The World's Safest Browser: BitBox

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Fine with just using FF4 + noscript, although I have sandbox software never felt the need to use it as I'm neither a complete paranoid or fucktarded enough to open attachments from Nigerian millionaires.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Wow, people complaining about 990mb really don't get what's going on. It's VirtualBox, Linux, AND a customized Firefox browser. That's why it's 990MB.

RevolutionRed

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
This is indeed an extreme solution, but I like the fact it works just like a normal browser once installed. Reverting to default notwithstanding, that's still more convenient than having to boot up a live cd or run a second OS (I realize that's what's happening in the background, but my understanding from the article leads me to believe that aspect is hidden once the program is installed).

It's certainly way overkill for a standard browser and there are other issues like masking your IP address if you're trying to be completely anonymous while on the internet, but I can see where government agencies who need to visit the "dark corners of the internet" would like a system like this. It makes a lot of sense.

I'll probably never use it but it's interesting to know about. Thanks Wolfgang!

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
You should have STARTED the article by saying the software is only available in German. I wasted time reading the whole thing to find that out. Vielen dank.

And you should at least have mentioned Sandboxie. This freeware has been available for years (in English) and does essentially the same thing with about one percent of the overhead.

Another useless fluff piece with a misleading headline from "Tom's Guides".

Status
Not open for further replies.