Thermal Paste or Pad? MSI GP63-8RE-299MY

Jul 16, 2018
So I just bought a new laptop in Malaysia model number is MSI GP63-8RE-299MY. I am going get a shop to repaste for me I was told to get my own stuffs. I am confuse they told me to notebook use thermal pads for cpu/gpu? I already bought Grizzly Kryonaut. Do I need buy Thermal pads too? I thought all uses paste no?

Solution
The vrms and other chips definitely need thermal pads because they oscillate. The cpu and gpu only need thermal pads if the heatsink does not make contact or is uneven. You should apply them exactly how the manufacturers did though. If they put thermal pads on the cpu and gpu then it was for a reason.

Lutfij

Splendid
If the laptop is brand new, why are you reapplying the thermal paste on it? Does it have any thermal issues? If not, there's a saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On the other hand, did you make sure you're not voiding warranty by opening up a brand new laptop after purchase?

Jul 16, 2018
Applying thermal paste will likely void waranty unless they don't know about it. I confirmed it won't void the warranty only for ssd/ram upgrades. I thought since I will get shop to do upgrades I might as well get them to do thermal pasting.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
The vrms and other chips definitely need thermal pads because they oscillate. The cpu and gpu only need thermal pads if the heatsink does not make contact or is uneven. You should apply them exactly how the manufacturers did though. If they put thermal pads on the cpu and gpu then it was for a reason.

Solution