The Supposedly Unbreakable Touch Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Not to sound stupid, but haven't people determined that graphene is really more 'un-puncturable' than it is 'indestructible'? There was a ten minute segment on TV about the stuff, and it may be wrong, but from the sounds of it, it's kind of like a diamond - sure you cant scratch it, but just dont take it out and start beating on it with a hammer.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]SomeGuyNamedMatt[/nom]Not to sound stupid, but haven't people determined that graphene is really more 'un-puncturable' than it is 'indestructible'? There was a ten minute segment on TV about the stuff, and it may be wrong, but from the sounds of it, it's kind of like a diamond - sure you cant scratch it, but just dont take it out and start beating on it with a hammer.[/citation]
Carbon nanotubes are made from same material and they can be stronger then steel, harder then diamond and bendable at same time. Its not only about material but also structure its made on.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to play Duck Hunt for NES with a real gun. Sounds like a screen made from this material may be the ticket!

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Every little progress counts and thinking of kids toys, this will come in handy. I'm thinking this may not be limited to displays either. Generally, seeing some people abuse their phones etc. additional armor is certainly helpful.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]letsgetsteve[/nom]Tom's you need to pick up the new section. Its terrible.[/citation]

News.

Oh, the irony.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]SomeGuyNamedMatt[/nom]Not to sound stupid, but haven't people determined that graphene is really more 'un-puncturable' than it is 'indestructible'? There was a ten minute segment on TV about the stuff, and it may be wrong, but from the sounds of it, it's kind of like a diamond - sure you cant scratch it, but just dont take it out and start beating on it with a hammer.[/citation]I'd think that, as with most touch screen devices, the problem would be less smashing and more scratching, in which case hardness would be a definite priority. That is, it will be the priority at least until the "Pog" app comes out.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Reminds me of a display for Oakley M frames I saw in a shop.

Glasses, mounted on a polystyrene head, shot with a 12-gauge shotgun.... glasses were fine, the head was mush.

Status
Not open for further replies.