo, RIM, HTC and others all make phones with a distinctive look and not iPhone knock-offs. Yet every Apple or Samsung article has 100 posts defending Samsung for making iPhone knock-offs saying it's impossible to make a smartphone that doesn't look so earily simular to the iPhone. Guess all those other companies didn't get that memo.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
The machine metal band/antenna? that's cheap... I could make that on a lathe & milling machine at home...

They don't look the same. That's they point. Apple are trying to say that they are (Look at the tablet case for example)

G

@scuba dave

so you missed the whole form follows function thing then ????? i was merely stating a fact that LG Prada came out before the iPhone so to state that everyone was copying the iPhone form was mute, why not everyone was copying LG Prada ???? like i said there is only so many ways to draw a rectangle

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Apple has the highest comsumer satisfaction rate which is measured and published..[/citation]
You might want to check your published facts. Asus has the highest cust satisfaction at the moment. NOT Apple.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]FormFollowsFunction[/nom]@scuba daveso you missed the whole form follows function thing then ????? i was merely stating a fact that LG Prada came out before the iPhone so to state that everyone was copying the iPhone form was mute, why not everyone was copying LG Prada ???? like i said there is only so many ways to draw a rectangle[/citation]

Oh no, no, no. I most certainly didn't miss the whole form follows function part of your statement. I merely didn't say anything, or try to contest that part, as I do happen to agree with you there.. There really is only so many ways you can draw a rectangle, and there is only so many ways to design a rectangular phone that can fit in your hands. Similarities are going to occur. Products will clash in form and presentation. And in today's day and age, that is going to bring about lawsuits galore. It's sad.

Now, as for the Prada.. True enough.. It could be said that "everyone copied the Prada." Now, as the iPhone and Prada were both built at the same time(as we both agree..rectangles..only so many ways to make, lol) it wouldn't be so accurate to throw apple into that statement.. However, I think the defining characteristic between everything being an "iPhone clone" or a "Prada clone" is that, in operation and feel, everything does more closely resemble an iPhone.. And that's really about all I can figure, without ever having any "hands on" with the Prada.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I dont know, but starting now, I feel like if I see a guy with iphone5, i think he is a fad and got rift off... but then again, like some says, some just like cheap plastics

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
posters still ranting & raving about this so called apple iPhone 5 photos that have been leaked. I thought by now that the iSheep would of voluntarily joined in for some fun.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
So as I see it now, Apple will refresh the iPhone4 for the low end and release an iPhone5 for the high end.

Seems like a lot of work Apple is going through. iPhone4 is still relatively competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.