thinking of upgrading ram

pratikjee10

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
i have a gtx960 m 4gb gddr5 , and 8gb ram ddr3l . can anyone suggest if upgrading the ram would boost my f.p.s in games....? plz someone help or what series of ram would be more compatible eg - ddr4 or ddr5 ?

Solution
Your laptop uses ddr3l ram. Not DDR4 or DDR5.
If you want to update ram, go to a ram vendor web site such as Kingston and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter your laptop and you will get a list of supported ram upgrades.
I would not expect much if anything out of a ram upgrade.
Check cpu-Z ram info.
If adding ram lets you go from single channel mode to dual channel mode, you will gain a slight bit more compute power.

If you are gaming, play while plugged in.
Otherwise windows will implement battery saving power reductions.
Be certain that you are using the discrete 960m chip and not any integrated graphics adapter.

Likely, if gaming is your thing, your only way for better fps is to reduce settings or buy a new laptop.

For general...

unclebun

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
You probably won't see much of a change in game performance by increasing system RAM.

If your motherboard uses DDR3 RAM, that's the only kind you would be able to put on it.

geofelt

Distinguished
Your laptop uses ddr3l ram. Not DDR4 or DDR5.
If you want to update ram, go to a ram vendor web site such as Kingston and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter your laptop and you will get a list of supported ram upgrades.
I would not expect much if anything out of a ram upgrade.
Check cpu-Z ram info.
If adding ram lets you go from single channel mode to dual channel mode, you will gain a slight bit more compute power.

If you are gaming, play while plugged in.
Otherwise windows will implement battery saving power reductions.
Be certain that you are using the discrete 960m chip and not any integrated graphics adapter.

Likely, if gaming is your thing, your only way for better fps is to reduce settings or buy a new laptop.

For general use, replacing the hard drive with a ssd will be a most satisfying experience.

Solution