Thief's SUV Gets Gas Pedal Disabled by OnStar

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
OMG!!!
Onstar is like the patriots from MGS series. Soon they'll get in all cars and decide when to halt all car movement and take over the world!!

omario

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
On is an occult name of an egyptian sun god, the light of the world
the star is a Pentagram symbolizing magick
all this in a circle and lunar watery blue
The high priests of the mysteries are in control
Their luciferian doctrine advances on the unaware

G

i am more surprised that someone with the last name ruiz, drives a tahoe. i have never seen that in ca

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
very good article, very funny story, very stupid poster too.

[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]I bet the trolls who flamed my first post would line up for a microchip in their right hand or forehead, without it they could not buy or sell, idiots.[/citation]

You are not required to buy a car with onstar dummy, you are using a computer now aren't you? what makes you think they can just access you info there and know your location there, or look at you through your own webcam, or listening in through your own mic. even if you think you are protected with software and routers, how do you know the government is in with the companies to specifically let them bypass their/your security, while making you think nothing is happening? You got a cell phone? I am sure you do, hell with cellphones they have triangulation that's even more accurate location method.

I think the government take more time and energy to tap into paranoid freaks than those who just mind their own business, if aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about, it's those who sound like they have something to hide they look for.

BTW GG on catching the asshole doing an illegal action to protect the law abiding citizen with technology. +1 OnStar

G

He fell in a pool, if I fell in a pool I'd swim out and keep running, if a "brother" falls into a poll he'd just flop around yelling - white man's pool keeping the brother down!

G

That Ruiz cousin is either very brave or very stupid. With a sawn-off shutgun pointed at my face, i'd give the thief my keys and gas money too!
And I'd pull out my Colt 45 and point it at his face. Except I'd pull the trigger.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Interesting concept.
The one flaw I see of OnStar however, is how much it costs. It's free for the first year for a new vehicle I believe though.

I would be angered if OnStar gave the police any information, regardless of situation, unless under a court order. But if something like this did happen, I would fully cooperate. Just like if my ISP gave my information to anyone who asked, I'd be pissed.
Hell, many ISPs won't give plice information unless under court order. Giving away client information is bad advertising. I hope OnStar is the same.

kelewan

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]But then I'd have to clean my own pee out of my car. Maybe I should just keep taking the train...[/citation]

And let someone else clean up your pee from the train?

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
They failed to mention that when you buy a new GM car that Onstar is free for the first year, then it is $300 every year after that.

G

"They failed to mention that when you buy a new GM car that Onstar is free for the first year, then it is $300 every year after that."

That's a bit rich for my blood, but is it offset by a reduction in vehicle insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.