Think I'm hacked

Saxlover59

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
I'm an older woman and know nothing of technology. I have a HP with windows 8.1 w/Bing. I know I'm being hacked, but can't afford a tech right now. I have tried reinstalling with my disks back to factory settings 3 times and my "hacker" is still here. I can't access my admin privileges, my pc runs at 100% when hack shows up. Like clock work from 2pm on. I can't uninstall anything, it's a nightmare. Any suggestions? I don't know what it is but a "homegroup" shows up a lot

Solution
Resetting the computer to factory settings should have wiped out your favorites and the programs you installed. If it didn't, then I suspect either your daughter didn't actually do the reset (user error or malware preventing the factory reset). I would go with a clean install of Windows. That should get rid of any malware. Do you have a secondary HDD/SSD on the computer? If so that should also be formatted, as malware/virus could reside there also. Likewise if you have any USB flash drives, scan them for malware also.

As Scottray said above, reset the router to factory settings. There is usually a small button on the back that you hold down for 5 - 10 seconds, or perhaps a small hole that a paperclip can be inserted to do the...

Saxlover59

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
I used to share it with my daughter. She set up the account. I don't know how to reset the password, we have a wireless router I think, or modem, not sure which. I've asked the kids for help, but they insist it's all "in my head", and think it's funny. I recently found several FB charges for games, that I play. I NEVER spend money to play games. Never have and never would. There are plenty of promo code sites. I pay all of my credit cards on line and do all of my banking. I've had to change my credit cards twice, and finally just cancel them. What do you mean by wireless network? And wouldn't I need admin privileges to do that?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If the router is yours (or you pay for the service), you should have admin access to the router. You access the router via an internal IP address and your web browser, usually 192.168.1.1

Type that address into where you would normally enter a web address (like www.google.com) and press the enter key. Do you see anything in the browser? Are you asked for a username and password?

Saxlover59

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Interesting, I'm not sure which one I need so I wrote everything down. On my Ethernet Adapter I have the physical address and the subnet mask etc. but underneath the subnet mask it says "lease obtained" 7-2-17 at 4:14 "lease expires" 7-2-17 5:44. It also has a DHCPv6 IAID and a DUID and from what I just googled if I'm understanding it right, it's not a good sign. And even though almost $700 has been stolen from me, it's impossible to get the police involved in internet related crimes.
Perhaps it's time to just start saving for a new computer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
None of that information is useful at this time. Googling isn't going to help you understand the issue any better (kind of like looking up diseases on WebMD...).

With the info you did capture, did you determine the address of your default gateway device? That would be your router's address and is where to start taking back your network, if unauthorized folks are using it.

Also, have you scanned your system for viruses and malware?

mdd1963

Distinguished
but for goodness sake...never trust anything that asks for you to reenter/reverify your info, *especially* credit card info.....

If your router is compromised, alas, a new computer will accomplish little....

If you don't have someone you trust, you will likely need a tech to talk you through how to reset/default your router,and possibly a format/reinstall on your PC to be safe.

How do you suspect you lost $700+? At any point did you reenter credit card info to someone? Cancel it if so....

Saxlover59

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
I lost the money because I recently found out that someone has been making charges on my credit cards for face book games also a FB ad has been up and charging me for 1 1/2 yrs. I wrote to FB several times and asked to see this ad (they charge me $17.99 a month) and I get messages back saying, "don't worry we're not charging you twice". I had no idea, as I rarely look at transactions, I just make payments. I just noticed that when I went to "control panel" then "uninstall programs" almost every program has been reinstalled on 6-3-17 with about 45 updates on the same date. I did the Malware program about two weeks ago, it got 35 viruses a couple of days later it wouldn't update anymore. It seems to me this is an actual person. Someone who knows what they are doing. And someone whos not doing this just to play some games for free. I'm really curious as to what this ad is that I've been paying for, I just feel like it could point me in the right direction. I thank you all for your help, but I think I'm going to need to get a tech in here to fix this. It's far beyond my comprehension

mdd1963

Distinguished

You are saying someone is updating your applications for you? (Per chance, are any of the programs in question included with Windows, and was there a massive WIndows update or reinstall at the date in question? (For instance, my Calc program shows having been installed this past 14 June, and I installed Windows back in May, so I suspect updates cause many new batches of different dates for elements of Windows)

Certainly, get a tech, a full wipe and reload would be less expensive than a 12 hour comprehensive investigation as to what, if anything, might be installed...; to be safe, I'd consider a new router as well, because you can't rule out someone nearby having wirelessly penetrated it..............

From another computer on another safe network, change all your passwords ASAP....

(Some malicious folks would charge you for random stuff just for fun, it is doubtful they'd leave a trail back to themselves via an add, but, thieves are sometimes idiots, so, check it out anyway)

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
Do you have a senior center or senior services in your area? Maybe they can help you find a PC technician that will help you for free. There's 2 things that need to be done. First, router needs to be updated and reset, both the admin and wifi passwords. Jot these down and keep them in a safe place. Second, the harddrive on your PC needs to be reformatted. Then Windows and your software needs to be reinstalled. This will get rid of any viruses and malware on the PC. There's no need for you to buy a new router or PC. You just need everything reset and secured.

Saxlover59

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
OK thx. One last thing, both times my daughter wiped out and reinstalled my computer to factory settings, I noticed all of my favorites and a couple of other programs were still there. I've tried uninstalling these programs first and it's telling me I need admin privileges which I haven't had access to for a while. Is there another way to uninstall them before I do the factory reset.
As to another question someone asked yes, someone is doing all the updating. Another thing I've not had access to. I had it on "auto" for Windows updates. It keeps getting changed to manual. The more time that goes by the less and less this computer belongs to me, it's a sickening feeling. Usually when I turn it on in the am I have to put in a password to get to windows. The last 2 mornings when I turned it on it was already in windows. I have Netflix instead of TV and it's effecting that now to. But again thx for all your help. And for whomever asked I did get some credit for a few charges when I first seen them, until it was brought to my attention that the charges had been ongoing for over a year, it was embarrassing.

USAFRet

Illustrious
This pains me.
I seriously wished you lived local to here.

This type of thing is rather hard to diagnose and fix via a forum like this. So many things going on.
And the intervention by your daughter who is probably only about a 1/2 step ahead of you in 'fixing this' isn't really helping.

I (or dozens of others in here) could get your system and network fixed up and locked down in an afternoon.

I'd recommend contacting a local community college, city resources, senior center.
Even then its a crapshoot, sorting out the competent from the well meaning idiots.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Resetting the computer to factory settings should have wiped out your favorites and the programs you installed. If it didn't, then I suspect either your daughter didn't actually do the reset (user error or malware preventing the factory reset). I would go with a clean install of Windows. That should get rid of any malware. Do you have a secondary HDD/SSD on the computer? If so that should also be formatted, as malware/virus could reside there also. Likewise if you have any USB flash drives, scan them for malware also.

As Scottray said above, reset the router to factory settings. There is usually a small button on the back that you hold down for 5 - 10 seconds, or perhaps a small hole that a paperclip can be inserted to do the reset. If your family members are not qualified to help you, perhaps contact a local community college IT instructor. They may be able to put you in contact with some students willing to help you out. If this was a pre-built computer you bought with Windows already installed, you should be able to get the installation DVD from the pc's maker (Dell, Lenovo, etc.) If you take it somewhere to do a clean install, they will have the necessary Windows iso files.

Solution

Saxlover59

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Again thank you all. It's all really good advise and I will look into it all. The factory reset is simple, as when my computer was still under warranty I had a problem and HP sent out a tech who came with the new disks and showed me how to do the factory reset. It consists of 5 numbered disks with the option of wiping out everything and reinstalling or basically wiping out everything you've added and keeping all the hardware and software and continuing. This has been going on for a while so I've seen the changes going on with it. One day my start menu will have 4 items next day there will be 8 or so for a week, then it goes back to 4. The dates changing on the programs, most of which are now 6-3-17 I believe, about an hour ago I noticed a new icon on my desktop titled, "removed apps". It's like being robbed every day. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow to see if I can't get some help from somewhere, other than my well meaning daughter. It's a great thing there are sites like this, but trying to help someone with my level of technological knowledge is like trying to teach someone French in a day. I guess I was hoping there might have been a "quick fix" I may have understood. But I grew up with a TI-99, playing Mario, not WOW. Thanks again people.

Saxlover59

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

Thats good to know, thx