The Next-Generation's iPhone 5, 4S Parts Exposed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I find it hard to believe that any governmental "Consumer Watchdog" hasn't stepped in to curtail Apple's closed strategy. Wherein anyone who buys in for a short time, risks loosing everything if they opt to choose out of this "Snowball stratagem"....People are frugal, and aren't willing to pay for the same thing twice, thus the majority of people whom bought an app, wouldn't entertain the idea of buying into a new device.
To me, this is a monopoly....

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I really don't get the iPhone made from cheap parts comments. The machined metal band/antenna, glass front and back, retina display etc. are all way more expensive components than the components used in 99% of all Android phones and yet almost all of the higher end Android handsets cost just as much or more for unlocked phones. The hate is down right blindng to the majority of Apple haters. The Android reality distortion field is in full effect more than any Apple effect ever was. I laugh every time I read one of those Apple just steals technology and puts their name on it comments when they purchase small companies that make things like voice recognition, or streaming media technology. Yet they wave the champion Android which would by the same measure be stole technology that Google slapped their name on. Sony-Erricson, LG, Nokia, Casio, Motorola, Viewsonic, Panasonic, Sharp, Sanyo, RIM, HTC and others all make phones with a distinctive look and not iPhone knock-offs. Yet every Apple or Samsung article has 100 posts defending Samsung for making iPhone knock-offs saying it's impossible to make a smartphone that doesn't look so earily simular to the iPhone. Guess all those other companies didn't get that memo.[/citation]

What is funny is that while apple does from time to time include build a technology into the OS where is before it was a third party app, Microsoft has done the same thing for years. IE anyone? Also, if you think that Google does not just include other peoples intelectual property in Android you are a fool. This is common business practice hince the article the other day on Toms Hardware.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-patent-license-android-gold-mine-acer-viewsonic-smartphone,news-12464.html

Or did you guys skip over this one? Microsoft has a boat load of patents that Google used in Android, Google is not paying anything for it but all the phone makers that use Android have to pony up.

Google say's: I am going to use some of these great Microsoft technologies on the downlow in Android and make a great phone OS to compete against IOS and crush Windows Mobile and Symbian. We are going to take over the world.

Samsung, HTC, Acer, Asus and everyone else says: Hell Yea, We all can make IPhone killers now. They will be out of business by the end of the year.

Apple says: Wow, looks like it is going to take 8-10 different companies combined to get Android out there in a volume to compete with the IPhone numbers.

Microsoft say's in the background: Google has some badass lawyers that would take forever to collect a dime from them but boy these phone makers are easy pickings. We are going to laugh strait to the bank with this one. Meanwhile we will sit back and use the money from Android to fund advanced developement of WP7.

Apple say's: Watch the domino's fall but we have to pay attention because if they start falling while we are not looking we won't know they started because we won't hear them due to all the domino's being made out of thin plastic that can float in water.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]viciouz2000[/nom]Apple sucks, all their products sucks, i am glad i never used itunes or their ipods, because the interface just plain suck, i mean when i had the chance to use itunes, it seems that they would delete every song from my playlist when i just wanted to make a few changes or add / delete few songs but they will totatlly wipe your ipod/iphone when you sync. Only the first gen iphone was even remotely had solid build and feel, all newer iphones just felt cheap but cost so much. I hope apple dies!!![/citation]
Thats nice. Blame something else when the problem is really between the keyboard and the chair. Perhaps you need a nice padded room so you can really let it all out.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Just realized that people thought I was talking about the Iphone when I said plastic phone. Hold a Galaxy next to a IPhone. It is obvious who has a more solid design. The IPhones are built solid where the Galaxy just might float in water. I will take specialized glass, gorilla glass, plexi glass, and aluminum all day long over thin plastic.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
taken from some galaxy s2 review

"The Galaxy S2 is defined by Samsung and carriers with a two sentences: “ultra-powerful, ultra-thin, ultra brilliant” or “vivid, fast, slim”. It’s true that the Galaxy S2 is the best that Samsung has to offer today and benefits from improvements such as a dual-core application processor (also called system on a chip, or SoC), and large 4.3” Super AMOLED Plus display with a Gorilla glass. Additionally, everything has been integrated in a 8.49mm thin body that is very light (116g)."

Costing around 700$ (give or take) which coz the same as iphone 4 (both unlock) and not even in the same specs (far if you ask me).

This is also made of thin plastic but I think it has more value so I'll take this anytime. And with all that power and vividness, I would like that it floats on water because it must really be very light :)

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]taken from some galaxy s2 review"The Galaxy S2 is defined by Samsung and carriers with a two sentences: “ultra-powerful, ultra-thin, ultra brilliant” or “vivid, fast, slim”. It’s true that the Galaxy S2 is the best that Samsung has to offer today and benefits from improvements such as a dual-core application processor (also called system on a chip, or SoC), and large 4.3” Super AMOLED Plus display with a Gorilla glass. Additionally, everything has been integrated in a 8.49mm thin body that is very light (116g)."Costing around 700$ (give or take) which coz the same as iphone 4 (both unlock) and not even in the same specs (far if you ask me).This is also made of thin plastic but I think it has more value so I'll take this anytime. And with all that power and vividness, I would like that it floats on water because it must really be very light :)[/citation]

1: Galaxy S2 = Great phone
2: Galaxy S2 = Just freaken released
3: IPhone 4 a year old

The Galaxy S2 no question has great specs, as it should because it was just released in the US last month but if they used the same plastic that is on the other devices it will still feel like a piece of flimsy crap. Again, if you like that kind of thing, then great for you but to say that the IPhone is cheaply built like some of the posters have said, then perhaps they should actually hold them side by side and then formulate an opinion.

Here is what I noticed when holding and using the phones side by side. Not the S2 so this is apples to apples, or oranges to oranges just can case you get offended.

Samsung Larger
IPhone sturdier more ridged
Samsung more slots
IPhone much better screen (for example, better whites and blacks and higher resolution)
Samsung strange tint on the screen. faint blueish tent. Actually saw this on several other Android phones that used the same screen.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
So why can't apple release a great specs, one that is greater than S2 and not fight everybody who happened to release a better products and denying users of innovations...

and, If iphone 4 is a year old , why is it that if you take a look they are still priced almost the same at 700$ (ebay/amazon)... It is like they dont want others to innovate so they can make sure you will (always) buy there product at a marked-up/high price for a long time.

as you compare by dates, I compare by price... also, there is a lot of android product out there that is new, dual core but still cheaper...

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]So why can't apple release a great specs, one that is greater than S2 and not fight everybody who happened to release a better products and denying users of innovations...and, If iphone 4 is a year old , why is it that if you take a look they are still priced almost the same at 700$ (ebay/amazon)... It is like they dont want others to innovate so they can make sure you will (always) buy there product at a marked-up/high price for a long time.as you compare by dates, I compare by price... also, there is a lot of android product out there that is new, dual core but still cheaper...[/citation]

Cause they are making a phone and not a computer. They don't have to release a quad-core overclockable liquid cooled phone. They build a product that is balanced on all fronts with full integration with the rest of their product line.

Example. I can control AppleTV and ITunes, on top of using Airplay remotely. I threw a big party at the house and was able from my phone to discreetly send audio from ITunes on my Windows 7 box to 3 different rooms while still being able to control the volume of each room independently with a ITunes remote. The entire time from my phone I could also see the playlist as well as the album covers on my phone. This is with built in functionality. No third party applications. This is stuff people don't talk about. Great specs have nothing to do with that kind of stuff, that is all vision and integration.

Second Example: On my Macbook Pro that my job gave me for work I can create a private wireless network and connect my phone to it. At that point from my phone I can remotely control Keynote and deliver my presentation. Not a big deal by itself but what makes it great is the face that while everyone can see the presentation on the overhead projector. I can see both the slide and all of my notes on the phone. A swipe of my finger and the slide changes for everyone. Again, functionality built right in and stuff that people don't talk about.

Android is a nice platform, Samsung makes really nice phones with great spec's but hardware is nothing without software that truly takes advantage of it.

So no the Apple does not have to release a quad core phone with a 24 mp camera and 14 terabytes of memory. They will release a dual core phone with a 8mp camera with a professional grade sensor (hence why you can buy aftermarket lenses for the phone) and pay really close attention to industrial design and the phone manufacturing cost will still be about the same because they put priorities in different area's other than just the rated specs.

Another example: I have been building gaming machines since I was 17. I am now in my mid thirties and one thing I have learned that is that there are really only two processor choices and both are good. Intel and AMD, but the motherboards are all over the place. Now I can build a machine with a budget board (AsRock or something) or go for the gusto and get a DFI, Asus, or a Gigabyte.) I can use budget memory (which used to be a really bad idea due to memory errors) or I can use the good stuff (Corsair, Patriot, Crucial etc..). Now if I were to package this box up, what information do I put on the box? Most consumers will look at the machine with the best specs but the spec information does not mention what components where used. That is why a quad core box with 4 gigs a ram can be a sub $1000k machine or a $2500 machine with similar specs. Quality of components, workmanship, capability (like overclocking ability and stability) and other things like support play into why the same spec box is so much more expensive.

Now contrast that to all these phone debates and comparisons. No one is talking about what the devices can do whether that be through special hardware or software, only what the spec sheet says. Which is what a consumer in the dark does.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hahaha quad core! man you are over the top. We only want dual core SoC and thats already ok.
I have tested that iphone 4 in intensive games and it still bork when I get to the good part.

Aside from the apps, You analogy is flawed. I will not trade my dual core with a single and under clocked iphone (note again, IPHONE). Not to mention the low end cam for a high end price.
And all that you mention is doable but beyond that, I doubt. I play game with with my phone. I do some skype and transfer data at the same time. I take a much nicer pictures without purchasing/carrying a separate cam. I can change my os and do some more nicer stuff that OSS can provide. Virtually unlimited options.
My point is, I am capable of doing far more things with samsung S2/android compared with iphone.

And why would you compare a mac book pro to a samsung S2...? just compare it to the crappy iphone. If you really want to compare it with mac book, then try carrying it in your flight, make some calls and take some nice pictures with mac book pro :)

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
@1pik,

I don't totally agree. At first release, the price is acceptable. But after a year, it should have gone down with the advent of more innovative and powerful mobile device. However, instead of creating a more innovative device, they sorted to a dirty lawsuits and stop others from being innovative and coming with a much better device. Its like if you can't beat them, sue them :-D

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]Hahaha quad core! man you are over the top. We only want dual core SoC and thats already ok.I have tested that iphone 4 in intensive games and it still bork when I get to the good part. Aside from the apps, You analogy is flawed. I will not trade my dual core with a single and under clocked iphone (note again, IPHONE). Not to mention the low end cam for a high end price.And all that you mention is doable but beyond that, I doubt. I play game with with my phone. I do some skype and transfer data at the same time. I take a much nicer pictures without purchasing/carrying a separate cam. I can change my os and do some more nicer stuff that OSS can provide. Virtually unlimited options.My point is, I am capable of doing far more things with samsung S2/android compared with iphone.And why would you compare a mac book pro to a samsung S2...? just compare it to the crappy iphone. If you really want to compare it with mac book, then try carrying it in your flight, make some calls and take some nice pictures with mac book pro :)[/citation]

You can doubt it all you want but I am not lying about any of it at all. Apple provides a free app for the IPhone called Remote that controls Itunes and Apple TV's and another free app called Remote (strange that they have two different free apps called remote) that controls iWork.

I did not include the Mac Book Pro in the comparison. Keynote is a presentation software that runs on OSX that can be remotely controlled by Remote. Don't believe me then look it up yourself but this is standard stuff that is free to use.

To sit there and say that someone is lying about features that they have used just because you could not fathom having that feature on your Android phone is sad. These features are just stuff that can be used in IOS. So it does not even have to be a Iphone. It could just be a IPad or a IPod Touch or something. Again look it up.

Oh and one last thing.....People have been talking about dual and quad core processors in a phone for a long time on this site so stop acting brand new like you did not know it.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]Hahaha quad core! man you are over the top. We only want dual core SoC and thats already ok.I have tested that iphone 4 in intensive games and it still bork when I get to the good part. Aside from the apps, You analogy is flawed. I will not trade my dual core with a single and under clocked iphone (note again, IPHONE). Not to mention the low end cam for a high end price.And all that you mention is doable but beyond that, I doubt. I play game with with my phone. I do some skype and transfer data at the same time. I take a much nicer pictures without purchasing/carrying a separate cam. I can change my os and do some more nicer stuff that OSS can provide. Virtually unlimited options.My point is, I am capable of doing far more things with samsung S2/android compared with iphone.And why would you compare a mac book pro to a samsung S2...? just compare it to the crappy iphone. If you really want to compare it with mac book, then try carrying it in your flight, make some calls and take some nice pictures with mac book pro :)[/citation]

By the way, you just showed how little you know about camera's. MP has no bearing on the level of camera. The sensor does. That is what effects picture quality the most. There some really high mp camera's that get trounces by 5mp Pentax Camera. Why, the sensor is wayyyyy better in the Pentax.

Would I like more megapixels, sure that would be nice. I would take a bad ass sensor in my camera though if I had a choice.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Took you looong time to react.

But why even add that remote apps in the comparison??? Does that help me to play apps in my mobile??? does that guarantee that a fast phone. Will it help me multitask??? Geeze your just blabbering nonsense here...

The truth is your iphone is undervalued and slow and expensive. (cr)apple better come out with better spec iphones and not just ride with the hype because not all people are as stupid to get duped.

lastly, if dual/qual core has been there for so long, why is your (cr)apple not release high spec iphone...? hahaha

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]Took you looong time to react. But why even add that remote apps in the comparison??? Does that help me to play apps in my mobile??? does that guarantee that a fast phone. Will it help me multitask??? Geeze your just blabbering nonsense here...The truth is your iphone is undervalued and slow and expensive. (cr)apple better come out with better spec iphones and not just ride with the hype because not all people are as stupid to get duped. lastly, if dual/qual core has been there for so long, why is your (cr)apple not release high spec iphone...? hahaha[/citation]

Seriously bro, help you play apps. WTF are you talking about? Go back and read the original post that you replied on. I was talking about the functionality that you said you doubt could be done on the IPhone.

Also, the IPhone 4 was released over a year ago now. At the time of release nothing had a dual core. 3-4 months later the dual core phones came out. Nothing slow or underpowered about the phone at all. It all depends on the software requirements and there is not a single piece of software on the phone that does not perform on the phone.

We are looking at phones from two different perspectives. There is nothing wrong with that. I personally don't spend time gaming on my phone. I use it for business mostly. Sounds like you are more of an enthusiast that finds value in what android has to offer.

Oh yea, rated specs on the IPhone 5 is a dual core. It is going to use an updated version of the IPad chip which is a dual core chip.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
And again we are back with the counter post of WHY IS IT STILL 700$ hayyyy

Like I have said, I skype while I copy files and and surf the net. I don't know about you but your 700$ iphone can barely do that.

your upcoming iphone5 which is already from your post is old technology that iphone is just releasing tomorrow. hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.