The Tablet Is Dead As We Know It - and That's Good

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014

Good point. It does seem like tablets have settled into a tweener position, and vendors need to be more creative to get them out of that rut.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014

I'm curious what kind of killer 64-bit apps would really compel someone to buy a tablet.

ninjustin

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Personally I'm in the market for a new tablet. If I could get something close to Apple build with Android I'd be in. I'd go with a Nexus 9 if the build wasn't so bad. There are a lot of bad Android tablets out there.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
For the price of most good tablets, you can pretty much go for entry level gaming laptops. Tablets have very large profit margins, and that makes them a poor option when it comes to value.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
As has been said by many others, what they currently have is good enough. Even the niche markets aren't going to do that well (like gaming) since most users don't buy these devices for that purpose; which is one of the only reasons why they'd upgrade. Nvidia has been hurting trying to get their Tegra chips to sell as a result and they K1 is nearly a bomb sales wise for them.

I'm also thinking that people are shying away from using these things as gaming devices since the Ouya and Gamestick was basically considered a flop in the console market as well. Does the tablet, or Ouya or Gamestick, even have a game that can compare to a console system? It doesn't really seem like it to me.

The final big issue they have is as these tablets keep getting more powerful, their price keeps creeping up slowly into the laptop market pricing; where you get much more a system for the price. The Surface 3 pro is one of the only expensive tablets I've seen that can even compete in that market.

Tablets are like the netbooks before them, the popular thing to buy at the time.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

um... im on 3 years on this current install, and thats 3 year 24/7 use with shutdowns every few months unless something happens to force a shutdown... and i narrowed that to having 150+ processes running...

i have no idea what you do, but you are NOT describing the windows experience i have... at least sense windows 7.

i find the lack of ability to mess with apples hardware outside of itunes infuriating (any apple hardware i come in contact with is familys and not mine, so i cant do anything to make my life easier when fixing/getting crap to work with it.)

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
The simple fact is this was always inevitable. When the smartphone platform and the PC platform starts crossing paths because one gets slightly more powerful and the other gets a lot more power efficient, the PC platform was always going to win. Candy Crush or Battlefield 4? Office mobile or actual Office? Mobile web browsing or browsing the full web experience? No matter how you turn it, mobile loses this battle.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

How much did Apple pay you to write this? I, nor anyone I know has experienced the issues with Windows like you're trying to explain outside of Windows 95 and ME. Oh and as for Mac OSX? We have 3 of them at work and have just as many issues with those as the windows systems doing server duties that are constantly under higher loads.

The only way I can even think of a Windows machine having that kind of issues is maybe a Walmart $300 special; but then at that point you're comparing a $1200+ machine to one that's at most a quarter of the price.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Firstly, they don't "Just Work" and they never have. They're computing platforms and thus have plenty of bugs and hangups. I've dealt with my fair share of Apple devices [especially their blasted phones] and they're just a practice in frustration once you go more than 2 generations back. That's not a knock on them so much as a fact of life with mobile devices, but don't pretend Apple is somehow exempt from this when they aren't.

Secondly, either you're buying or using old and/or terrible hardware, or you've had uniquely bad luck with Windows. I've had every version since 3.1, and with the exception of Vista driver nightmares [which in reality was hardware vendor fault] it's been perfectly fine to use, and since 7 it's been amazingly smooth. I have a habit of blowing out and reinstalling Windows once a year, but even that has felt like overkill for like 5 years now [current build of win8.1 is sitting at around 2 years I believe].

You won't believe how many times I've heard people claim they were switching to $1000+ macs because their $200 Windows laptop was giving them problems. Makes it really hard to believe when people complain about the OS in a general sense.

Isumbras1

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
What b*****s, i couldn't work as effectively without my iPad. I do't want a large iPhone and cetainly not a crappy, buggy, clumsy Android phone.

Isumbras1

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
Windoze is crap since XP. I'm a technician and stopped working on PC's many years ago because when they get screwed up they really get screwed up. Try setting up drivers on a Dell or an HP and you'll know what I'm talking about; even ostensibly identical Dells and HPs have different graphics, audio cards etc whatever is cheapest at time of manufacture. And all those dll files - nightmare. And PC owners are barmy and impossible to work for. I did have one good Windoze machine once, a Sony Thinkpad running under XP, I foolishly upgraded to Vista and found myself in a "world of s**t".

Sorting out a sick PC costs real money; Microsoft like that!

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

Well, you just hit the nail on the head with what we're talking about in comparing an cheap PC to an expensive apple. Dell and HP are junk brands, using the cheapest parts they can find. It's not an issue with Windows in those cases, it's with those companies themselves.

Now if you compare a Falcon Northwest, Alienware (Dell's high end), or similar boutique computer that is in the same price range of an Apple, you will have more powerful hardware and none of the issues you keep referring to.

Pardon the pun, but you're trying to compare Apples to Lemons instead of the same market.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I haven't found a reason to buy a tablet. My phone goes everywhere and if I'm taking a larger device, it's my macbook pro because I want to be able to do a lot more with it than just watch youtube. I would consider a Surface because it has many more artistic options but in reality, I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify the costs. I didn't even upgrade my iPhone 4 until the 6 came out because the incremental upgrades each year are yawn inducing, so that's even less incentive to go for another piece of tech equipment.

And for those who will want to Apple bash me, I'm writing this on my Windows Desktop PC. Like someone mentioned above, I grow tired of dealing with Windows and the overabundance of mediocre offerings that I have to make it through to find the gems. My mac and iphone just work. I don't have to go deep into settings to eek out a bit more performance or wipe and install the operating system that seems to be needed far too often on Windows.

kevin freels

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I had a hard time finally deciding to buy a tablet. I just couldn't figure out what I would use it for. Laying on the couch watching TV, I watch a big screen. If I want to play a game, I grab my phone. I ABHOR touch screen keyboards so if I have to do any type of typing, i grab my tablet PC (have owed the Dell XT2, Fujitsu T730, and Lenovo Twist). I LOVE my Twist because if I want a tablet I can have one. It's a bit large and heavy but I hardly use it that way. The surface is nice but it won't sit up in my lap Not sure what fool at MS overlooked that one.
But I ended up buying a Nexus 7 in the middle of the hype. It was a poor substitute for my kindle. It was kind of useless really and eventually replaced the magazines in the bathroom. I guess that was worthy. Putting a tablet in each bathroom makes sense. lol
But then I found the ultimate use for it. I put it in an magnetized case and stuck it on my fridge. I tied together evernote, tasker, and commander and came up with the ability to just holler "OK Google, add milk to the grocery list" and bam, it's on my PC, my phone, my wife's phone, and everywhere else. It displays constant weather updates from my personal weather station outside. I can use it to "intercom" my kids and tell them it's time to eat, I can rapidly look up recipes, use speech to launch music and choose the songs I want to hear, use speech to find out what movies are playing, query my calendar, set reminders, start pandora, get OK google to do quick math and measurement conversions in the kitchen, control my bose system, play the news, remind me when i need to leave for work, and use google voice to call people in a pinch.....all while my hands are full. This is perhaps the ONLY good use for a tablet and I'm waiting for even more functionality. I'd like to have one in each room on the wall, displaying photos as a frame or whatever and ready to be my assistant as needed. I'm really working to expand tasker integration to make it even more useful. That's what these things are good for. Not much else. lol

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
There are plenty reasons for this...and the least of them are stated in the article.
The tablet is the answer for more performance and bigger screens for the smartphones a few years ago. Tablets are usually left at home and less used compared to phones.
Windows machines are also approaching tablet usability and convenience.
Tablets will not die though as PCs never did.

InvalidError

Distinguished

PCs, at least in their conventional form factors, are not faring too good at the moment. While they might not die, they are losing market share. Most of the non-PC-gamer, non-IT/engineering people I know would not care if I replaced their PC with something else that still enables them to watch Netflix, Youtube, read web sites, eMail and use Skype... even a 6-8 years old PC can do all of these fairly well.

VanGilder Michael

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Your article states ‘While the overall market will probably never bounce back to previous levels’. Of course, the market is ALREADY saturated. That only happens once per product. In order to make It happen again, there must be an ENTIRE DIFFERENT product.
To achieve this. I suggest, a lot more RAM, and STORAGE. And not just an extra gigabyte, or two. I mean A LOT MORE, we could start with a threefold increase. So where 2 gig exists, it will turn into 6 gig. And then the connectivity issue. I do not know if a ‘wireless’ charging exist yet, that could compete with the claims I hear the USB type C can offer. But you can see where this is leading. The whole ‘POWER’, Schtick, will need to be reborn. A better battery, and charging scheme.
And then display. I ‘personally’, am sweet to the ‘super AMOLED’. But, I am talking about a, re-birth, and the ‘super AMOLED’, is last generation. So there needs to be a ‘super-duper AMOLED’. I’m thinking, less power consumption, better viewing angle, and a finger print reader built into the display itself. I can’t see much improvement that better resolution could offer, for a little 10 inch screen. So resolution will be last on my queue, of improvements to make.
AND then, the most important change. The tablet needs to be modular. Where you can swap out parts, for newer ones. Like a desktop. Now, since the market is already saturated, that modular addition, will not hurt, subsequent sales.
I think, with all these improvements. Then you COULD see the sale of tablets return to previous levels. You would have a NEW product. It could work.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Late here, but I'd say a complete port of adobe suite and other popular stuff that poor people just can't afford a PC for allowing poor to create content etc instead of just consume it with these. Meaning these would fit a mobile purpose and a substitute for PC at home. Adobe has been amping up their android stuff already, but gaming will sell more of these first (this already requires more power, then the REAL apps come). My point about apps was really for chips after xmas or so when the 64bit OS is more polished and we start seeing 4GB mem, etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of amping up developing nations here (or poor from everywhere I guess), rather than a USA buyer with a good job ;) I have a PC for that stuff. There are a lot of people familiar with Android but have no windows experience (and no pc) and no desire to learn it. With some of the most used PC apps running on android 64bit you could see the poorer people among us start developing on these things when hooked up to a monitor/key/mouse at home (plugged in of course).

If you exclude windows tablets, PC worldwide sales are well under 280mil/year (and many of that goes to businesses). So a capable tablet is already being used as this, but they need more power to get real apps over there. 14nm all this year, and a switch to 10nm next year (Q4 or so) or early 2017 should make my point a reality for a lot of people. Everything around them is getting smaller/faster/less power also to help them become more like a PC's power (the lower end anyway). IE samsung's new ufs storage:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477409,00.asp
We'll have die shrinks of memory lowering power too etc. That gives more room for SOC power even as they themselves shrink too. The storage above is faster and 50% less power. A few more revs of stuff like this and other parts in the device doing the same and you'll have a very power unit that serves many purposes (a PC doesn't leave your house etc and it's a luxury item even in usa for some still).

Status
Not open for further replies.