Thermal Shutdowns

farsearch

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I have a HP Pavilion Dv6 notebook. Recently it has been getting fairly hot while watching Netflix instantly, and eventually crashing. After it crashes I receive a message saying a Thermal Shutdown occurred because the computer overheated. Really looking for some help here because I don't think watching a movie should be enough to overheat a laptop.

Any suggestions? Any idea what the problem is?

I also think the thermal shutdown is a bit of an overreaction by the computer because it while it feels warm it doesn't feel like its burning hot.

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Buy a couple dollars worth of canned air and go to town blowing out the inside (through the vents, etc) do NOT use your breath as that solves nothing , does not get rid of dust at all and you are more than likely to spit...

If it is a recently purchased laptop, then you can either exchange it for a new one, or get a refund.

If you had it for a while, but the warranty is still valid, then get it serviced by HP.

If it is no longer under warranty, then get you can bring it to a laptop repair shop and have them look at it for you. It is likely the thermal paste has gone bad (turned to powder) and needs to be cleaned up and replaced. You can do this yourself, but it means you will need take your laptop apart to get to the heat sink and thermal paste. You will need to Google for the service manual of your specific HP Pavilion DV6 laptop since there are many versions of a "DV6" laptop.