Thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop...

Euphroc

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
I currently have the hp pavilion notebook 15 - ab153n and I've been wanting to replace the slow 5400 RPM hard drive it originally came with it. This wouldn't be a problem if I had some courage and actually knew how to take this thing apart however, obviously being the noob I am cannot. I've searched how to take the laptop apart and to my terrible luck is probably the most difficult laptop to take apart (in my book). Then, I thought why not just get an external SSD to hold my operating system. Upon researching, I learned using an SSD through an USB port prevents the SSD from reaching its highest potential (so it's kind of like a bottleneck). Now I am here to ask all of you, what should I do? Is having the external SSD worth it?

Solution
I'll post this, then make some links to SSD and USB enclosure below this.

1. Removal should be relatively simple. Google the model to find a video, or just unscrew parts of the cover to look for the HDD.

2. HDD usually is fairly simple to remove once you see it, but may have an ADAPTER on the end and another piece to mount it in. Just note how that goes so you can put it back together.

3. CLONING:
Machrium Reflect Free is a good idea, however you'll need a USB-to-SATA device to mount the SSD to clone it.

*I may have used Samsung's software to clone as well.

4. Once clone simply swap them, and boot up to make sure it works

5. Once it works, put the HDD into the USB enclosure to use to make a BACKUP IMAGE of the SSD in case...

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. An external drive is indeed a lot slower than an internal.

2. You can't install the OS on an external drive. Windows does not like that.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Did you find a youtube video showing how to replace the hard drive? that's usually the best way to see how to do it and decide if you want to.
Another option if you don't use the optical drive and can get it out easily is to buy a caddy to adapt the drive bay to a 2.5" drive mount and install the SSD in there. It's a fairly common mod so the caddies are cheap and easy to find, they don't always look the best from the outside though.

I'll post this, then make some links to SSD and USB enclosure below this.

1. Removal should be relatively simple. Google the model to find a video, or just unscrew parts of the cover to look for the HDD.

2. HDD usually is fairly simple to remove once you see it, but may have an ADAPTER on the end and another piece to mount it in. Just note how that goes so you can put it back together.

3. CLONING:
Machrium Reflect Free is a good idea, however you'll need a USB-to-SATA device to mount the SSD to clone it.

*I may have used Samsung's software to clone as well.

4. Once clone simply swap them, and boot up to make sure it works

5. Once it works, put the HDD into the USB enclosure to use to make a BACKUP IMAGE of the SSD in case something goes wrong (so wait for a few weeks to make sure it works fine before doing that. You can Google tools but I use Acronis True Image)

Solution
250GB SSD: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kL7YJ/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam

(be warned there are some low quality SSD's which fail more regularly. Also, see how much CAPACITY you require in File Manager. If you use close to 200GB now you may want to consider a larger SSD. Otherwise this is my top choice.)

USB3, 2.5" enclosure: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392043&cm_re=usb3_2.5%22-_-17-392-043-_-Product

This works with USB2 as well but with reduced speeds, probably maxing out just over 30MBps. It doesn't matter much as you'd rarely use this external drive. Basically to make a backup IMAGE (which you should update periodically) and if you have space for anything else.

Acronis True Image (not free) has a feature you can set so if it's time for a backup, and you insert the USB drive it will do the backup. It's handy for laptops to set that up then set yourself a REMINDER in Outlook or wherever (maybe once per month) to attach the drive.