These Are Things the Verizon iPhone 4 Can't Do

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Is the no data/voice at the same time even count for WIFI? I mean my Evo 4G doesn't let me do voice and 3G at the same time but i can use voice and wifi at same time. I don't have 4G in my area but i've heard you can do voice and 4g at the same time (cannot personally verify this). Just wondering.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Aside from not being able to put someone on "hold" it looks like the CDMA version is better. I'm glad I didn't get stuck with a GSM model.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Some also seem to be confused... CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) completely support call-waiting. Putting someone on "hold" is different. I'm not sure how "hold" works for those GSM folks as I just use call-waiting to switch between incoming calls.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Lets get something right before every one flips: The CDMA technology ISNT why the phone cant do these things. Its the Phone switching system used by Verizon. There is nothing that stops verizon from doing these things exactly the same as AT&T. However, they for whatever reason havent chosen to do so.
CDMA makes no difference for any "phone" features.

barsausa

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
[citation][nom]TwoDigital[/nom]Some also seem to be confused... CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) completely support call-waiting. Putting someone on "hold" is different. I'm not sure how "hold" works for those GSM folks as I just use call-waiting to switch between incoming calls.[/citation]

Exactly. Why would you need to put someone on hold, anyways? You wouldn't.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]iboomer[/nom]I love the GSM fanboi's. I just need to swapp my sim card... it is too hard to deal with a cdma... blah blah blahOn verizon, it is as simple as picking up the phone that you want, and dialing *228, and punching in you phone number. Takes about the same amount of time as your sim card. There is no need to contact customer service, unless you happen to be a complete blithering idiot.[/citation]Blah, blah blah...dial *228 blah, blah, blah...you are just a stoopid ignorant dumb a$s if you can't blah, blah, blah...takes as long as calling blah, blah, blah...CDMA is better, no conditioner is better, it makes the hair silky and smooth blah, blah, blah...

I love the CDMA fanboi's...

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
LOL, if your phone makes calls just shut up already. Its nice to see that iphone toolbags have moved on from arguing about the right way to hold the phone.

And yes you can put someone on "hold" on verizon, the old call gets muted out at the tower and the new call comes through to your phone, and you can flash or hang up and go back to the original call.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I like T-mobile over all other carriers for its superior customer service and I get less dropped calls than AT&T and doesn't cost an arm and a leg for Verizon service but... T-mobile doesn't have extensive 3G like the other networks and has a different 3G frequency so you can't just use any phone, you have to use their phones to take advantage of their 3G. Really, AT&T is the only service provider that allows you to buy ANY GSM Phone. Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile are locked down whereas AT&T is freedom to buy ANY unlocked phone without a contract.
I'm super stoked that iPhone users will hop on Verizon's network (not fast enough because people are waiting for the iPhone 5 or more likely iPhone 4GS) which will free-up AT&T service which means fewer dropped calls and faster 3G!

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]they forgot to mention you can not browse the web and be on a phone call at the same time with verizon.so much for picking movies and restraunts out with friends and loved ones.[/citation]

LTE has SIM cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.