These New Battery Technologies Will Change Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
There is like 10 new battery tech that is announced every year for many years back and we are still using plain lithium ion batteries. I'll believe it when it happens.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
There is like 10 new battery tech that is announced every year for many years back and we are still using plain lithium ion batteries. I'll believe it when it happens.

I was going to say the exact same thing. That goes for other technology as well like solar technology, medical advancements that you been hearing for years that don't ever make the light of day.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
wont happen, u wont get days of battery life, as soon as battery improve, the phone maker will make the phone thinner with smaller battery.

aReefer

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
A few other ideas should also be mentioned in this context.

Here in Israel, we have a startup called StoreDot (http://store-dot.com) that has created an organic battery that uses compounds derived from cancer research (believe it or not) that allow you to fully charge your phone battery in 60 seconds. That company is already in discussions with several large phone producers to market their tech.

Then there's wi-charge (http://www.wi-charge.com) that uses an infra-red beam to charge phones remotely - meaning no EM radiation or the associated potential heath risks.

These are just 2 examples.

Tmpmds

Estimable
May 2, 2015
I don't get the point to Photovoltaic Screens. You never want to use your mobile or tablet or laptop screen on direct exposure to the sun. And you try to keep it on a bag and/or pocket when not using it, so I think this tech is non sense, except for big ads screens on highways.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012
"as several new technologies take power delivery to new heights and open up possibilities like phones that run for days"

Ehhm.. Welcome to the 90s!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
wont happen, u wont get days of battery life, as soon as battery improve, the phone maker will make the phone thinner with smaller battery.
That is true and I hate it, the new "ultra-thin" phones feel so fragile in my hands I think I will break it and have to put a bulky case on it to make it feel usable. They might as well just put a bigger battery in there and advertise the actual multi day charge. I would love a phone that is thicker but has a MUCH larger battery and run time.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Worst problem about batteries is that they break down (and rather fast if not used correctly).
It is estimated that if you leave a battery at FULL LOAD for a year it will lose 50% of its capacity. It will lose 2% if it would be at 30-40%.
This issue is something everyone who doesn't buy a mobile phone every year has experienced and its the main problem of things like solar power for your home (its expensive and you still have to replace batteries every 8-10 years.

The day a batt works for a month in a phone/laptop and in a year it degrades to 25 days it will be a breakthrough, those are minor upgrades/updates (they are helpfull non the less, so its not like Im angry, just saying this article is overhyping it).

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
These companies typically get bought out and assimilated before they can really improve things. Capitalism has its limits.

erickmendes

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
These companies typically get bought out and assimilated before they can really improve things. Capitalism has its limits.

That's the main problem... One example: Here in Brasil we still use the old POTS phone system with ADSL... Telcos from here won't develop any further until the copper cables start to rot out...
If the tech does the job (barely...), they keep on milking it till the 'cow' fall dead... Then they change it to the next low cost 40 years old cow that can (barely) keep it up for the next 20 years....

royalcrown

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Yeah, they'll do the opposite of what we want by making the battey super small and the same crappy run time as now instead of just keeping it the size it is now. Most tablets and phones are light enough unless you have string for arms,

JoeKickass

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
"can charge a pair of iPhones... However, because there aren't yet any phones that have the receiving equipment built in, the phones need to be in a sleeve that contains WiTricity's receiver and a connection to the device's power port."

The iphone is not the only phone lol, the Galaxy S6 has wireless charging built in, and supports both Qi and PMA standards. You can buy a charging sticker for almost every other android phone

G

I don't get the point to Photovoltaic Screens. You never want to use your mobile or tablet or laptop screen on direct exposure to the sun. And you try to keep it on a bag and/or pocket when not using it, so I think this tech is non sense, except for big ads screens on highways.

nonsense for ad screens too - photovoltaics absorb light, make electricity. Great, but the light absorbtion works the other way too, from the screen to your eyes, meaning you need to increase the screen brightness and use more power. Since the PV's are not 100% efficient you end up losing more watts in screen brightness than you gain from the PV. Unless the screen is switched off and in sunlight and as you say who wants to cook their phone on the windowsill?

Commander Jameson

Estimable
Mar 30, 2014
The Amtel chip is also not so great. It's low power because it runs at 42 MHz. That makes it 30 times more power efficient than an Intel Atom, great! But it runs 30 times slower than a 1.2GHz Atom. So if they put it in a smartphone it will use the same power as an Atom - or alternatively it could run 30 times slower but last for 30 days on one charge! I guess that's ok if you don't mind waiting 60 seconds to accept a call...

sizzling

Distinguished
The key factor is getting these improvements without any negatives. We already have lithium batteries which can be charged from flat to full in sub 20 mins but if you do so the batteries life is significantly reduced. The other example is increasing the mha of the battery without increasing its internal resistance and reducing the current it is able to deliver.

I'm sure good progress is being made but history shows these improvements often come at a trade off with another aspect of the battery

Status
Not open for further replies.