Thinkpad Edge535 stuck on "windows is loading files..."

AlexWGB

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
When I power up my Thinkpad E535, I get a black screen that says "Windows is loading files..." and it won't boot up. I've tried using my recovery disk, and when after a few seconds it says "recovery failed".

It did this two years ago when it was under warranty, and Lenovo replaced the motherboard. I'm assuming that this is the same problem as before and I'm wondering if it makes any sense at all to have this machine repaired now that it's out of warranty. (It could also use a new battery). Any thoughts on anything I should check, such as unseated memory or cables? Or should I just toss it and buy something else?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps to identify what may be causing that problem.
- Do a hard reset first, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and see if the laptop will boot up but make sure not to put the battery in yet.
- If it's still stuck at the loading screen, remove the HDD of you laptop first then power it back on and see if it will be stuck at the same screen because if it don't it means you can just run your recovery disk again that should fix that problem.
- If the recovery will fail again do get a new copy from Lenovo Support because it could just be a damaged disc.

AlexWGB

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

No luck! I tried removing the HDD and got the same results. While I had the cover removed I also checked to see that the DIMM was seated securely. All appeared to be in order.

I had a set of recovery discs from Lenovo which they had sent me in an attempt to correct the problem two years ago. Now, as then, the machine will run through the three application recovery discs and the two OS recovery discs and give a "recovery failed" message. I notice that while it is loading data from the discs there are a number of entries that say "file not found" or something like that.

At this point I'm thinking that the motherboard must be cooked again, and that it's not worth putting $$ into it. (It was a "factory refurbished" unit from the Lenovo Outlet, so I guess I got what I paid for). But thanks for the suggestions.