The Pentagon Approves Android; iOS Still in Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

reason's why Ios and android will not be approved dod sources. Open source is the reason. Too many high risk security features in both of the applications.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Why are they even bothering with either, RIM is built JUST FOR THIS. Why fix what isn't broke? I mean, i like android and Apple (i have a 7' Sprint Evo View 4g with Honeycomb and an iPhone) but come on, the blackberry is super secure. Shoot, the DoD should have worked with HP for the Palm just for DoD :)

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I'm amazed the DoD have decided that android (well, one company's implementation of it) is secure enough.
Any mobile OS that allows sideloading of non-approved/examined apps shouldn't even be considered for accessing potentially sensitive information.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]deafdose[/nom]reason's why Ios and android will not be approved dod sources. Open source is the reason. Too many high risk security features in both of the applications.[/citation]
For starters, what open source about iOS?
Secondly why does being open source make it automatically less secure?

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gregor[/nom]For starters, what open source about iOS?Secondly why does being open source make it automatically less secure?[/citation]

Because open source is evil that's why! :p

asnet0007

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Surely this will change everything. encrypted secure vm in android.

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2011/02/15/android-dalvik-vmware-virtualization/

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]gregor[/nom]For starters, what open source about iOS?Secondly why does being open source make it automatically less secure?[/citation]
Because by definition the source code is out there for everyone to see.

That's like asking "Gee, I wonder why our new stealth fighter isn't so good when we published the blueprints for all to see". Giving source code out is like giving a road map to make things easier to get into. Open source has it's place, but around sensitive information is not that place.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Yup, the military is choosing android over iOS im certain because they can compile a secure kernel. Android versions may be fragmented but they can customize the OS. Both OS's are unix based but, iOS is way too proprietary, that's apples biggest gov't adoption problem. Military started testing iOS back in 2008 but it still hasn't passed approval stage yet. They started testing android a year later and it is approved.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
@Wildkitten - the flip side of that is that it can be fixed by people in the know. They can audit the source code for themselves and see and hopefully fix vulnerabilities.
Thats not to say that I think open source is more secure than closed, maybe it is maybe it isnt. I would think it depends more on the quality and testing procedures of the developers. That goes equally for closed source, except you cant see the code to tell.
Anyway IMO open source does not automatically = insecure, and closed source does not automatically = secure either.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Because by definition the source code is out there for everyone to see.That's like asking "Gee, I wonder why our new stealth fighter isn't so good when we published the blueprints for all to see". Giving source code out is like giving a road map to make things easier to get into. Open source has it's place, but around sensitive information is not that place.[/citation]
I guess this explains why most server, specially those than contain sensitive information, run an open source OS, and still manage to be more secure than the closed source competitor.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I guess this explains why most server, specially those than contain sensitive information, run an open source OS, and still manage to be more secure than the closed source competitor.[/citation]
Not with the government it doesn't.

I have a friend who is a programmer with a well known company. He gave a demonstration and built a keylogger directly into a well known open source program's executable file. It only took a few minutes and nothing detected it.

Sorry, but I still don't want my personal information ever sitting on open source software. The argument that "well open source means more people can find the vulnerabilities and fix it" just doesn't work for me. If that's true security, tell me why we don't make our best weapon systems common knowledge as far as how they work and how they are built? I mean there would be so many more people who could make that weapon system better right? And if the "bad guys" don't hack open source software, surely the "bad guys" won't use the knowledge the blueprints of the weapon systems.

And I would really love to see some research to back up your claim that open source OS's that contain sensitive information is more secure than their closed source counterparts.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]I'm amazed the DoD have decided that android (well, one company's implementation of it) is secure enough.Any mobile OS that allows sideloading of non-approved/examined apps shouldn't even be considered for accessing potentially sensitive information.[/citation]

There are many reasons why Android is used, the largest of which IMO is cost. When you have millions of accounts at $30/seat/year + server cost (cost for BES + licensing.) you can buy a whole mobile IT department instead off relying on RIM to do it for you.

In case you haven't noticed RIM isn't exactly doing to hot in any market right now, not even security. Their devices filter all content through their servers before the destination device is reached. This is why a "blackberry outage" generally covers the whole of north america or more, and not just "city or carrier X."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS